IGNORED

COVID-19 Poll

John Ranalletta

Is COVID-19 causing you to rethink any plans or take any precautions?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Going grocery shopping tomorrow morning, plan to be there when the store opens at 8AM.  not because of inventory concerns, just hoping to get there before it sees peak traffic.  For our usual weekly shopping trip, we buy stuff to make a lot of food over the weekend that lasts us through the following week.  This time, we'll also be buying stuff to cook up the following weekend.  This includes fresh produce that has decent shelf life, like potatoes, carrots, and celery, as well as canned beans and tomatoes, and chicken that we can stash in the freezer until it's time to cook next weekend.

Picking up some carryout for lunch today, along with some carryout (fried rice) that we can stash in the freezer for a future lunch.  This means one trip to the restaurant instead of two.  

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

For the last week, Michigan has been reporting COVID-19 diagnoses from its state lab.  We were at 1 last Wednesday, then 110 on Tuesday.  Yesterday they started including results from private clinics, and the tally shot up to about 330.  Coincidentally, there were three COVID-19 fatalities.

Today the total # of diagnosed cases in Michigan is up to 549.

5 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Going grocery shopping tomorrow morning, plan to be there when the store opens at 8AM.  not because of inventory concerns, just hoping to get there before it sees peak traffic.  For our usual weekly shopping trip, we buy stuff to make a lot of food over the weekend that lasts us through the following week.  This time, we'll also be buying stuff to cook up the following weekend.  This includes fresh produce that has decent shelf life, like potatoes, carrots, and celery, as well as canned beans and tomatoes, and chicken that we can stash in the freezer until it's time to cook next weekend.

Picking up some carryout for lunch today, along with some carryout (fried rice) that we can stash in the freezer for a future lunch.  This means one trip to the restaurant instead of two.  

We kinda do the same, shop by the week.

Last week when we went, no meats, we got everything else, but red meat was g-o-n-e.  During the work week the wife stopped off a couple of times, again, still no meats. 

So, today, after dumping two units of red blood cells with the local vampires, I had to venture to the dealer to have them check the Garmin as it was doing stupid stuff.  After that was over, I thought, self, stop at this mom and pop grocery store,.....nope, not a parking spot in site, so continued my merry way to my little town.  Ended up at an Ingles where most of the meats were gone.  So I ended with picking up Lamb (mmmmmm), pre-packaged beef patties, pack of sirloin and since they had no beef ground meat, we're gonna give the "cow free" beef a try (beyond beef).  While on the phone with the wife, she says "get this, get that",......I'm like, "you do know I'm on the bike right",......"oh, I forgot".

Anyway, we're good for a bit if the apocalypse happens and the zombies come.

One of the wife's friends works in state government and gave a "rumor" that NC will be "quarantined"........we'll see how that goes, I'm kinda an essential, so I know I'll be riding to my work come Monday.

John Ranalletta
5 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Texas numbers 

Total Statewide Cases 194
Deaths 5

Too few tests to be statistically significant.  Very likely more positives than reported here.

image.thumb.png.1295d3b39ff3f8b529a1aee179d5b991.png

We've been ordering take out at local favorite restaurants to help support them during the closures.  On the down side I was checking out today at local chain store.  The 20 something cashier said no big deal getting the virus, her age group was good.  I said, but if you get the bug your going to infect several other people who may not be 'good' and they may die.  No reaction.  Many of the young don't get it or simply don't care.  This is a problem.  

• Like 2

Have the first confirmed case on the tiny Island I live on. Brought here by a non resident , they own a summer home, and came here thinking to get away from it.

As you can imagine, locals not real happy.

I have been a student at the University of North Georgia since 2018. On March 12, I notified my instructors that, regardless of what the university system decided, I did not plan to return to classes after spring break. That afternoon they announced all schools would begin to shut down on March 13, and that students should not think about returning until after spring break ended on March 29. A few days later, they said, don't bother coming back at all; we are switching to online distance education.

