IGNORED

COVID-19 Poll

John Ranalletta

Is COVID-19 causing you to rethink any plans or take any precautions?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Sean Cavanaugh posted this on FB.  How to protect your family.

https://bit.ly/3dEQ9ed

very powerful ... sadly I'd think most folks will never last through the entire one hour presentation ... but they should !!

Here is an alternate visualization of the IHME projections:

418009909_IHMEVisualization.thumb.png.b235d0bff3f2cd18cd735d600ee5bb48.png

Any of you who still have hair, consider having it cut at home. What could possibly go wrong?

On 3/30/2020 at 7:06 AM, Rougarou said:

Protect yourself

image.png.8f61e517d3956c250a892798ebe07398.png

Love the double pad...one vertical and one horizontal.....and yet the fool isn't wearing gloves.  Funny Folks around us all!  I wore mask and gloves to the grocery store this morning, but my left glove tore a little with each movement, so that when I was at checkout, the lady laughed at me.  I was grinning at her, but she couldn't see that under my mask :4323:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

Love the double pad...one vertical and one horizontal.....and yet the fool isn't wearing gloves.  Funny Folks around us all!  I wore mask and gloves to the grocery store this morning, but my left glove tore a little with each movement, so that when I was at checkout, the lady laughed at me.  I was grinning at her, but she couldn't see that under my mask :4323:

Umm, that ain't no mask vertical and horizontal,....it's a feminine mask with wings

szurszewski
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

and yet the fool isn't wearing gloves.

serious question: as far as I know this virus isn’t entering though the skin,

so assuming one doesn’t have open wounds on one’s hands, what do the gloves do that your skin won’t?

Last time I was at the grocery store, the woman in front of me was wearing gloves. Touched the key pad on the POS terminal, then reached up to adjust her glasses and also rubber her cheek under her eye a bit - seems like that’s the same problem it would have been with bare skin. 

As for the fellow in the pic, I don’t think the pads are going to offer much protection, but if I were going to cover my hands OR my mouth/airway, I’d cover my airway and stick to washing/sanitizing my hands and trying damn hard (why is it SO hard?!?) to not touch my face while I’m out in public. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

if I were going to cover my hands OR my mouth/airway, I’d cover my airway and stick to washing/sanitizing my hands and trying damn hard (why is it SO hard?!?) to not touch my face while I’m out in public. 

In the video John posted earlier by Dr. David Price of Weill Cornell Medical Center , he gave the best reason I've heard for wearing a mask ... even a home made cloth one ... its to stop your hands from directly touching  your mouth and nose.  Its the transference from hands to face that he says is the primary transmission method of the virus.

Its sooooo normal to touch your face to scratch an itch or rub your nose that just trying to do it by simple will power is really tough.

26 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

I just don’t get the gloves.

me either :16:  Still gets on gloves.  And you have to take the gloves off and dispose of them which means you really need to sanitize your hands anyway.

When all this was just getting started, a CDC spokesperson warned about touching the face — and then did just that while she was speaking. It's difficult not to do, and gloves are of no help. 

When I go to Walmart (the only grocery store within a 20-mile radius), I grab a strip of disinfectant wipes as I enter, and wrap them around the handle of the shopping cart. That way, my hands never touch the cart, and are in constant contact with the disinfectant. That leaves only the food as a possible vector for infection, which is why I also wash my hands as soon as I can after returning home. 

I don't think I'm being paranoid. I have been hospitalized multiple times for asthma and pneumonia, I have bronchiectasis, and 2 years ago was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I don't like my survival odds if I catch it, so I try to avoid contagion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Selden said:

When all this was just getting started, a CDC spokesperson warned about touching the face — and then did just that while she was speaking. It's difficult not to do, and gloves are of no help. 

When I go to Walmart (the only grocery store within a 20-mile radius), I grab a strip of disinfectant wipes as I enter, and wrap them around the handle of the shopping cart. That way, my hands never touch the cart, and are in constant contact with the disinfectant. That leaves only the food as a possible vector for infection, which is why I also wash my hands as soon as I can after returning home. 

My exact procedure as well !!  But I also sanitize after loading the car , before driving off and again at home after unloading / storing the groceries.

