IGNORED

Clutch Switch?

bulletbill

Clutch Switch stopped working, wouldn’t start  with clutch pulled inn while in gear, did the cruise control check showed the switch showed bad.

Well I replaced the switch today and still no start in gear?? What have I missed??

OH I have a 2007 R1200RT.

I will admit that this is beyond my knowledge, but could there be something internal that's malfunctioning? Possibly something in/on/around the clutch itself? Just some ideas to toss around...

Are you sure it is the clutch switch? Put it on the center stand, retract the side stand, try to start it in gear to rule out the side stand switch.

13 hours ago, bulletbill said:

Clutch Switch stopped working, wouldn’t start  with clutch pulled inn while in gear, did the cruise control check showed the switch showed bad.

Well I replaced the switch today and still no start in gear?? What have I missed??

OH I have a 2007 R1200RT.

Morning  bulletbill

Is the side stand in the up position?  

If side stand is in the correct position then you probably need to get a GS-911 on that bike to verify clutch switch operation, or use an ohmmeter to verify that the clutch switch is actually working when you move the clutch lever.

It might (possibly) be an incorrect side stand switch input signal as the side stand switch on the hexhead bike is a 3 wire deal that uses a 2nd input circuit  to verify stand position (checksum). If the input checksum isn't correct then it might inhibit clutch lever input during in-gear starting. (note: I haven't ever personally verified this, just a guess based on how the computer reads the side stand switch inputs).

Maybe put bike on center stand, then use zip tie to hold clutch lever in, then with trans in gear try starting while wiggling the side stand in & out with a very  slight movement up/down.

You might also re-check the clutch switch connectors to verify that a terminal pin hasn't been pushed back out of contact. 

Check it all, side stand, etc. actually took the clutch switch out and taped it closed still enough?? Put the skin back on (did the plugs and values) while she was naked.

Sounds like a 911 is next??

Any more suggestion??

2 hours ago, bulletbill said:

Check it all, side stand, etc. actually took the clutch switch out and taped it closed still enough?? Put the skin back on (did the plugs and values) while she was naked.

Sounds like a 911 is next??

Any more suggestion??

Afternoon  bulletbill

Maybe a couple, 

First, is to unplug the switch  then jump the two wires together in the chassis side harness pigtail. (that will eliminate the switch). Just because switch is new doesn't mean it is good. 

Next, try disconnecting the battery for about an hour (to re-set BMS-K),  then re-connect battery & do a new TPS relearn.

If still no joy then trace the two wires in the clutch switch chassis side pig tail back the BMS-K to verify they are not cut, mouse eaten, or pulled out of the BMS-K connector. 

Otherwise, probably need to get a GS-911 on it to verify clutch switch operation & verify side stand checksum input.  

I replaced mine last year on my 07

It worked for one day and then stopped again. (???):5146:

The cruise control is not affected, so I left it alone.

The GS-911gave me the following fault code:

10104 Clutch Switch faulty
The fault is currently present.

First I want to thank all that has replied!

So here is where I am, rode this weedend and the cruise works! Still no start in gear?? I am going to disconnect the battery ground lated today leave it off for a hour plus. Then what do I do??

On the 2005 RT I used to own, if I pulled the clutch in with the kickstand down, it would not start in gear. If I put the kickstand up, then pulled in the clutch, it would start in gear. Don’t ask me why.

57 minutes ago, JohnH said:

On the 2005 RT I used to own, if I pulled the clutch in with the kickstand down, it would not start in gear. If I put the kickstand up, then pulled in the clutch, it would start in gear. Don’t ask me why.

Afternoon  JohnH

That is the way BMW designed it to work for safety reasons. 

2 hours ago, bulletbill said:

First I want to thank all that has replied!

So here is where I am, rode this weedend and the cruise works! Still no start in gear?? I am going to disconnect the battery ground lated today leave it off for a hour plus. Then what do I do??

Afternoon  bulletbill

Just re-connect battery then do a new TPS relearn___

After battery re-connect-- 

*Switch on the ignition (do not start engine).

--then
*Without starting the engine, fully open & close the throttle once or twice so that the control unit of the BMW engine management system can register the throttle-valve positions.

--then
*Switch off the ignition.

That's it.  

Hallelujah, Thank you Dirtrider!!!! Disconnected Battery for One Hour, Reconnected, reset TPS put her in gear hit the start button and the honry thing (The other woman) STARTED!!!

Somebody want to go get a cup of coffee!!

Again Thank everybody for the reply"s I'm the old guy and this Tech stuff is hard on us OLD FOLks.