IGNORED

in my boredom I made these disc’s

MachineJoe

I paid big money to cover all the frame holes in my RT and now my GS. 

Those look great without the emblem even.

I waxed the snot out of the holes before install then put a coat on and left it.

They were on my RT for 2 years and no issues when I removed them.

27 minutes ago, LAF said:

I paid big money to cover all the frame holes in my RT and now my GS. 

Those look great without the emblem even.

I waxed the snot out of the holes before install then put a coat on and left it.

They were on my RT for 2 years and no issues when I removed them.

Afternoon LAF

That is a very good idea as untreated aluminum  can corrode in the frame holes & ruin the frame paint.   If there are no "O" ring grooves in the parts with tight fitting "O" rings then there is no way to keep moisture out without using messy gasket sealant or  grease.

I usually anodize (great use of that extra battery acid left after filling a new battery), or powder coat,  any alloy  parts that I make for motorcycles to slow down, or prevent, galvanic corrosion .  Even something as benign as washing the motorcycle with water-softener  soft water can start a galvanic  reaction with aluminum. 

I coated them several times with Gloss Clear from Rust-Oleum and used clear caulking to keep moisture out and as an adhesive.

I was hoping that this would be enough to prevent the galvanizing effect that dirtrider is talking about.

If this works out I'll make several sets to see if there is any interest in them with or without the BMW badge.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, MachineJoe said:

I coated them several times with Gloss Clear from Rust-Oleum and used clear caulking to keep moisture out and as an adhesive.

I was hoping that this would be enough to prevent the galvanizing effect that dirtrider is talking about.

If this works out I'll make several sets to see if there is any interest in them with or without the BMW badge.

If you do ,.... I'm in !! 

Motorhead1977

Please message me if you're going to make more. No BMW roundel necessary. Plain like the first pic is awesome. TIA.

1 hour ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Please message me if you're going to make more. No BMW roundel necessary. Plain like the first pic is awesome. TIA.

Thanks Motorhead!  It may take a week. I’ll message you then

I got a set of these from Joe and the are everything he states. Really nicely made !!

Unfortunately I forgot that I had covered the holes on both my bikes before getting these from Joe.  So if wants of set of Joe's handy work I've got a set I will part with.   Just message me. 

• Like 2

Hi Guys, I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, spoil the party or any of that stuff. But you are looking for a heavy, expensive solution to an easy fixable issue.

Just buy and fit these. They have worked on my bike for years. You don't need the alloy insert, just clean off the contact face on the frame, peel off the backing strip on the badge and stick it on!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4x-65MM-Wheel-Centre-Badge-Stickers-Fits-Alloy-Hub-Caps-Self-Adhesive/392578783386?hash=item5b6784d89a:g:JjIAAOSwy7hdeSeG

Thanks Andy.

I was looking for a cleaner look (first pic) than the logo and the light weight and inexpensive solution seems to work fairly well.

The added logo was something that was suggested

Joe

On 3/9/2020 at 8:26 AM, AndyS said:

Hi Guys, I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, spoil the party or any of that stuff. But you are looking for a heavy, expensive solution to an easy fixable issue.

Just buy and fit these. They have worked on my bike for years. You don't need the alloy insert, just clean off the contact face on the frame, peel off the backing strip on the badge and stick it on!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-4x-65MM-Wheel-Centre-Badge-Stickers-Fits-Alloy-Hub-Caps-Self-Adhesive/392578783386?hash=item5b6784d89a:g:JjIAAOSwy7hdeSeG

These are not at all heavy and actually weigh near nothing.  And $35 compared to similar solutions from Wunderlich is a bargain. 

Hi Ed. You are right, and as Joe said, some folks don't want BMW logo's all over their bike. I am just sharing my solution which was only £3.50. 

It is a shame these visible frame holes were not blanked off from the outset.

Yes I spent a BUNCH of money filling every frame hole on my GS.  Others find them attractive I dont care for them at all. 

If I could have clear on every hole I would do it for sure.  The ones I have are a bronze color.  Again all the frame holes are covered and I like them covered a lot.

I almost considered ordering a set of these and getting on the list but I dont want to take away from anyone who has none at this point.  Me I dont want the emblem as I de-badge my cars and dont allow any dealer ads on my bikes or cars.  I made them replace a front bumper because they drilled it and put a dealer front plate on it and in PA we dont need a front plate.  They wanted to plug the holes, nope I got a new skin as I told them DO NOT put a bracket on my front bumper.  Well that cost them a few penny's

Nice stuff here and take a look at some of the other holes also.

The roundel looks very trick, and I thought about that option too.  Very elegant machine job you did there.   Here is my solution to the frame hole plug .

I went to McMaster-Carr online and ordered a bag full of these plastic plugs.  The part number is 9283K39 Polyethylene plastic snap-in Round Plugs, 1.74" to 1.83" ID, packs of 20.  $14.25 per pack. No modification to the plug is required.  Just push it in part way and smack it with a closed fist and you're done.  Now to find a stick-on roundel to attach to it...or not. 

Not as purdy as Machine Joe's though.

RT Frame Plug.jpg

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

My caps from Machine Joe arrived today. Very nice. Just need to get sport car out of my very small garage so I have access to the RT to do the install. Woo Hoo. Thanks Joe.

22 hours ago, Sirby said:

The roundel looks very trick, and I thought about that option too.  Very elegant machine job you did there.   Here is my solution to the frame hole plug .

I went to McMaster-Carr online and ordered a bag full of these plastic plugs.  The part number is 9283K39 Polyethylene plastic snap-in Round Plugs, 1.74" to 1.83" ID, packs of 20.  $14.25 per pack. No modification to the plug is required.  Just push it in part way and smack it with a closed fist and you're done.  Now to find a stick-on roundel to attach to it...or not. 