Approaching my 74th birthday, I have been hospitalized 4 times for asthma or pneumonia, and I have been dealing with a lung condition called bronchiectasis since 2006 (it was finally correctly diagnosed, and treatment begun in 2014). My survival chances aren't so hot if I catch it, so I'm try to avoid contact with people.

DeathRatebyAge.thumb.png.d666e0791243fbde2ec0d9535a45c719.png

My wife and I went on a binge of eating out recently, because restaurants are starting to shut down. Last night we went to Bratzeit in Dahlonega, which has an outdoor eating area. We were the only people there at 6:00 p.m. So far there are no reported cases in Lumpkin County, but watching the map, it seems like just a matter of time. When the first report hits, we stop going to restaurants.

1762024293_Screenshot2020-03-21at8_27_25AM.png.122c99632dba91e6952bac3a5f8918df.png

Both my mother (age 98) and my daughter live in Delaware. Pam and I discussed what to do if either of them is diagnosed, and concluded that since we can't do anything to help, we will stay in Georgia. I will move to Delaware temporarily if my mother dies, probably riding up, as I certainly don't want to fly or take the train.

In the meantime, now that it hasn't rained for 3 days, I'm getting in as much seat time as possible.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, Selden said:

A friend sent me this advisory yesterday. I'm following it diligently.

963060062_RideMotorcycles-Edited(1).jpg.c4ceb90bfdc3aaa10e3e0f6b6876d318.jpg

The one caveat is that if you crash, you may end up spending time in an emergency room that's packed with contagious people...

on the lighter side of this craziness:

I live alone and living alone isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.  

Oh sure, there are times when it’s easier to make decisions about important things, like if I should ride today, or wash clothes that are piling up in the hamper;  

or asking what time I should be back home; 

or whether my better half has plans for me of which I’m unaware.  

And speaking of “better half”…when one lives alone, there’s this eternal argument over who rules: Ego, Id, or Super Ego.  Occasionally, The Treehouse isn’t big enough for all three!

One thing I’ve learned during this virus-imposed quarantine is that I’m not quite as bad a cook as first thought, and that a crock pot is in the running for “man’s best friend”.  Now to figure out which one of us will take credit for the cooking……

So far no cases on my end of the county.  The only reason for me to leave my property is to get groceries locally.  I am way up in Haycock

90197363_1251404348363402_64753182198873

Mitch, there is more than one caveat, but not crashing is at the top of my list, and I am riding very cautiously. I just got back from a short fire road ride, all the time thinking that this is mid-March, and I really don't want to fall down and be unable to pick up the bike, because there aren't a lot of people in the forest at this time of year, although it being a Saturday afternoon, I crossed paths with a few bicyclists and jeepers.

RandyShields
1 hour ago, Selden said:

. . . I really don't want to fall down and be unable to pick up the bike, because there aren't a lot of people in the forest at this time of year, although it being a Saturday afternoon, I crossed paths with a few bicyclists and jeepers.

Good plan.  Don't need anyone else touching your bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

Don't need anyone else touching your bike.

Ha ... forget the extra tools, the tire plug and pump ... now the "must have" extra for the bike is isopropyl  alcohol soaked wipes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Texas today. Up 57% in one day in cases, death still at 5.  Hard to know if really that high or just more testing revealed.

People Tested

Total 6,522
Public Labs 1,372
Private Labs 5,150*

*Number does not include the total tested by all private labs.

Texas COVID-19 Cases1

Total Statewide Cases 304
Deaths 5
Yeeha Stephen

Rethinking plans in DFW because we are being forced to. No Martial Law yet but it's pretty dang close. 

Dallas County Judge just ordered police to cite/jail people that are less than 6 feet from each other. Groups must be less than 10 even in private homes. And just limited toilet paper purchases to 12 rolls. (too late, they already sold out)

No photo description available.

90107772_3277404832288981_5012061074464178176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=uZ3JciZr3xoAX-LA28F&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=be579bf4255591f546cda932de464394&oe=5E9C9357

Image may contain: 1 person

Restaurants and recreation facilities are closed. Businesses are closing. Schools are closed and Domestic Violence and Child Abuse calls are way up according to police.

