IGNORED

Solstice trip

Shane J.

Every June my wife and I, on two bikes, do 16 days of riding/camping. Only on very rare occasions do we use lodging. The last 4 years have been in Canada, but this year we are going to ride the Western USA. This route is roads of which I have been on most of at least once, some many times. But always looking for input on current conditions and sites and sights to see and do. Take a look and let me know what you think.

https://www.maps.ie/map-my-route/viewMap.php?route=120585

Well, it is an Irish route planner that just happens to work here as well. It's the simplest one I have found for laying out a route. Then I export them as .gpx or .klm files to use in my gps or google maps.

• Like 1

While you are missing some of Colorado's finest motorcycling roads, that is a very good trip.  Not every great motorcycling road in marked as such in Colorado.  We live here and it can be beautiful.  Watch for winter driving in the high country, even in August.   The higher passes can close abruptly with little warning.  Kind of like Bear Tooth Pass out of Yellowstone NP.  (North East departure.)  We hit Bear Tooth on a perfect day.  Temperature at the pass was about 40 degrees, sunny, 4 foot snow banks beside the road.  It doesn't get any better than that.  We all wore our rain gear on top of our riding gear to deal with the lower temperatures at the pass.

• Like 1

We have been all around Colorado but this time due to time we are just cutting though the corner. Never done 141 before but it looks like fun and is headed our way. This trip I expect a 70 degree temperature swing.

szurszewski

Looks like lots of fun, and it's great that you're taking a trip to celebrate our 17th anniversary (I'll be sure to let Laura know) ;) (married 6/20/03 so our first day married would be the longest day of the year - lots of great jokes are setup there...).

I would add a detour through Jedediah Smith Park to visit Stout Grove if you're into redwoods - it's a pretty easy dirt road though it's got a good number of deep potholes usually in one section and the surface is clay-slick when it's wet, so keep that in mind in relation to what tires you're running. Makes a good connection around Crescent city like this:

2083420624_ScreenShot2020-03-01at2_04_09PM.png.71aff735d3bb8ca27273cf5b1179fe4d.png

If you haven't done it, and like small twisty pavement and are ok with lower speeds, I highly recommend Aufderheide Drive/Parkway between Rainbow and Oakridge Oregon. It's not on your route, but it's way more fun that the parallel section of 97 that is on your route. I try to plan an overnight in Oakridge whenever I can because it's got my favorite brewery https://www.brewersunion.com/pub/

I didn't look at Nevada too closely but if you're going through Rachel and haven't stopped before (or are just hungry!) don't skip the Little A'Le'Inn there - funny place and a great short order cook used to work there and live out back.

Josh, I see Aufderheide on the Rainbow end, along the lake, but which road do you take out of Oakridge?

Taking US 50 across Nevada.

szurszewski

Well, it would probably be easier if I'd written my description more accurately - the south end is actually in Westfir, which is just west of Oakridge. Westfir has a cool covered bridge but not much else - all the businesses in the area are in Oakridge. Google maps doesn't want to route you all the way through (didn't try it on your Irish site) but googling Aufderheide Parkway will find you good maps, and if you can find either end, the road is well marked and paved the whole way - no trouble to ride it either way. It's part of FS road 19.

Ah- 50 - you'll be about 175 miles north of Rachel then just as you pass by Ely.

If you click on the bicycle icon in Google Maps it comes up. I often use that setting looking for good motorcycle routes.

szurszewski
11 minutes ago, Shane J. said:

If you click on the bicycle icon in Google Maps it comes up. I often use that setting looking for good motorcycle routes.

Totally makes sense - it’s a popular bicycle route even. I’ll have to remember  that tip!