IGNORED

COVID-19 Poll

John Ranalletta

Is COVID-19 causing you to rethink any plans or take any precautions?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well that’s where it gets complicated. In and out of potential hot zones and then off to a nursing home for another unrelated medical. Then home the next morning. :dontknow:  Thanks though! :thumbsup:

My take is that there is no reason why the virus wouldn’t spread here just the same it has in Italy, Spain, France etc.

It will. And we aren’t any better prepared than those countries, so before it gets any better, it’ll get much worse. 
The sooner we accept that, the better.

Interesting about the gas prices, I filled up yesterday, $2.24 for non oxy premium, I can't remember it being that cheap in forever.

The ride to work this morning, the traffic looked to be about normal, so, here in central NC, doesn't look, at least from a road perspective, much is on lockdown, although all schools are. 

Arrived in our parking lot, and it appears that many are taking doing the work from home thing, as the parking lot had fewer cars at 0630 than normal.  We also house a government group in our company spaces, and I noticed most of their cars were the ones gone. 

Joe Frickin' Friday

Spotted at a Costco:

almost_enough.jpg.0d101a178c6779fdab3c8314e4c5f326.jpg

I sure hope that guy starts feeling better soon.

Toilet Paper Crisis | stock photos doctor physician visit | Unfortunately, you've tested positive for corona virus That's not possible, Ibought 200 rolls of tõilet paper

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I guess people are thinking they may have to defend their food and beer. 

Can't talk right now...I'm on guard duty to protect my 12-pack of toilet paper!   

• Like 1
roadscholar

My girlfriend was in the supermarket checkout line the other day, the lady in front of her had a basket full of toilet paper. Molly said, do you mind me asking why you’re getting so much TP? She said, because everyone else is. Then she said, do you want a couple packs, Molly goes sure why not : )

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Went to the local Food Lion yesterday afternoon  Everything was fairly well stocked except the paper isle. Totally empty

Guess I'm gonna buy a Bidet

2 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Can't talk right now...I'm on guard duty to protect my 12-pack of toilet paper!   

12th General Order-Walk your post flank to flank and not take shit from any rank!!

• Haha 1

We were a bit ahead of the US because our Federal Health Minister announced on February 26th that all Canadian households should have a 2 week supply of essentials on hand. 

Two days later you couldn't find hand sanitizer anywhere.    Disposable gloves were probably gone by March 2nd.   The TP "run" probably started 2 weeks ago.  

Retailers have started to put buying limits on items like TP , anti-bacterial soap and staples/canned goods.   Some are only allowing seniors into the stores the first hour they are open in the morning.  

I think Costco is being extremely irresponsible, and in fact worsening, the panic buying and fueling hysteria.  With their inventory control system they could easily put on a limit (say) of 1 pack of TP and 1 flat of soup/beans per membership per week.  

Mike C

Joe Frickin' Friday
3 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Molly said, do you mind me asking why you’re getting so much TP? She said, because everyone else is.

I think that kind of describes how the stock market works lately.

• Like 1
roadscholar
58 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

I think that kind of describes how the stock market works lately.

Lately?  

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
9 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Lately?  

In reverse.  Heard a dissertation on a big bang theory.  Physicists posit there exists a repulsive gravity, one that repels rather than attracts - accounting for the "exploding out" behavior of the universe. 

That's today markets.  For the first time I'm aware, every asset class is getting clobbered.  I think it's hedge funds selling everything but the kitchen sink to raise cash; and, of course, ordinary stockholders are infected with the "sell it all now!" virus and thus we get savage reversions to and below the mean.  

We need a Roosevelt, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself:

...rulers of the exchange of mankind's goods have failed through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence, have admitted their failure, and have abdicated. Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men.

The money changers have fled from their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore that temple to the ancient truths. The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit.

Recognition of the falsity of material wealth as the standard of success goes hand in hand with the abandonment of the false belief that public office and high political position are to be valued only by the standards of pride of place and personal profit; and there must be an end to a conduct in banking and in business which too often has given to a sacred trust the likeness of callous and selfish wrongdoing.