I should've moved out to the country long ago.

SS

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Stephen, your pics of depleted grocery store shelves are surprising.  Were they taken yesterday?  People started stockpiling at least a couple of weeks ago, and I'm surprised it's still going on. I'm wondering how much more food and toilet paper we can cram into our homes.  

:dopeslap:

John Ranalletta
7 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Stephen, your pics of depleted grocery store shelves are surprising.  Were they taken yesterday?  People started stockpiling at least a couple of weeks ago, and I'm surprised it's still going on. I'm wondering how much more food and toilet paper we can cram into our homes.  

Ruth found empty shelves or almost empty shelves at Aldi's and WalMart this morning (Sun 3/21)

Went to Krogers early this morning.  A good portion of the meat coolers were empty, unlike a week ago when they were just a a bit thin.  Other sections were a bit picked over, but no one would starve if they had to bring home something for dinner.

Friday I worked a Covid 19 hotline at the local dept of health. Some interesting questions, only some of which were related to that callers health and symptoms and where could they be tested.  Others were related to how many people could be in what type of business or what the current statewide restrictions are.   There is a lot of uncertainty floating around, even considering that lots of this has bee covered on the local and cable news channels already.  But then I wonder how many folks are still getting their news off the tube.

Went shopping this morning 3/22, hardly any meat, no paper goods and no pasta, almost no soup.  I did manage to get some ground turkey, a roast big enough to cut in half to make at least 2 meals, a brisket and some chicken.

Yeeha Stephen
5 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Photos are from a couple of days ago. Not proud of the greedy bastages in DFW because they continue to clean out everything. 

Went to the store today (Sunday) and the mainstream stores (Kroger, Albertsons, Walmart etc) are the same. I did find some nice organic produce, milk, breads, and a little fresh meat at a health food store near me, but the prices were way-high. (their normal prices)

All the stores have cut to 1/2 normal hours, open an hour early for seniors, and restock what they can overnight but people are still scraping everything off the shelves.

I could take a photo today and it would look the same as those above. It's frustrating to see a Bubba in his Super Duty with supplies stacked high in pickup bed. 

Lot of Citified Preppers live just outside the Metromess of  DFW.

Sad. So very sad.

I think the reason behind it it that all the restaurants are closed for dine-in.... Drive thru only. They can't survive that way and everyone is scared that the restaurants will fold and we'll be on our own pantry.

If you live near an Albertsons or Safeway store, they are reserving Tuesdays and Thursdays from 0700 to 0900 for 'at risk' shoppers.  Not specific what they mean by that, but CDC says older than 60 or have condition which makes disease more problematic.  I can play the age card.   I'm going to give it a shot Tuesday.  The stores are usually stocked overnight so the early bird should get the worm groceries.  There are many chain stores doing something similar.

2 hours ago, Red said:

If you live near an Albertsons or Safeway store, they are reserving Tuesdays and Thursdays from 0700 to 0900 for 'at risk' shoppers.  Not specific what they mean by that, but CDC says older than 60 or have condition which makes disease more problematic.  I can play the age card.   I'm going to give it a shot Tuesday.  The stores are usually stocked overnight so the early bird should get the worm groceries.  There are many chain stores doing something similar.

directly from Albertsons...

As the situation around Coronavirus continues to unfold, Albertsons Companies’ 2,200+ stores nationwide are setting aside dedicated shopping hours for senior citizens and other at-risk populations, such as pregnant women or those with compromised immune systems, who have been advised to avoid leaving home as much as possible.

Yeah, no word on exactly what "senior citizen" means but the hours in Arizona are reported to be the same 7-9 ... I think at one point in Tucson, Albertsons had a senior citizen discount day and the qualifier was 60 .  Other grocery stores in Tucson have set it at 65 for their special access hours

I'm also going to give it a try ... it will be interesting to see if any and what  kind of "challenge" at the door is used to enforce the stated criteria.