1 hour ago, Selden said:

I don't think I'm being paranoid. I have been hospitalized multiple times for asthma and pneumonia, I have bronchiectasis, and 2 years ago was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I don't like my survival odds if I catch it, so I try to avoid contagion

Am again reminded of that infamous line ....  " Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they the virus  aren't  isn't after you."  By avoiding it, one increases the chance that a treatment will become available to help create a more advantageous outcome .

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Yessir...I knew that, even though I've never used one!  :whistle:

Fauci and WHO (bogus organization) are now recommending masks when out in "public" which is a turnabout.

After donating a couple of dozen N95 masks to a local ER, I learned our kids don't have masks.  My D-I-L and son work at Merck facilities; so, I assumed they had access, but Merck donated spares to a local hospital.   Ruth has been making cotton masks for friends, but we're going to make HEPA masks as soon as the supplies arrive (which will probably be about a day after 3M floods the market).

Here's a video with instructions.

Need:

• Hoover HEPA vacuum filter bags "Y" - ordered from ACE Hardware.  Each bag makes 4 filters
  • Glue gun & glue
  • Pipe cleaners (Creatology™ Chenille Stems, 100 Count) at Michaels or any craft/hobby store
  • Elastic (most stores are out but I ordered from https://www.pacifictrimming.com/  Below is order detail for 10 yds of white elastic band, 8mm width:  

image.png.feb500a4073670c9fb662c2b9b8dfa87.png

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Yessir...I knew that, even though I've never used one!  :whistle:

Well, hopefully you never have to use a used one :18:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Fauci and WHO (bogus organization) are now recommending masks when out in "public" which is a turnabout.

After donating a couple of dozen N95 masks to a local ER, I learned our kids don't have masks.  My D-I-L and son work at Merck facilities; so, I assumed they had access, but Merck donated spares to a local hospital.   Ruth has been making cotton masks for friends, but we're going to make HEPA masks as soon as the supplies arrive (which will probably be about a day after 3M floods the market).

Here's a video with instructions.

Need:

• Hoover HEPA vacuum filter bags "Y" - ordered from ACE Hardware.  Each bag makes 4 filters
  • Glue gun & glue
  • Pipe cleaners (Creatology™ Chenille Stems, 100 Count) at Michaels or any craft/hobby store
  • Elastic (most stores are out but I ordered from https://www.pacifictrimming.com/  Below is order detail for 10 yds of white elastic band, 8mm width:  

image.png.feb500a4073670c9fb662c2b9b8dfa87.png

Hope Everyone knows I was referring to the feminine pads...I wear a mask any time I'm around people..👍

On 3/27/2020 at 4:41 PM, Bill_Walker said:

And if you do it someplace that's really impacted and need ICU, there may not be a bed available for you.

Bill, you should change your board name to "Ray of Sunshine."

• Haha 1
Bill_Walker
11 hours ago, beemerboy said:

Bill, you should change your board name to "Ray of Sunshine."

I'm all about realism over false hope.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Talk about false hope. Last night at 8:04 PM, the JHU COVID-19 tracker looked like this:

1216943241_Screenshot2020-04-01at8_04_01PM.thumb.png.e0152c84dca3f87cbe2c15450b485279.png

April 1, and miraculously, it was gone — for about 2 hours.

6 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

I'm all about realism over false hope.  Forewarned is forearmed.

I'm a realist, but also optimist for most things.  Yes, this will be bad in the short term, but even at the 240k deaths in the U.S. (estimated),  is still only 0.7% of the population.   For me, I weigh the numbers and while there is nothing in the media that is more prevalent than this virus, it still does not negate the numbers of estimated deaths vs population

Is it bad, meh, yes, simply because it hit like a ton of bricks, but I have no doubts that it will be under control in the near future as the brilliant people working to find solutions will get a break through.

Fill your glass and keep it full!

11 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Is it bad, meh, yes, simply because it hit like a ton of bricks, but I have no doubts that it will be under control in the near future as the brilliant people working to find solutions will get a break through.

