IGNORED

Vibration

Scooter350

So I bought a 06 1200 sight unseen well actually my wife bought it for me lol anyways it’s had a rattle that is pretty constant in my cruise rpm range 3-4K did a oil change and went on a 400 mile trip and their was the noise but no real vibration to speak of. A few weeks later I did the rest of the big service all fluids plugs valves etc and their seems to be a vibration now that puts my hands and feet to sleep. I’ve considered replacing the plugs again just to rule that out but I’ve also read about stick coil issues cam/timing chains balance shaft vibes and of course the (its a boxer it’s what they do) folks but I find it hard guys can ride days on end on a bike vibrating like this. Pulling in the clutch At 70mph and letting the engine go to idle smoothes it out 100%. Reving it at the same speed but with clutch in brings the vibration back. As expensive as parts are for these things I don’t really want to throw parts at it. I’ve planned to take it to the dealer for a inspection just haven’t had warm enough weather to make the run just yet. 

Since the bike is new to you I would think a tuneup would not be out of line. for me just making sure the Throttle bodies are balanced always smoothed out the twins I have owned.

That kind of vibration is definitely not normal. My 06 is the smoothest in that exact rev range so something is going on indeed. Watching this with interest...

Corazon de Pollo

On my Hexhead increased vibrations usually signalled the throttle bodies needed synchronization. Also check the final drive main bearing: some folks reported increased footpeg vibrations when it was starting to fail.

I synced throttle bodies but will be doing again as I found yesterday the valves are off when I bought the bike the adjuster for the rh cable was actually lose and doing it’s own thing. Final drive bearing was replaced about 6000 miles who by the dealer per shop records. 

14 hours ago, Scooter350 said:

So I bought a 06 1200 sight unseen well actually my wife bought it for me lol anyways it’s had a rattle that is pretty constant in my cruise rpm range 3-4K did a oil change and went on a 400 mile trip and their was the noise but no real vibration to speak of. A few weeks later I did the rest of the big service all fluids plugs valves etc and their seems to be a vibration now that puts my hands and feet to sleep. I’ve considered replacing the plugs again just to rule that out but I’ve also read about stick coil issues cam/timing chains balance shaft vibes and of course the (its a boxer it’s what they do) folks but I find it hard guys can ride days on end on a bike vibrating like this. Pulling in the clutch At 70mph and letting the engine go to idle smoothes it out 100%. Reving it at the same speed but with clutch in brings the vibration back. As expensive as parts are for these things I don’t really want to throw parts at it. I’ve planned to take it to the dealer for a inspection just haven’t had warm enough weather to make the run just yet. 

Morning  Scooter350

Your 1200 has a large piston (opposed offset pistons) boxer engine with a single balance shaft so they do have an inherent  buzzing in the (+/-) 4K operating range. Some 1200 bikes  are worse than others & some riders are bothered by the buzz & other riders not so much. Once a rider tunes into, & focuses on, the vibration then it is always there & easy to focus on.  If the rider focuses on just riding & enjoying the motorcycle then the inherent buzz is hardly noticed by most riders. 

At (+/-) 4K the buzzing is mostly engine mechanical as firing induced issues usually ALSO appear at lower RPM's.

If you can bring the very same buzzing back by revving in neutral that you are feeling when riding in gear at 4k then  that more points to engine mechanical as you are opening the throttle plates 'way' less to maintain 4k unloaded-engine than at road speed with loaded-engine.

Difference between neutral revving & road-load revving is/are DIFFERENT throttle openings for each load condition  but a common RPM for each condition.  

Do recheck your TB balance but remember that free revving in neutral is not the same throttle plate opening  as is the throttle opening while riding at the same RPM.  You might also try bringing your non adjustable (stepper controlled) idle balance difference  into your open throttle balance adjustment (ie if your hot engine stepper controlled  curb idle balance is 2" h2o higher on the left then set your (non held stepper)  mid RPM cross side balance to that same 2" higher h2o on the left). But at 4K you are pretty well above the nominal TB adjustment RPM & well above the RPM area that TB balance effects engine vibration. 

If you over filled the engine oil at last service that has been reported to increase engine vibration (I haven't ever been able to prove that myself but many have reported that as fact).

On my personal 1200RT I have added heavier handlebar end weights (helps with the felt handlebar buzzing) and removed one handlebar attachment bolt on each side then shimmed the bar attachment to upper triple tree  up slightly with very-thin washers (kind of turns the handlebars into tuned bars)  & that has greatly helped with the rider felt handlebar buzzing. (look at how the 1200RT camhead mounts their handle bars). 

As for your foot peg buzzing (I presume that you are feeling a higher frequency  buzz rather than a low frequency vibration?), make sure that all of your engine & chassis bolts are tight. Also verify that your muffler & exhaust are not grounding out to the center stand &  that the rear  muffler mounting is assembled correctly & doing it's job of isolation.