9 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

directly from Albertsons...

As the situation around Coronavirus continues to unfold, Albertsons Companies’ 2,200+ stores nationwide are setting aside dedicated shopping hours for senior citizens and other at-risk populations, such as pregnant women or those with compromised immune systems, who have been advised to avoid leaving home as much as possible.

Yeah, no word on exactly what "senior citizen" means but the hours in Arizona are reported to be the same 7-9 ... I think at one point in Tucson, Albertsons had a senior citizen discount day and the qualifier was 60 .  Other grocery stores in Tucson have set it at 65 for their special access hours

I'm also going to give it a try ... it will be interesting to see if any and what  kind of "challenge" at the door is used to enforce the stated criteria.

Don’t worry Chris they will let you in.

53 minutes ago, Whip said:

Don’t worry Chris they will let you in.

Yeah I wasn't worried about that as I definitely qualify for most anyone's definition of "senior citizen" . :4316:

Honestly have been looking at ordering online with a delivery service ( Instacart ) which, at least in Tucson is running a week out .... that is if you order today  your expected delivery is between 7-8 pm on FRIDAY.   The good part is it seems like most chain grocery stores are participating with Instacart, but selection at times seems haphazard so its not a total solution.

1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

Other grocery stores in Tucson have set it at 65 for their special access hours

Aj's which is an upscale grocery (actually carries prime meats, although probably not now :mad:  ) has a time for 65+ with valid ID. 

The problem is the closest store is 35 minutes away ... well that's not the real issue ... its that the dedicated time for this special shopping is between 5 and 6 AM  as in 0-dark-30  :16:

Maybe there will only  be 2 people in the store ....

And yes, am I concerned about this crap ... you bet. Remembering Heller's famous quote:

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."

Not considering mortality, the complete and total uprooting of the life of my wife and our live in Mother In Law in an attempt to isolate one from the other would be a real pain in the ass ... as well as there seems to be little reporting of "mild" cases in senior citizens.

Joe Frickin' Friday

All winter I've been planning on getting new summer tires this spring.  New tires arrived about a week ago.  Was intending to get them mounted this weekend, but this virus is blowing up in Michigan.  I don't need new tires that badly, especially if I'm not going to be driving much in the near future.  Current all-seasons aren't quite down to the wear bars yet, and I can drive them in the dry even after they're worn down.  If they get really low, we've got another car to use.

We were supposed to have a new door and a couple of new windows installed today.  We rescheduled for end of April, with the full understanding that we might (probably) have to postpone even further.  Nothing urgent about it; the contractor already has our money, and our current windows/door will hold up a few more months without issue.  

10 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

All winter I've been planning on getting new summer tires this spring.  New tires arrived about a week ago.  Was intending to get them mounted this weekend, but this virus is blowing up in Michigan.  I don't need new tires that badly, especially if I'm not going to be driving much in the near future.  Current all-seasons aren't quite down to the wear bars yet, and I can drive them in the dry even after they're worn down.  If they get really low, we've got another car to use.

We were supposed to have a new door and a couple of new windows installed today.  We rescheduled for end of April, with the full understanding that we might (probably) have to postpone even further.  Nothing urgent about it; the contractor already has our money, and our current windows/door will hold up a few more months without issue.  

C'mon man, I thought you was an engineer of sorts after building that "move my air compressor rig" and "vacuum cleaner box", the door and windows  should be nothing:18:

The wife and I did 22 windows over two weekends in our last house, one was a triple wide and two double wides that were upstairs.  These things were 70" tall windows.  Easy to do and it'll pass the time.

Yesterday I decided to look into grocery delivery by two of the largest chains near me. Went to Safeway first. Picked out all we wanted and then went to delivery times. Tuesday nope. Wednesday nope. Thursday nope and some of the stuff You want will no longer be on sale. I went out as far as they schedule. Nope. So I then changed the order to pickup. Nope. Nope. Nope. Etc. we assume it is simply lack of personnel to fill orders. So guess if we want food we will have to still hit a store ourselves. Also stores are low or out of Tylenol, alcohol and peroxide. Costco here is still a zoo. Thank goodness I have about nine bottles of bourbon on board. I should apologize for being such a hoarder. 