The breakthrough almost certainly won't be chloroquine/azithromycin therapy. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-02/hyped-malaria-drug-not-showing-much-effect-at-one-paris-hospital

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hydroxychloroquine-and-azithromycin-versus-covid-19/

https://forbetterscience.com/2020/03/26/chloroquine-genius-didier-raoult-to-save-the-world-from-covid-19/

Emory University started a stage I vaccine trial on March 16:  https://news.emory.edu/stories/2020/03/coronavirus_vteu_modernastart/index.html

If the current pandemic runs its course over the next few months, infecting 5% of the population, that leaves 95% (ignoring fatalities) who will not have acquired resistance, which leaves plenty of room for flare ups until a virus has been tested, produced, and used. I try to maintain a glass half full perspective, but 5% is a long way from half full.

Perspective changes for someone who is going on 74, with a lifelong history of pulmonary issues including asthma, pneumonia, and bronchiectasis.

Bill_Walker
8 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Yes, this will be bad in the short term, but even at the 240k deaths in the U.S. (estimated),  is still only 0.7% of the population.

Perspective: 58,318 American military personnel were killed in the Viet Nam War.  

So they are expecting about a bit over quadruple the amount of deaths now as were in the Viet Nam War.  That doesn't look very good to me.

I have an idea: I am already taking azithromycin. I can add gin & tonic (contains quinine) to my daily regime. Even if it does nothing for COVID-19, I won't care. :5223:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Bill_Walker said:

Perspective: 58,318 American military personnel were killed in the Viet Nam War.  

Perspective, Tsunami of 2004 killed 184k people in a single day hit

A little more:

U.S. Deaths:  2.8 million annually average

Some leading causes:

Heart Disease:  647457 (my opinion, take care of yourself/body, many could be prevented, not all, but many)

Accidents:  169936

Diabetes:  83564 (my opinion, take care of yourself/body, many could be prevented, not all but many)

Influenza and Pneumonia:  55672

Suicide:  47173

Perspective:  My unit in Iraq 2004-05 lost 50 personnel, 2.3%, good numbers......with the largest single day loss of 31 from a CH53 that fell out of the sky.  Yes, the losses suck/hurt, but the numbers are good.

So, perspective, high estimate of 240k would bring an average of deaths up to 3.04 million, the 240k is 7.9% of the annual deaths......that's still, a low number in the big picture.

Some leading causes:

Heart Disease:  647457 (my opinion, take care of yourself/body, many could be prevented, not all, but many)

Accidents:  169936

Diabetes:  83564 (my opinion, take care of yourself/body, many could be prevented, not all but many)

Influenza and Pneumonia:  55672

Suicide:  47173

Did not realize the U.S suicide rate was so high.  Very sad to see hear this. 

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Selden said:

I have an idea: I am already taking azithromycin. I can add gin & tonic (contains quine) to my daily regime. Even if it does nothing for COVID-19, I won't care. :5223:

Thought I read that this combo does not work if the lung cells are already infected; thus, the treatment involves transfusing with non-COVID-infected blood containing the drugs.

35 minutes ago, Endobobdds said:

Did not realize the U.S suicide rate was so high.  Very sad to see hear this. 

A large part of the U.S. suicide rate is from firearms. Guns are extremely effective. "In 2017, over half of the nation's 47,173 suicides involved a firearm. The U.S. Department of Justice reports that about 60% of all adult firearm deaths are by suicide."

I am conflicted, in that while I am generally in favor of gun control, I am also in favor of being able to determine one's own fate. At the moment, I am not suicidal, and I don't own a gun (other than a .22 caliber Crosman CO2 pistol).

21 minutes ago, Selden said:

A large part of the U.S. suicide rate is from firearms. Guns are extremely effective. "In 2017, over half of the nation's 47,173 suicides involved a firearm. The U.S. Department of Justice reports that about 60% of all adult firearm deaths are by suicide."

I am conflicted, in that while I am generally in favor of gun control, I am also in favor of being able to determine one's own fate. At the moment, I am not suicidal, and I don't own a gun (other than a .22 caliber Crosman CO2 pistol).

A large part of the U.S. suicide rate is from wanting to end their own life, a feeling of hopelessness, .....don't fault the tool, those 47173 if the want is bad enough, will find a way.  Japan has a higher suicide rate than the U. S. and the predominate method is hanging followed by high jumping.  So the tools do make it easier, but the tool is not the problem.  Also, Guyana, the country with the highest suicide rate in the world, the most common method is ingesting pesticide,....they will find a way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You can google it yourself but surprised none of you have mentioned the hundreds of thousands abortions every year.  Not that long ago Cuomo was celebrating signing a law allowing full term abortion, go figure. 