Restoration calls, however, not for changes in ethics alone. This Nation asks for action, and action now.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

In reverse.  Heard a dissertation on a big bang theory.  Physicists posit there exists a repulsive gravity, one that repels rather than attracts - accounting for the "exploding out" behavior of the universe. 

That's today markets.  For the first time I'm aware, every asset class is getting clobbered.  I think it's hedge funds selling everything but the kitchen sink to raise cash; and, of course, ordinary stockholders are infected with the "sell it all now!" virus and thus we get savage reversions to and below the mean.  

We need a Roosevelt, "We have nothing to fear but fear itself:

Maybe in some cases. In this case, for the first few weeks the government said "Don't worry". See how well that worked out.

There is only one voice from DC that I trust.  Dr. Anthony Fauci. He is a no BS guy who knows what he is talking about and does it in a way that everyone can understand. To me, he appears to be the only one in the government w/o a political motive for their responses to the carona virus. 

The issue isn't if any of us get it, the problem is that a large number will get it and overwhelm the hospital system in such large numbers that DR's will be forced to triage who gets a ventilator and who dies. The US is no more immune that any of the other countries in the world. It will get much worse before it gets better.

People bulk buy because it gives them some feeling of control over their lives in a time where the have the feeling that life is out of control.

Once all of those folks have their supplies, the supply chain will replenish items and the bulk buying will cease.

Closer to home. With the restaurants closing tomorrow in Illinois. It will be a hardship on many of our older citizens in Nashville to eat. These regular customers who ate at least one meal a day at a local restaurant most likely didn't stock up because they could always eat out.  Nancy and I deliver meals on wheels once a month. Don't know how the demand will change but I expect many more meals to deliver in the near future.

Closed schools in Illinois mean a lot of kids, who only got a hot meal at school, will be doing without.  Our local grade school is planning on giving away sack lunches, but the kids still have to get there somehow. We have a lot of kids on school buses as we are a rural community.

The Illinois governor just announced the closing of some state agencies. I would think that more may follow.

YMMV

• Like 3

Bud,

Our local schools are closed. But they are working on providing meals to students, to go.

Some local restaurants are offering free lunches to kids.

The reality of today's world requires new solutions.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Most had no register-able symptoms at all so more likely, only their minds had been infected with fear.

Of everything I've researched / read across as many different sources as I can  (and its been a lot) ,  the verifiable symptoms appear to be

1. fever
  2. dry cough
  3. sore throat

The problem is that there are now articles about people who have tested positive that have displayed little if any symptoms of illness.  That coupled with the limited access to testing does drive a "herd type" panic.

17 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I hope not but we may be in for some big unknowns in the next month or so.

Unless the change to summer temperatures has an impact,  or a treatment is perfected and becomes widely available, yes, it will be unsettling.  Life goes on, but there are already empty shelves in our local grocery store .... not a complete inventory but some examples :

few if any fresh vegetables, no potatoes or onions, bagged salad, gone, only no fat milk left, some small scattering of beef and pork cuts, no chicken .  Candy aisle fully stocked :5150:

Houston...Harris County just imposed some new rules.  No in restaurant eating, must be picked up or delivered.  All clubs and bars closed.  No gathering including sports, weddings, etc greater than 10 people.  This is in effect for the next 15 days.  This is a population of roughly 5 million.  For as many people that are in Harris County the outbreak hasn't been too bad.  So far only 30 cases reported.

Some of the grocery stores will only allow people 65+ for the first hour of the day.

RandyShields

I feel bad for the paycheck to paycheck folks in the restaurant industry.  These shutdowns will hit them very hard.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

So far only 30 cases reported.

Depending on your location, only those who the medical profession have determined to be pretty sure they have COVID-19 are actually tested. So reported numbers really don't reflect the spread of the disease given the time from being exposed to showing symptoms ... and those with mild symptoms might hopefully figure its just the flu.  And since there is no treatment, those with mild cases should quarantine themselves ... which for many is simply impossible even if testing was available... so containment is not easily accomplished.  Which is why more time effort and money should be put towards anti-viral treatment as well as a vaccine.

