IGNORED

Leatt GPX 6.5 Carbon Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Leatt GPX 6.5 Carbon Helmet Review

If you’re looking for an intermediate oval DOT and ECE 22-05 approved carbon-fiber helmet for off-road use, then read on about the updated Leatt GPX 6.5 Carbon.

This made in China lid is the lightest helmet I’ve ever worn which translates to less neck fatigue on long riding days. A lightweight yet protective helmet is especially meaningful when riding off-road. With heavier helmets the heft starts getting to you after a few hours of aggressive riding and repetitive jarring.

LeattGPX65Helmet

In case you didn’t know, Leatt, as in Dr. Chris Leatt, is a trauma surgeon from South Africa. He’s also a passionate off-road rider who uses his expertise to create protective gear for MX-style riding. With his helmet design, the risk of a concussion is reduced by 30% and 40% for rotational acceleration to head and brain. Even the visor is designed to breakaway in a crash. And to aid in emergency removal, you have Leatt’s proprietary quick release safety cheek pads. No wonder the brand Leatt is synonymous for safety in our motorcycle industry.

The large lid tips the scale at about 2.93 lb. and uses the standard double “D” loop securing mechanism. And three shell sizes accommodate six sizes from XS–2XL. I found the GPX 6.5 to be very comfortable in part to how lightweight it is as well as the choice materials for the internal padding. I also didn’t experience any obstruction of my field of view.

When it comes to airflow, the GPX 6.5 Carbon excels by having over 190 honeycomb vents and 11 large vents, all are non-closable to keep the heat flowing off your head. However, the massive amount of venting translates to a compromise—there’s no real sound dampening. The anti-microbial, high-evaporable dual liner system snaps out easily for washing. And an optional hands-free sip tube routing kit is also available.

Overall, I see this helmet suited for long days of hot weather, aggressive riding with a focus on being lightweight and more than ample venting.

MSRP: $499.99
Leatt.com

PROS:

• Highly vented helmet
• One of the most protective MX helmets
• Lightweight

CONS:

• Loud
• Non closable vents

Where to Buy:

Revzilla btn

iUnsJ4WMSmQ