IGNORED

R1200RT/GS Clutch Plate Recall

beemerman2k

beemerman2k

A GS riding friend of mine told me today that BMW is having to recall several 2006 RT's and GS's due to defective materials on the clutch plates installed during manufacturing. He said that area dealers are tied up with this work and that they are unhappy that BMW is only reimbursing them for 6 hours of work per bike, where the dealers feel it takes longer than that to do the recall work.

I did a search on this site and found nothing relating to this story. Can anyone confirm the validity of this rumor?

If I recall, this affects some bikes produced in January. BMW quaratined bikes within a certain VIN range and forbade dealers to sell them until repaired. I also seem to recall at least on person from the UK saying a BMW dealer even took a bike back that had been delivered to a customer. There are at least 6-8 new RTs sitting in my dealer's storage area waiting for instructions from BMW Canada on how to fix them before they can sell them.

There are at least 6-8 new RTs sitting in my dealer's storage area waiting for instructions from BMW Canada on how to fix them before they can sell them.
So some lucky owners are going to buy a 'new' bike that has been torn apart and put back together?
KiwiAdventure
There are at least 6-8 new RTs sitting in my dealer's storage area waiting for instructions from BMW Canada on how to fix them before they can sell them.
So some lucky owners are going to buy a 'new' bike that has been torn apart and put back together?

What's the problem with that? some of you just like the sound of you own voice. We don't live in a perfect world.

My 2006 RT was recalled and the dealer came and picked it up. Waited for about a month for parts to arrive from Germany. Here is the thread Clutch Recall . I have been very happy with LoneStar BMW service. They did not mention any problems with their reimbursement from BMW. They were most concerned with my satisfaction. thumbsup.gif Buckster

beemerman2k
I have been very happy with LoneStar BMW service. They did not mention any problems with their reimbursement from BMW. They were most concerned with my satisfaction. thumbsup.gif Buckster

That's good to hear. Frankly, the bikes will probably be better after the surgery than they were before -- not to mention the original problem being fixed. But it's good to know the dealers aren't rushing the bikes through the shop but instead are taking their time and doing things right thumbsup.gif

I'll convey this back to my friend with the GS.

My 2006 RT was recalled and the dealer came and picked it up. Waited for about a month for parts to arrive from Germany. Here is the thread Clutch Recall . I have been very happy with LoneStar BMW service. They did not mention any problems with their reimbursement from BMW. They were most concerned with my satisfaction. thumbsup.gif Buckster

Lone Star is likely the top (or very nearly so) BMW dealer in the US for customer satisfaction and support. They should be cloned. Their business ethics regarding customers are enviable.

I would travel many miles to buy my next BMW there.

They are very conscientious and would likely deliver a better-than-new bike after the warranty work.

Archived