In Arizona, Pima County testing is severely limited regardless of what's being said Nationally ...  note the last line in the box.  Since its impossible to know the medical history of the random strangers at the grocery store, it pretty much boils down to you if you haven't traveled you gotta be really, really sick and needing hospitalization before you get a test.  So in the end, testing only confirms something already suspected. 

1843158349_ScreenShot2020-03-16at6_45_13PM.thumb.png.9f1c1d2032fe90e842fd841a1313fcbd.png

Joe Frickin' Friday
11 hours ago, RandyShields said:

I feel bad for the paycheck to paycheck folks in the restaurant industry.  These shutdowns will hit them very hard.  

AIUI, restaurants in locations where heavy restrictions have been implemented are still open for carry-out business.  If you want to help keep them afloat, drop in from time to time and order a cheeseburger to go.  

Nicer restaurants - the kinds of places where nearly all of their customers dine in - will have a much more difficult time - and even if they are open for carry-out, dining room wait staff will probably not be on the clock...

I am 74 years old, feel like I am in great shape (although I did have quadruple bypass surgery 3 years ago).   Although when we all get together we are separated almost all day on our motorcycles,  I am starting to wonder about our parking lot and dinner gatherings.   My wife and daughter do not want me to attend START' '20 or this year's UnRally.   I am interested in our member's thoughts on this.

Bob, too early to decide.  We have to watch how things go for the next few weeks.  PS, I turn 84 during Start so I really hope to be there with friends.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Endobobdds said:

I am 74 years old, feel like I am in great shape (although I did have quadruple bypass surgery 3 years ago).   Although when we all get together we are separated almost all day on our motorcycles,  I am starting to wonder about our parking lot and dinner gatherings.   My wife and daughter do not want me to attend START' '20 or this year's UnRally.   I am interested in our member's thoughts on this.

Well, your President released revised White House guidelines yesterday afternoon, recommending - among other things - no gatherings of more than ten people, so there's one clue.  Other jurisdictions, like some U.S. states, go even further, telling those over sixty to stay home.  Those revised WH Guidelines cover the next 15 days only.  However, does anyone really believe that all will be sweetness and light in fifteen days?  I'd imagine those guidelines won't even last the fifteen days before being revised again.  There's also another equally, if not more important, consideration, and that's the effect we have on other vulnerable people.  This is what this whole social distancing effort is about.  Even if we don't think we're at risk of contracting the virus, by ignoring the guidelines - which are an attempt to flatten the curve of numbers infected, and reduce the risk of overwhelming the medical system - we may inadvertently be transmitting the virus, and thus contributing to the nightmare scenario that we already see playing out in places like Italy.  That's the reason there was a specific message aimed at millennials in yesterday's White House press briefing, exhorting them to follow these guidelines.  

While I have not publicly declared that I'm not attending START, I can't see how I would.  I have a son back home in Canada who's at high risk of a severe outcome if he gets infected (immmuno-suppressed kidney transplant recipient).  He, and his whole family, are depending on others to do the right thing, to reduce the chances of a very bad outcome.  It would be incredibly hypocritical of me, while I'm living here in the U.S., to selfishly ignore the WH and state recommendations on social distancing that are meant to save people here.  We're being asked to do things, like restricting gatherings,  to help people we don't know.  To paraphrase a pithy statement I read the other day, let's put this into perspective:  my father sacrificed six years of his life to fight in WW II; we're being asked to stay home with family, in a house with TV and internet.

For me, it's certainly not too early to consider not going to START.  I haven't canceled my room, and I'll take a final decision much closer to the date.   Deciding on the UnRally can wait, though I'm not at all sure that things will be back to normal (however one defines that) by July.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
John Ranalletta
28 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

Well, your President released revised White House guidelines yesterday afternoon, recommending - among other things - no gatherings of more than ten people, so there's one clue.  Other jurisdictions, like some U.S. states, go even further, telling those over sixty to stay home.  Those revised WH Guidelines cover the next 15 days only.  However, does anyone really believe that all will be sweetness and light in fifteen days?  I'd imagine those guidelines won't even last the fifteen days before being revised again.  There's also another equally, if not more important, consideration, and that's the effect we have on other vulnerable people.  This is what this whole social distancing effort is about.  Even if we don't think we're at risk of contracting the virus, by ignoring the guidelines - which are an attempt to flatten the curve of numbers infected, and reduce the risk of overwhelming the medical system - we may inadvertently be transmitting the virus, and thus contributing to the nightmare scenario that we already see playing out in places like Italy.  That's the reason there was a specific message aimed at millennials in yesterday's White House press briefing, exhorting them to follow these guidelines.  

