IGNORED

Possible mpg drop issue?

MBrockman5

I apologize for bringing up a dreaded mpg post. Just blame it on me being a newb....

My low fuel light comes on at about 215 miles and the BC says I'm getting 39.x mpg. Is this normal/average range?

I've had my 07 RT since October. Sorry after I got it, it developed the fuel leak on top of the pump. Before I replaced all of the connectors I was only getting 200 miles to a tank. Although the fuel leak has been fixed, my fuel mileage isn't as high as I was expecting.

I've recently replaced the k&n filter (that I didn't know I had) with a regular BMW air filter, all 4 spark plugs, new Road 5 GT tires, and an oil change. I commute 2 days a week from near Sacramento down to San Francisco and I'm usually cruising at around 70-75mph. 

*Random info: My bike has a Remus muffler (baffle removed), a Cee Bailey's windscreen, F/R Ohlins shocks, and it's just me riding with my backpack in my top case. 

Can’t help you on mpg expectations. There are a lot of variables to factor in. My ‘09 RT ran out of gas showing 54 miles on the on board computer’s remaining range of the tank. In retrospect I probably could’ve leaned the bike over on its side to get the remaining fuel on the fuel pick-up side of the tank but from that point forward I never trusted the computer’s fuel data. I reset my trip meter every fill up just to be safe. 

12 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

I apologize for bringing up a dreaded mpg post. Just blame it on me being a newb....

My low fuel light comes on at about 215 miles and the BC says I'm getting 39.x mpg. Is this normal/average range?

I've had my 07 RT since October. Sorry after I got it, it developed the fuel leak on top of the pump. Before I replaced all of the connectors I was only getting 200 miles to a tank. Although the fuel leak has been fixed, my fuel mileage isn't as high as I was expecting.

I've recently replaced the k&n filter (that I didn't know I had) with a regular BMW air filter, all 4 spark plugs, new Road 5 GT tires, and an oil change. I commute 2 days a week from near Sacramento down to San Francisco and I'm usually cruising at around 70-75mph. 

*Random info: My bike has a Remus muffler (baffle removed), a Cee Bailey's windscreen, F/R Ohlins shocks, and it's just me riding with my backpack in my top case. 

Morning  MBrockman5

39 mpg isn't too bad if you are riding long periods at 85-90 mph. Of if you idle the engine a lot without moving (warm-up, etc),  or if you are riding primarily in sub freezing conditions.

What is your ACTUAL fuel mileage (not computer figured but manually calculated using distance traveled vs fuel added???

You also need to be consistent in how full you fill the fuel tank at each filling (or average out a few tankful's to get an average fuel mileage). 

If you don't zero out your dash fuel computer at each fill-up they  sometimes don't report accurately.

So, give us your ACTUAL fuel mileage figured from miles traveled vs fuel added to the tank, how you ride (non moving idle time, speeds ridden, riding temperatures, etc), then we more accurately comment on (IF) your 39 mpg is in the ball park or way out of line. 

I'll try to primarily use my Zumo 550 for the next few fill ups and see what I come up with. The difference between the Zumo and BC isn't much different (± 10 miles or so). Being that this is the first bike I've had with a Low Fuel light, I will admit that once that blinking yellow triangle catches my eye and I forget about the Zumo's fuel gauge. 

7 minutes ago, MBrockman5 said:

I'll try to primarily use my Zumo 550 for the next few fill ups and see what I come up with. The difference between the Zumo and BC isn't much different (± 10 miles or so). Being that this is the first bike I've had with a Low Fuel light, I will admit that once that blinking yellow triangle catches my eye and I forget about the Zumo's fuel gauge. 

Afternoon  MBrockman5

Your Zumo 550 doesn't interface with your fuel system so it's fuel mileage is just  guess based on miles traveled & what you have entered (it has no idea on how much fuel you have ACTUALLY used).

The only true measure is to manually  figure fuel used vs miles traveled. (you can use your Z-550 for miles traveled as that will be close, not exact but pretty close)

That's what I meant. I use the Zumo for the miles traveled. I figure that has to be more accurate than the bike's odometer. 

In the mean time, I'm off to research how to repair/replace the upper windscreen arms as the right one decided to 🤬 snap on my way home...