IGNORED

Spring Tire Deals

Rinkydink

Received an email from Linky this morning touting some fairly good tire combo deals on multiple tire brands. Some with $50-$60 rebates to boot. 
Michelin PR5GT ‘17 RT f/r combo $386 plus $50 rebate. Get you some

• Like 1
On 3/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, Bernie said:

Bridgestone also has tire rebates till the end of March. 

Thanks Bernie!  jb

Oh, heart breaker.  I purchased a set of Road 5 GT (combo) but it was last Saturday.  :88:

On a good note, I will have fresh tread for Newport, TN.  So I got that going for me.  Which is nice.

• Like 3

MotoSport dropped the price on the non GT Road 5 combo by $40 something from Tuesday to Wednesday this week. ($383 to $340) The rebate makes them under $300 net. I have 8,000 miles on the same combo with about 40% tread remaining so I ordered another set of them. That is really something for me because I have not liked the Pilot Road series since the PR2s but the R5 feels really good to me at 40/42 on my 2007 RT. I did not like these Roads running the old school pressures of 34/38. Thank you Bernie for suggesting higher pressure!

• Like 1

Sportmax Roadsmart III 120/70ZR-17 58W and 180/55ZR-17 73W

131.64 and 172.43 respectively

pricing was from Nov and still the same today

Maybe they are a clearing house or last years rubber?

2 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

Maybe they are a clearing house or last years rubber?

Their prices for the PR5GTs are the same as other places so they are not just a clearing house of some kind.

I'm confused. Why are you all quoting the age of the tires? I presume that ones that are, say, less than a year old are OK.

21 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

I'm confused. Why are you all quoting the age of the tires? I presume that ones that are, say, less than a year old are OK.

I don’t think it happens as much on popular tire choices but there has been in the past, people receiving tires that were years old from sitting in some warehouse somewhere. Especially on some older not so popular tires for aging scoots. 

You do know how persnickety we BMW riders are? 👍

• Haha 1

The way my tires wear on my RT, especially the rear, it is HIGHLY likely that the age of the tire will not be a factor.  Just sayin'   :bike:

• Like 4
On 3/18/2020 at 3:32 PM, Pappy35 said:

Someone mentioned earlier that perhaps current low prices were because they were old stock shipping out of a clearing house.

I have been buying the Bridgestone T-31 GT at around $230 shipped for a couple years at least. So nothing to the "they are old stock" that I can make sense of. 

57 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I have been buying the Bridgestone T-31 GT at around $230 shipped for a couple years at least. So nothing to the "they are old stock" that I can make sense of. 

The old stock comment I deemed speculative so I replied with the age of the Road 5s I just bought.

Yes, the pricing on Bridgestone T series tires has been remarkably stable since the BT-023s were ~$230 set in 2010, T-30s, T31s for a decade. My go-to tires in non GT and GT spec for ten years.

On 3/18/2020 at 3:32 PM, Pappy35 said:

Afternoon Pappy35 

Not that confusing to us old-timers. Not a lot of tire age worries from todays on-line  high volume retailers as almost all drop ship from the same  local high volume wholesaler warehouses (mainly Tucker Rocky in my area). I can order tires from 4 completely different on-line retailers & they will all come to me drop-shipped from the very same local Tucker Rocky warehouse. I haven't ever found a drop-shipped tire from Tucker Rocky be more than few months old (or at least less than a year old).

Go back in time where  tire age could be a (small)  problem (especially in the spring) as back then there were more independent tire stocks in local independently owned warehouses, or in old stock at motorcycle dealerships. There would be springtime old stock purges at significantly reduced prices. Some were just last years stock that didn't sell & some could go back a few years.

If a rider burns up a couple of sets of tires a year then even a new tire that is a few years old is not an issue but some riders ride few miles so don't  replace tires very often so starting off with a 3 year old tire could put them on 8-10 year old tires before tire end-of-life.

Not a big deal to most (especially when dealing with high volume drop-shipping on-line sellers) but might be a minor concern to some that buy from low volume independent sellers.

Thanks DR and everyone else. I burn through a set every year (at most) so I don't care if a tire I buy was made a year or two ago. I just noticed people were reporting age which had me thinking there was something I was missing.

8 hours ago, realshelby said:

Thanks for the input all and RealShelby, I just pulled the plug on a set of T31's, I've been a Michelin PR guy for quite a while but I'll give the BT's a try again. At that price and with the rebate I couldn't really resist.  

OBTW the rear is back ordered so not thinkin there will be a old stock tire.

Rubber side down guys!

Some people own antique bikes and only put 1-2k miles or less a year. Tires can then be 7-10 years old. From someone who had their front end wash out at 10mph because of old tires with plenty of tread left it matters. I thought I hit some diesel or something. It hurt my pride. 😳