Not as purdy as Machine Joe's though.

RT Frame Plug.jpg

Won't water get in and be trapped with these?  I see that the openings should be all the way around.

20200315_115507.thumb.jpg.30912e0e97bb30f142de574f80f084ec.jpg

Well, yeah...With the plastic plug inserted there are gaps all around which will let water in and out.  I imagine water vapor will escape readily enough.  Here is a demo of how water can get in.  Probably a good idea to pop it off and make sure it dries out on a regular basis.   I might try to get a tighter fit by cutting some of the plastic gripper rings off the inside edge of the plug if it tends to hold water, and remove it for inspection once in a while.

Perhaps that is why BMW decided to leave it uncovered.  You don't want water and road goo to live inside that big shaft pivot /nut area. Maybe coating the exposed ends of the pivot shaft (?) with grease before enclosing it would be prudent.

26 minutes ago, Sirby said:

Perhaps that is why BMW decided to leave it uncovered. 

A friend of mine has an R1250GS HP model.  It has a cover there.  Its actually part of a larger plastic frame cover.  I couldn't see how tight it was on there, but it didn't look like it seals it up.

54 minutes ago, Sirby said:

20200315_115507.thumb.jpg.30912e0e97bb30f142de574f80f084ec.jpg

Well, yeah...With the plastic plug inserted there are gaps all around which will let water in and out.  I imagine water vapor will escape readily enough.  Here is a demo of how water can get in.  Probably a good idea to pop it off and make sure it dries out on a regular basis.   I might try to get a tighter fit by cutting some of the plastic gripper rings off the inside edge of the plug if it tends to hold water, and remove it for inspection once in a while.

Perhaps that is why BMW decided to leave it uncovered.  You don't want water and road goo to live inside that big shaft pivot /nut area. Maybe coating the exposed ends of the pivot shaft (?) with grease before enclosing it would be prudent.

What about putting a thin o-ring over the inside of the plug? Would fill the gaps once pushed in and installed?

Good idea!  I put an R-27 1/8" o-ring on it.  On the right (nut) side it seemed to close the many gaps you can see.  On the left (bolt head) side the plug inside end kept the cap from seating until I snipped away about an eighth of an inch from the inside end of the plug.  It was hitting the bolt head.  Now it seems to seat all the way against the o-ring.  I'll keep an eye on it.

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

With the caps from MachineJoe I used some clear silicone as an adhesive that also seals the opening. Silicone isn't visible and no pesky moisture seepage from outside.

IMG_20200315_135135652.jpg

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

Here's the opposite side as well. Joe,  is it possible that you might be able to make a cap to also fit the smaller frame opening on the gear shift side? Just asking.

IMG_20200315_135156832.jpg

• Like 1

Lookin pretty good on the install.

I'll take a look at making a plug for the hole above the gear shift side.

It'll take till mid April as I'm traveling to NC this week to chase a little white ball around.

Thanks for posting the pics!

On 3/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, MachineJoe said:

I would be interested in the BMW version.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 6:41 PM, Rob Nowell said:

I would be interested in the BMW version.

Rob,  Check your messages.

I have your set ready

On 3/11/2020 at 7:29 AM, LAF said:

I almost considered ordering a set of these and getting on the list but I dont want to take away from anyone who has none at this point.  Me I dont want the emblem as I de-badge my cars and dont allow any dealer ads on my bikes or cars.  I made them replace a front bumper because they drilled it and put a dealer front plate on it and in PA we dont need a front plate.  They wanted to plug the holes, nope I got a new skin as I told them DO NOT put a bracket on my front bumper.  Well that cost them a few penny's

Nice stuff here and take a look at some of the other holes also.

Lee,  If you want a set, message me. I made several sets

On 3/31/2020 at 10:02 AM, MachineJoe said:

Lee,  If you want a set, message me. I made several sets

Huh?

What are you talking about?  Cars?  Come on, Lee, these are nice additions to my bike.  Customization, yes; if you don't like any bling on yer thing, then move along...

11 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Huh?

What are you talking about?  Cars?  Come on, Lee, these are nice additions to my bike.  Customization, yes; if you don't like any bling on yer thing, then move along...

WTF?  Move along and leave me out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Motorhead1977

Joe, as I said before the quality of your work is fantastic.  Messaged you on another item we spoke about previously.  Be well.

• 4 weeks later...
Colorado Jeff

Hey Joe, thanks so much for the fast shipping!  They look great, don't you think?  If you decide on a cap for the hole above the gear shift, count me in.  Nice machining, quality product indeed.

Jeff

BMW Logo for Joe v2.jpg

• Thanks 1
Rob Nowell
On 3/1/2020 at 5:41 AM, RTinNC said:

Very nice!   How did you install them? 

I put a little silicone around mine.  They look great.

• 2 weeks later...
Colorado Jeff

Those look real nice Joe!  Great compliment to the lower one with the BMW logo.  Count me in!

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

Perfect!  Finishes out this small bit of dress-up on my RT.  Thanks for doing this Joe.  I'll post pics as soon as I have mine and install it.

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

Joe, received my "small" plug the other day and installed it. Perfect fit and stellar looks! I couldn't be happier. Not much room in the garage or I'd have better pics. Thanks again for your efforts and excellent product.

IMG_20200528_201832087.jpg

IMG_20200528_201848569.jpg

Colorado Jeff

Hey Joe, I got the second plug the other day.  It looks great!  It really cleans up the frame.  This is how BMW should have done this, great job!

20200602_213133.jpg

• Like 1