Wrong place to bring up this topic. Go to "Full Throttle".

Edited by Whip
Politics
John Ranalletta

Update from local ER doc 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/covid-19-lessons-from-er-part-4-gavin-inglis/?trackingId=VwxnFF31e5dQNfCuHM%2BTSQ%3D%3D

1.    Can I get COVID-19 if I had the Flu…or the Flu Vaccine? Yes. I have admitted 2 patients that were positive for Influenza B AND later tested positive for COVID-19.

2.    How is the ‘Surge’ still coming if we have been isolated for so long? This is a complex answer that is not concrete and involves math! If 2 trains leave the stations at the same time…NO, JUST KIDDING! People typically start to show symptoms 2-14 days after they get the virus (the average being 5 days). We are finding that people start to have their breathing problems that put them in the hospital 8-10 days AFTER they started to show their

On 4/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, Endobobdds said:

This vido was posted by @Bernie on the START '20 forum.   I felt it should be seen by those frequenting this thread.

I like it:18:

Heres a PG version 

• Thanks 1
On 4/2/2020 at 6:39 PM, mickeym3 said:

You can google it yourself but surprised none of you have mentioned the hundreds of thousands abortions every year.  Not that long ago Cuomo was celebrating signing a law allowing full term abortion, go figure. 

The Full Throttle Forum has been established for political debate.  It is not permitted in this forum.  

• Thanks 2

Immunologist says he's got the cure  but whether true or not, what gets me is:

"Our next move is we hand this off to the U.S. military, a consortium from the Gates Foundation and some private groups."

See the bold, test subjects.  While active, during the gulf war, we were "forced" to take non-FDA approved anti-nerve agent drugs due to the threat of chemical weapons.

Over my time, there's no telling what chemical concoctions were injected into me.  Get called down to BAS to take x, y, z shots or pop a, b, c pills.

Hmmmm

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

I sure hope 3M's face masks are better than their combat ear plugs

I’d be “What-ing” myself all the way down to the local John Deere tractor outlet. :grin:

1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

I’d be “What-ing” myself all the way down to the local John Deere tractor outlet. :grin:

Ya, I got my hearing aids 'bout 2001, so, I can't really claim the 3M thing :(

Sheltering in place now the law here too, so just being thankful that I have a place in which to do that.    

image020.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Michigan just extended the stay-at-home order through April 30.  This was expected and pretty reasonable under the circumstances, but still a turd sandwich.  :-(

szurszewski
1 hour ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Michigan just extended the stay-at-home order through April 30.  This was expected and pretty reasonable under the circumstances, but still a turd sandwich.  :-(

Yep - WA got ours extended to/through at least 5/4 and of course an announcement followed keeping schools from having any in person contact through the rest of this school year. The kid is pretty bummed, but does understand why. Now we just need to keep him from going crazy...

Arkansas’ brilliant governor refuses to enact a stay at home order citing people needing to work etc. I see both sides and hope it works for the best. 

We all hope it works out for the best, but some people are bound to be right, some wrong, and many will be dead. We should know by December.

This piece from POLITICO presents a variety of perspectives: When Can America Reopen From Its Coronavirus Shutdown? This part leapt of the screen at me:

We came away with two main insights. First, we found that areas that were more severely affected by the 1918 flu saw a sharp and persistent decline in real economic activity. Pennsylvania, for example, experienced a substantial fall in manufacturing employment and banking sector assets, compared with less affected states like Michigan. The decline in economic activity was large—with an 18 percent decline in manufacturing output for the typical state—and lasted for several years after 1918....

Second, we found that cities that implemented early and extensive public-health measures suffered no adverse economic effects from these interventions by 1919; in other words, the interventions did not make the economic impact of the flu worse. On the contrary, cities that intervened earlier and more aggressively experienced a relative increase in real economic activity after the pandemic subsided, compared with cities that intervened less aggressively.... 

Of course, there are a number of important differences between the 1918 flu and the current Covid-19 pandemic—most importantly, that the 1918 flu was significantly more deadly for healthy, working-age adults. But our research suggests that public health interventions such as social distancing should not be viewed as economically costly. Doing nothing could be far worse.

• Like 1