IGNORED

Helmet security options when away from bike

migrant

I don't have a top box, don't really want one. I know my helmet will fit in one of the side cases, but not when loaded for a trip. Most of my stops, the helmet is cradled between the handlebars, keeping the non-locking GPS out of sight.

I've never had my helmet stolen, but there may be times when I'd like to secure it to the bike.

What do you do with your helmet when you stop to eat, etc?

If it is not brought indoor, then I either leave it on the seat or use a cable/padlock to secure it to the grab rail.  Laura has a Shark and I have a Schuberth C4, both are modular.  It is all about opportunity, which us why I even lock them up in the parking lot while attending Mass. Yes, church.   It just all depends on the area and my gut instinct.

• Like 2

I carry a 6 foot plastic-coated steel cable with loops on each end. When stopped I put the cable through the helmet and some part of the bike and put a padlock through the loops. It won’t stop real thieves, but will stop a passerby from picking up the your stuff. I put it through the sleeve of my jacket too when it’s left on the bike.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Ken S said:

I carry a 6 foot plastic-coated steel cable with loops on each end. When stopped I put the cable through the helmet and some part of the bike and put a padlock through the loops. It won’t stop real thieves, but will stop a passerby from picking up the your stuff. I put it through the sleeve of my jacket too when it’s left on the bike.

Ditto except I use a 6’ cable with integrated locking mechanism.  It can be threaded thru the sleeves of two jackets and chin bars of two helmets and an attachment point on the bike

image.jpeg.e7d559151182031ada84c50446be51a1.jpeg

• Like 1
Corazon de Pollo

I don't know if they still manufacture it, but there was a product called "Helmet Guardian" around about a decade ago. It was basically a double lock (two helmets) you installed behind the license plate. Just remember to buy some rivets of the right size if your license plate is riveted in place. They also had a kit to install it on some aftermarket top box carriers.

I had it on the Kawasaki and then moved it on the Hexhead. Very very good product.

These days on the Wethead I just use an ordinary bicycle lock through the passenger handle. I found it tampered with once so it definetely helps. :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like Ken S. I also use a 6 foot braided cable with a short shackled quality lock. You can cover your helmet with your jacket in case of rain too. With the Helmet Guardian your helmet is upside down and will fill with rain.

At the hotel I use the above to lock two bikes together when hotel mgmt won’t let us park up front. Failsafe? No, but it will keep the few honest folks left...honest. Just be sure and have two or more keys with you. We always bring extra bike keys/fobs and distribute them to each other in case one of us does something stupid. 

8283013C-F17B-451D-B426-B4F6C5DD37D2.jpeg

• Like 1
14 hours ago, migrant said:

I don't have a top box, don't really want one. I know my helmet will fit in one of the side cases, but not when loaded for a trip. Most of my stops, the helmet is cradled between the handlebars, keeping the non-locking GPS out of sight.

I've never had my helmet stolen, but there may be times when I'd like to secure it to the bike.

Morning migrant

I have been riding for many years (before motorcycle endorsements were even required)  & in that time have only seen one helmet stolen & that was stolen from inside a restaurant (or more likely misplaced).  And that helmet was returned to the owner a while  later when it was found in a back room (no one knows how it ended up there).

I do know of a rider that I talked with a  couple of years ago that had a nice Ducati with some side damage,  his story was that he had locked his helmet to the motorcycle with a cable & someone was seen yanking on the helmet & pulling the bike over  (supposedly outside a bar late at night). I didn't know the guy personally so can't comment on the validity of the story. 

It just came up casually as he noticed another rider locking his helmet to his motorcycle.

Personally, I never lock my helmet up, haven't ever had one stolen,  if someone wants my stinky old helmet hopefully my insurance will buy me a nice new one that doesn't smell, isn't all dinged up, & probably safer than the old dog I now ride with.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning migrant

............. Personally, I never lock my helmet up, haven't ever had one stolen,  if someone wants my stinky old helmet hopefully my insurance will buy me a nice new one that doesn't smell, isn't all dinged up, & probably safer than the old dog I now ride with.

While for the most part I agree the concern I would have is having my helmet stolen in the middle of nowhere USA and having to replace it while on a trip.  And being a somewhat hard to fit Long Oval XXL that would be an issue.   As a result I usually carry one of these along with a short cable loop.  Works great whenever I feel then need to lock up. 