John Ranalletta
On 3/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Panic?  Not me...

image.thumb.png.7342d8d7ecb08fe4566a9bea23da2775.png

Maybe not so crazy

Doctors and nurses in Spain are taping garbage bags to their bodies for protection against the novel coronavirus as supplies dwindle

Texas publishes their numbers at noon. They said in a day or two they will have a home test. Here is today with roughly 3.5% of test confirming virus.  Seems like a lot of people being tested and clogging up the system that shouldn't be.  We have a very popular beach area town especially during spring break.  I'm very disappointed to see the thousands of young folks on the beach.  I'm a little frustrated with our governor for not closing it.  He left it up to the very small city who obviously kept it open for income.  The town is call Port Aransas.  Stay safe all...

People Tested

Total 10,055
Public Labs 1,575
Private Labs 8,480*

Texas COVID-19 Cases1

Total Statewide Cases 352
Deaths 8

Everything is local. In Dahlonega the local Walmart (our only grocery store at this time) is generally fairly well stocked, but things vary from day to day. Lunch meats, canned goods, and of course cleaning supplies, paper towels and TP sell out quickly, but the wine/beer aisle is very well stocked.

Because I never know what things are going to be available 24 hours, I am actually shopping more frequently than usual, generally early in the morning when crowds are thin. Walmart has so many staff on disinfecting duty that it's probably safer to shop there than it was 3 months ago.

Don't forget to say "Thank you for your service" to your checker. These people are really on the front lines.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Texas publishes their numbers at noon. They said in a day or two they will have a home test. Here is today with roughly 3.5% of test confirming virus.  Seems like a lot of people being tested and clogging up the system that shouldn't be.  We have a very popular beach area town especially during spring break.  I'm very disappointed to see the thousands of young folks on the beach.  I'm a little frustrated with our governor for not closing it.  He left it up to the very small city who obviously kept it open for income.  The town is call Port Aransas.  Stay safe all...

People Tested

Total 10,055
Public Labs 1,575
Private Labs 8,480*

Texas COVID-19 Cases1

Total Statewide Cases 352
Deaths 8

Actually, those aren't bad numbers at all by comparison to some states.   Because the state testing (for Texas) seems to be limited to about 5,000 per week they are prioritizing the testing. 

So Texas is going for the best "bang-for-the-buck" in public health terms to control spread:  

• High-risk patients

• Hospital patients with COVID-19 symptoms

• Health care workers who’ve been in close contact with someone who’s tested positive for the new coronavirus

• Patients with recent travel history in areas that have been affected by the disease 

In my province (population 4.3 million) they seem to be up to a capacity of about 3,500 tests per day.   So criteria for testing includes the above plus:

• Clinical triad of fever (39º C or 102ºC or higher), cough and shortness-of-breath (could be at home or in hospital)
  • Health care or first responder with mild symptoms before being allowed to return to work

So far we have done 26,740 tests with 259 positive.  We currently have 18 in hospital, 7 in ICU , one dead and a dozen or so "recovered"  The rest of the positives are all at home in quarantine with some Public Health Home Care.  How long they can continue to offer that kind of support isn't know.   

Our case count is doubling every 3 days or so.  Our first ICU admission was only a week ago.  

The more testing, the better you can target who has to stay at home for 10-14 days (both those that are sick and their contacts). 

Mike C  

Yeeha Stephen

I've been going nuts on the over-hype on getting tested. People were freaking like the test was the cure and they couldn't get there hands on it.

Well, I finally heard a news report on what a positive test will get you.  TLC, help with breathing if required and medications like Tamiflu, Zithromax Z-Pak, and the Malaria drug Hydroxychloroquine seems to be helping. None are approved, they are just throwing things at the Virus and this combo seems to be doing the best.