While I have not publicly declared that I'm not attending START, I can't see how I would.  I have a son back home in Canada who's at high risk of a severe outcome if he gets infected (immmuno-suppressed kidney transplant recipient).  He, and his whole family, are depending on others to do the right thing, to reduce the chances of a very bad outcome.  It would be incredibly hypocritical of me, while I'm living here in the U.S., to selfishly ignore the recommendations on social distancing.  We're being asked to do things, like restricting gatherings,  to help people we don't know.  To paraphrase a pithy statement I read the other day, let's put this into perspective:  my father sacrificed six years of his life to fight in WW II; we're being asked to stay home with family, in a house with TV and internet.

It's certainly not too early to decide about START.  Deciding on the UnRally can wait, though I'm not at all sure that things will be back to normal (however one defines that) by July.

Family first, Marc.  Good for you and best wishes for you and yours.  My wife is a Type 1 diabetic - the most healthy diabetic I know, but still...

I just got off the phone with my buddy from Canada. We were talking about the RA and MOA rallies and if they would even be held, or if they were, would anyone come.

We have plans to be on our boat in the North Channel of Lake Huron in mid-July. I told Nancy today that I wouldn't be surprised if at would still decide not to travel at that time.

We did cancel an Alaskan cruise scheduled for mid August.

At this point, I would rather be wrong on the side of caution than the alternative........................

• Like 4
Bill_Walker

USA: 1,060 new confirmed cases and 11 new deaths today.  Totals 5,723 and 97, respectively.

Italy, which is about 11 days ahead of us: 3,526 new confirmed cases and 345 new deaths today.  Totals 31,506 and 2,503, respectively.

So far, our case fatality rate (deaths divided by cases) is considerably better than Italy's.  I hope it stays that way.  It should actually go down as we're able to do more testing (increasing the denominator).  But this is still very, very serious.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Introverts have been preparing their whole lives for moments like this, time for them to shine!!!

Meanwhile, back at work, we still have toilet paper and tissues, hand sanitizer stations throughout the facilities and many are taking advantage of the "work from home" option.

Several that flew in from San Diego over the weekend are awaiting whether or not their group needs to go home due to their proximity to a "potential" positive, but here at the moment.

I'm going to drive a 12 foot tall truck 250 miles into illinois and back tomorrow.  Guess I'll pack my lunch, won't fit a drive through.

I wondered today, while watching the daily presidential news program why the president and his cohorts don't model the social distance they say we should all be practicing. Seems to be a do as I say situation......................................

John Ranalletta

COVID or OBCD?

Raining outside.  Trapped inside.  Extra food in the larder.  I may not die of COVID but stand a good chance of falling to OBCD.

Apartment complex closed the community center/gym; so, my daily treadmill session is toast.  

11 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Apartment complex closed the community center/gym; so, my daily treadmill session is toast.  

We used to eat out (sit down restaurant) moderately often ... no more .... almost all of Arizona no dine in, no bars.

I haven't been out of the house in well over a week.  Getting very old but it's best to stay in.  I keep looking at my bike and wonder when I'll be able to ride again.

• Sad 1
John Ranalletta
4 minutes ago, Marty Hill said:

I haven't been out of the house in well over a week.  Getting very old but it's best to stay in.  I keep looking at my bike and wonder when I'll be able to ride again.

Close your eyes and take some of your awesome rides again.  Wish I could ride with you.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

COVID or OBCD?

Raining outside.  Trapped inside.  Extra food in the larder.  I may not die of COVID but stand a good chance of falling to OBCD.