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/helmetlok-ii-helmet-lock

• Like 1
szurszewski
13 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Morning migrant

I have been riding for many years (before motorcycle endorsements were even required)  & in that time have only seen one helmet stolen & that was stolen from inside a restaurant (or more likely misplaced).  And that helmet was returned to the owner a while  later when it was found in a back room (no one knows how it ended up there).

I don't have as many years riding experience, but I'm in the same boat - I have locked my helmet up from time to time, but I almost always just leave it perched on the bike somewhere it won't fall off and won't collect whatever (which is to say, I keep it upside-up). I've never had a problem, and my helmet is often doing the important job of covering the ignition...so people can't see that I left the key in it. ;) If I'm ever anywhere I worry about the helmet going away, I just take it with me. 

BUT a very good friend of mine just a few weeks ago (and right before I stopped by for a visit) had his helmet snatched off his bike. He was particularly annoyed as he'd just replaced the full liner set because he couldn't find a new helmet he liked as much as his old one. He said he usually does lock it (lives in SF Bay area) but had not this time as he was, of course, just going to be away from the bike a few minutes...sigh.

(And even after his story, I'm still too lazy to lock mine up!)

The problem with getting it stolen because it wasn't locked up or taken with you, is that you only have one person to be mad at if it happens.

szurszewski
3 hours ago, Hosstage said:

The problem with getting it stolen because it wasn't locked up or taken with you, is that you only have one person to be mad at if it happens.

I get your point, but I’m not willing to give up being mad at a thief just because I made the job easier. Just because something bad can happen is not reason enough to expect it will happen. That would be really depressing - and it would make motorcycling a really really bad idea!

Hydrashok158

I carry a 4 foot heavy bicycle lock cable with a 4 digit tumbler. This way I can lock my helmets and also run it through the sleeves of jackets etc. It won't stop the must determined thieves, but it stops the casual ones.

Motorhead1977

Helmets are always locked up in either the top box; via cable lock or taken with us. Both I and my wife have Arai helmets at north of $700 so I'm not willing to tempt anyone who may be weak willed. Have CL on the RT and also installed the Old-timers Navi lock for the same reason. While I tend to trust people until proven wrong, why make it easier for someone with nefarious intent.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dann said:

I use a Ztechnique license plate lock. Good for two helmets.

It lets me use the top and side cases for other stuff

Ztechnick helmet lock.jpg

I use one like it.  It can be defeated in about 2 seconds.  But the point is it takes the crime of opportunity off the table and adds a tiny bit of work to the theft.  You guys know the old saying "locks only keep honest people out".

On 3/27/2020 at 8:36 AM, LAF said:

I use one like it.  It can be defeated in about 2 seconds.  But the point is it takes the crime of opportunity off the table and adds a tiny bit of work to the theft.  You guys know the old saying "locks only keep honest people out".

I agree It's useful for short stops.

• 5 weeks later...

I don't run the cable through the quick release.  I run it through the bottom of the helmet and out the face shield.  The little cable they sell is long enough to go through my helmet, one sleeve of my jacket which I place over the helmet, and then lock to the side rails on my RT.  It is a thin cable so will at best keep out honest people.

helmet_lok_cable_300x300[1].jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Rob Nowell
On 3/4/2020 at 3:44 PM, migrant said:

I just bought a Lidlox.  It replaces one (or both) of the handlebar end weight(s).  I think I am gonna like it a  lot!

FlyingFinn

I've had a helmet stolen from m parked bike one time (many, many years ago by now), but that hasn't substantially changed by habit's when it comes to locking or not.

There is on "low security", no cost, and no additional junk, option that I use pretty often.

When stashing the riding cloves etc. into the trunk box or to a saddle bag,  and while pulling a hat or other "street gear" from the case, I stuff the chin strap between the closed case lid.

If there is a large enough "hard part" at the end of the strap, it locks the helmet pretty effectively to the bike.

On helmets with a D-ring strap, there might not be any "hard part" at the end of the strap, and in that case this trick is a cosmetic deterrent at best. 

MachineJoe
12 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

I just bought a Lidlox.  It replaces one (or both) of the handlebar end weight(s).  I think I am gonna like it a  lot!

I put on Lidlox as well. I'm very happy with them as there is nothing to get out or put away to secure or retrieve them.

• 1 month later...

I've carried this with me for years (Bosvision Ultra-Secure 4-Digit Combination Lock with 3 Feet Retractable Cable).  Good for helmets/jackets/etc...

Not terribly secure, but it is inexpensive and very small.  All I'm really looking for is to not be the easiest target in the lot. 

• Like 2