IGNORED

HD/s pres/ceo steps down. Not a good sign unless replacement has a plan

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

Matt Levatich, Harley-Davidson’s president and CEO, is officially stepping down from both roles at the company. After serving the company for 26 years, the company and Levatich mutually agreed that the time is now for new leadership, according to a statement. 

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/401405/harley-davidson-ceo-matt-levatich-leaves/

Reminds of a conversation with a young CEO who said he had left his company.  When asked why, he said, "I had a disagreement with the board."  I asked what they disagreed over to which he said, "I wanted to stay and they wanted me to go."

fourteenfour

A bit premature for him to step down as that new engine line is coming out this year and they do have a good choice to get non traditional riders only a Harley; referring of course to new Street Fighter and ADV bikes.

HD had some press ( any press is good for business, so they say...) coverage for the ADV style bike and the Livewire. But that seems to be over. I think, but don't know for sure, that the livewire actually exists and can be purchased. Have not heard a thing about the ADV bike. 

HD can still sell the big V Twins to the market they have. But you cannot exist forever on that plan. History will back that up. If this CEO promised a new direction and has not delivered, then he needed to go. The bikes mentioned above have NOT helped sales or profits. Unless HD can compete outside of the big V Twin market, they need to change CEO's like underwear till something works. 

1 hour ago, realshelby said:

But that seems to be over. I think, but don't know for sure, that the livewire actually exists and can be purchased.

I saw 2 livewires in a dealer in Phoenix.  $30,000 sticker, dont know how you sell many at that price point but it was a good looking bike.     

The Harley Pan America is a 2021 release so will not be out for some time. 

The Livewire is the initial EV offered by Harley and like many the initial price will be high ... similar to Tesla when they first came out. 

The transition of the Harley market will not be overnight.  They have a large and loyal following for their current product line but they realize a change is absolutely needed and that is what is underway.   They do have a long term strategy that the outgoing CEO put in place with a line up of EV's and other models.   The Livewire and the Brooklyn (I think that is the name) street bike are already out.   The Brooklyn is a naked street bike that looks like a Ducati or SV650 style bike.  Hoping to attract new younger riders. 

I was up Close at the Vancouver British Columbia bike show two Harleys electric bike and I have to say it is butt ugly.

it was set up so that you could twist the throttle and hear it run. No one was interested in even playing with the dumb thing. It resembles closely to a pregnant guppy.

WOW ... I saw the Livewire at both the NYC and Cleveland IMS shows and they were gathering a lot of attention and positive comments. 

RandyShields
3 hours ago, RTinNC said:

They do have a long term strategy that the outgoing CEO put in place with a line up of EV's and other models. . . .

One of our own used to work at HD.  He is still bound by a confidentiality agreement so can't discuss his project, but has mentioned that he was not working on the Livewire or Pan America... so, there is something else that should be coming . . . .

I believe the name of Harley’s new street fighter is the Bronx.

I think by diversifying with offerings like the Bronx, Pan America, LiveWire and new Softail Standard, they’re headed in the right direction. New CEO, you listening? 😉

5 hours ago, ERdok said:

I believe the name of Harley’s new street fighter is the Bronx.

I think by diversifying with offerings like the Bronx, Pan America, LiveWire and new Softail Standard, they’re headed in the right direction. New CEO, you listening? 😉

Thanks for the correction.  I knew it was a NY boro either Bronx or Brooklyn.  And I agree it seems like they are headed in the right direction.  It will just take some time to turn the ship around.