• Haha 2

We are all lucky.  Think of all the people who don't ride or never will.  Think of all the wonderful places we have been to and have seen.  Think of all the good friends we have ridden with.:18:

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Marty Hill said:

I'm curious as to why you can't ride?

2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I'm curious as to why you can't ride?

Gas pump transference risk.  Marty can never ride less miles than two tankfuls will carry him.

• Like 1

I am staying home unless we need groceries. Have to say I am not impressed with how many people seem to have such a cavalier attitude about the possibilities of not only getting sick themselves, which may well have long term effects on the "healthy" group, but more importantly could easily spread the virus to others like elderly parents etc. Italy is BAD right now (have spoken with friends there) and just can't imagine the guilt I would have if I got someone sick due to my own selfish decision since I am in the "safe" demographic. 

Stay home, stay safe and we will all be riding again soon enough. In the meantime I have an airhead that needs some work and a shop that can use organizing. 

20200314_123417.jpg

• Like 3

It's Thursday, commute to work now shows traffic is lower than normal.  My building (600ish people) over this week has a bit more than half of the people coming in.  They're trying to stagger the days of who works when, but the nature of the jobs do not allow for non-interactions.

Wife and daughters hit a couple of stores yesterday and still can't believe how "panicky" people are.  She said she watched a group "tear into" a pallet of toilet paper when it was rolled out,....I guess that's still in short supply......and how much do you really need? 

On her teaching side, the schools have started some "distance learning" stuff and the initial impression of trying to teach ten year olds via the interweb ain't that great.  Since she's the hardest on the students, the school gives her all the "lower level" kids as she actually pushes them and disciplines them.  I remarked that there will be alot of cheating going on.  She commented back, yep, none of them get any "A's" in class, but during this time, will all likely be getting 100s,.......hmmmm.

10 year olds, she must teach 5th grade. Hmm, how'd I know that. :dopeslap: Nothing as of yet as far as home lessons up here but it's probably being worked on.

15 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

10 year olds, she must teach 5th grade. Hmm, how'd I know that. :dopeslap: Nothing as of yet as far as home lessons up here but it's probably being worked on.

4th,.....shoulda said 9-10 year olds.

For the distance learning, it was optional for the schools as not all schools in the county she teaches are doing it, but her principle is a, uh, well, it starts with a d, ends with a k, and has an ic in the middle.

I've told her to quit several times, 'cause she doesn't need the job, but she likes what she does, just doesn't like dealing with the administration, parents and sometimes, kids.......but she likes to teach,.....go figure.

And because she's the way she is getting the "low" kids, she's also got to deal with the non-english speaking kids,.....and I mean, zero English, none, nada, zilch.  She currently has two of those, and four of the speaks some English.  That don't count the parents that don't speak English at all.

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
20 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

COVID or OBCD?

Raining outside.  Trapped inside. 

:dontknow:  You don't own an umbrella?

I'm trapped inside too, but only because it's a paid work day.  We've been asked to telework by default and only come into the lab if we have a reason to be there.  Most folks at the lab have guvmint-issued laptop PCs they can take home.  Me?  I do a fair bit of data analysis, programming, and solid modelling so I've got a desktop model.  I don't know what's in it, but I swear to god, it weighs a good 40 pounds; it was a long walk out to the car with it.  

Yesterday I bought some takeout food from a local coney island diner to bring home for lunch.  Most days you walk in, it's so loud you can barely hear yourself think.  Yesterday the kitchen staff was busy prepping takeout orders, but the dining room was empty and silent.  It was weird.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

:dontknow:  You don't own an umbrella?

I only use umbrellas in mai tais

image.png.a0bacedbb8e5888c84223e5ff64a6a39.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, Jake said:

Gas pump transference risk.  Marty can never ride less miles than two tankfuls will carry him.

Copy that. I had to gas up the work van yesterday. I am not a germaphobe, but I put on some company issued latex gloves to handle the pump. This situation is making me double think everything.

I'm off to the hospital to do some work for Covid infrastructure changes.

Wish me luck.