IGNORED

Front rotors - fixed or floating bobbins?

RoSPA_man

Hi

Quick overnight question as I'm not near my bike to check this simple issue

I need new rotors on my 2013 registered - built late 2012 maybe - RT. I want to replace the Brembo OEM fronts with EBC ones (I think MD687 but I'm still checking all that).

To help choose the right replacement, I need to know if the Brembo OEM rotors (#34117711428) are fixed or floating (often called loose) bobbins? These are the rotors: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0430-EUR-11-2012-K26-BMW-R_1200_RT_10_0430,0440_&diagId=34_1646

From memory - and from looking at the microfiche- the existing Brembo bobbins are captive in the disc and/or can't be removed or replaced. Does that seem correct? 

Front rotors are available from EBC (seems to be MD687 - can anyone confirm that number?),  but if I go that route, I have to source the bobbins from TRW because EBC won't have their own bobbins for another month apparently.

So, the main question is whether the Brembo OEM rotors are fixed or loose bobbins?  

Any help appreciated 

Thanks

2 hours ago, RoSPA_man said:

Hi

Quick overnight question as I'm not near my bike to check this simple issue

I need new rotors on my 2013 registered - built late 2012 maybe - RT. I want to replace the Brembo OEM fronts with EBC ones (I think MD687 but I'm still checking all that).

To help choose the right replacement, I need to know if the Brembo OEM rotors (#34117711428) are fixed or floating (often called loose) bobbins? These are the rotors: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0430-EUR-11-2012-K26-BMW-R_1200_RT_10_0430,0440_&diagId=34_1646

From memory - and from looking at the microfiche- the existing Brembo bobbins are captive in the disc and/or can't be removed or replaced. Does that seem correct? 

Front rotors are available from EBC (seems to be MD687 - can anyone confirm that number?),  but if I go that route, I have to source the bobbins from TRW because EBC won't have their own bobbins for another month apparently.

So, the main question is whether the Brembo OEM rotors are fixed or loose bobbins?  

Any help appreciated 

Thanks

Afternoon RoSPA_man

That is good question as they are not fixed & are not full floating, they are semi-floating as the rotor is a one piece brake rotor (no bobbins between sections) but  the entire brake rotor floats on rivets that kind of isolate the retention bolts from clamping  the brake rotor tightly to  the  alloy wheel hub. (brake rotor floats on the rivets)

Got it! It's a while since I did a disc change, but that I should have remembered!

So it's simple enough in that case - rotors will need rivets and retention bolts (and washers of course). Bobbins I remember from previous RTs, but are not used as it is one single piece!

Many thanks as always DR

BW

Hugh

40 minutes ago, RoSPA_man said:

Got it! It's a while since I did a disc change, but that I should have remembered!

So it's simple enough in that case - rotors will need rivets and retention bolts (and washers of course). Bobbins I remember from previous RTs, but are not used as it is one single piece!

Many thanks as always DR

BW

Hugh

Morning Hugh

Most front brake rotors should come with the rivets already in them, careful in removing your stock front rotors as the bolts thread into soft wheel alloy so you might need some heat to get the bolts out  without ruining the wheel hub threads. You can re-use the rotor bolts if the factory micro-encapsulation is still good, or you can clean the threads (bolts & hub holes) then use lock-tite  in place of the factory thread locker.

Be very careful to not allow any of the factory micro-encapsulation to get between the rotor rivets & the wheel hub.