IGNORED

G310GS suspension options

NapaBavarian

NapaBavarian

I've been looking for something small to mount on the back of my sprinter and came across the g310gs,  my experience is mostly with larger bikes, 370# wet fits the bill for a hitch carrier, but I keep reading about the soft suspension even for 170# riders, are there any upgrades for stiffness?  I found a few aimed at lowering the ride height, but I prefer a solid ground connection, at a touch over 6' a low rider is not in my cards.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey N/B, I believe that bike hasn't gained much traction around here. Probably why the answers aren't flying your way. :dontknow: Inseam is not an issue, how about a WR 250 R? Not overly tall, and reasonably ok suspension out of the box.

Since Tewks mentioned alternatives I’d first consider the KTM 390 Adventure coming in a few months. A little more weight but far better suspension and power.  You can probably test ride a 390 Duke to get a feel for power. In any case, I’ve had a WR250 and liked it but you’ll have to add an aftermarket tank to get any kind of range.  I’d give the nod to a WR for some serious off-road riding but in other categories the KTM is going to be very hard to compete against. Have ridden  the little Duke a fair bit and it’s a hoot, hence my opinion.

P.S. I have a Sprinter RV (LTV Serenity) and see no issues with going as far as 450 pounds of tongue weight. I’ve had a full 500 pounds on the tongue pulling an open car trailer and there may have been 1/2 inch of rear sag and barely noticeable. 

• 1 year later...

OK    Recently I had my RT serviced by an independent  mech,, its a day long job so he lent me his spare bike ,it was a BMW GS310....Now I have no beef with small bikes I own a Royal Enfield Himalayan 410cc.   I cannot tell you how much I hated that 310 ,,it was so gutless,it had no life in it,,  I rode it about 50ish miles but that was enough,,,  I could not wait to get rid of it,,   Perhaps I,m just too old,,I like low reving bikes ..My Himalayan is a long stroke motor and the power (only 24 horses) is low down whereupon the 310 is highup the rev range,,,  is it ME  !!!     well I know what I like,,,and I do,nt like that bike one bit....

• 2 years later...

I have a G310GS and really like it. I understand Phil's comment about wanting power at low RPMs but the little 310 is geared very well for the engine and with a 10,000 RPM redline is for more capable than the Enfield if ridden as designed. I weigh 225 and have ridden it quite a bit off pavement with my old F650 Chain Gang pals and have no complaints with the suspension. It is a little soft but it is an adventure bike, not a dual sport and the suspension is nice on road and long rides.

On 2/12/2022 at 9:46 PM, Phil Swain said:

OK    Recently I had my RT serviced by an independent  mech,, its a day long job so he lent me his spare bike ,it was a BMW GS310....Now I have no beef with small bikes I own a Royal Enfield Himalayan 410cc.   I cannot tell you how much I hated that 310 ,,it was so gutless,it had no life in it,,  I rode it about 50ish miles but that was enough,,,  I could not wait to get rid of it,,   Perhaps I,m just too old,,I like low reving bikes ..My Himalayan is a long stroke motor and the power (only 24 horses) is low down whereupon the 310 is highup the rev range,,,  is it ME  !!!     well I know what I like,,,and I do,nt like that bike one bit....

I had a similar experience.  All day job at dealer.  Given 310 as a loaner.  Gutless and ill handling.  in the late 60's I had a Honda 305 scrambler that'd run rings around the 310.

duckhawk64

I bought a 99 suzuki dr350 with 1900 miles in it. Suweeet, but not a 4 laner bike. Better for the 15 minute commute on 45 mph roads.  It does 85, but I don't want to do that on a bike that small. 5'5", 140#, the bike is lowered and fits me well. .

So, I  just bought the older sister, 2007 suzuki dr650, lowered with 4 or 5k mileage, from THE SAME NICE GUY as the 350. I had a 95 dr650 and that bike had plenty of power for my size.

I had a 95 k75 with low miles, it it was too slow for passing cars on two laners. 

My main point is by changing sprokets, you can dial either on of the DRs in. 

An underpowered bike feels dangerous to me. I took the 19,r1250rt out last Wednesday.  58 degrees in southern Wisconsin.  Now I'm home sick.

Screenshot_20240201_164352_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240125_192321_Gallery.jpg