IGNORED

BMW tank bag

DaveRT

I have it, and like it very much: Plenty of room, seems real durable, clicks onto the rail without the need for any straps or pads, clicks off for refueling, exapnds if you need it to, but it was EXPENSIVE...that's the only drawback

Agree, and it's a big improvement over the one on my R1150RT.

The R1200RT one also has a waterproof inner bag that looks as if it will survive monsoons.

Only minor negative is that it is a tad awkward to carry off-bike.

I like mine, though I wish it had more than just one compartment in it. Also, one of the round rubber bumpers came off from underneath and is now lost. I'm going to have to rig something to replace it. The dealer can't order these separately.

Jay

I like the ease with which it can be removed for refuelling etc. It's far better than the one I had on my R110RT. I was however really disappointed to find it doesn't actually take a popular (Michelin) map without folding it just a bit smaller than the original folds. I also agree that it's not particularly comfy to carry. Maybe a shoulder strap would have helped?

marcopolo

Just got one three days ago when I picked up my new RT. It's handy on/off, but pricey as others have said. I'd repeat one gripe and that's that it's just one cavernous compartment. The Marsee that I was using on my old bike had a small compartment on the end that I used for ear plugs, bike keys, tire guage, ownership/insurance papers etc. Inside, it also had a small, thin case that attached with velcro to hold Next Of Kin info, and sleeves for various size pens. Made it easier to find things. With the BMW bag, I suspect there'l be more rooting around. On the other hand, with the Marsee you had to put a separate rain cover on it, which was a PITA and semi-inflated as you rode. BMW should be much better in that respect. I think the BMW is a good bag.

Have owned/used one for about a year. Similar observations: expensive but worth it, lost a rubber "bumper", ease of use when refueling, etc...

Biggest itch is no convenient place to put the small, every-day trip items like keys, sunglasses, cell phone...

Partially solved with TOURATECH "R1200RT Handlebar Utensil Bag" in conjunction with the BMW tank bag (See attached picture). It was inexpensive and does the trick for easy access to the little things. No afffiliation, etc..

Mike05

677404-01-047-0210-01-lg.jpg.9336580fae0ea0915734802ca7fc0aa3.jpg

I talked to a Marsee rep at the Long Beach BMW GS Open House. He told me that by Q4 of this year, they will have tank bags that use the BMW rail system. I'd expect them to start showing up in early '07. I love Marsee stuff so much, I'll wait. clap.gif

Touratech do a R1200RT-specific tank bag that appears to use up the available space a little better than the BMW bag, has extra compartments, has waterproof inner bag, and optional extras such as a "bumbag" and map pocket. It utilises the tank rail but attached with straps and velcro and hinges up for refuelling. Also expensive, about the same price as BMW. Has anybody got one? Will someone please buy one and tell me if they are any good before I take the plunge!

I too have the BMW bag and initially was disappointed about the large cavernous space with no dividers. I solved this by going to the "Container Store" and purchasing three black plastic drawer dividers that fit perfectly in the bottom of the bag. I can put all kinds of little stuff in these and still have room for another larger clear plastic tray that fits on top and gives me a second level and room for bigger stuff. Works great!

Limecreek

Touratech also sells a smaller tank bag for a reasonable price. You can find my review of the bag here.

The R12RT bag is very roomy -- excellent for an LD trip. Because there are no comparment, you'll find yoursef rooting around for stuff. BMW should consider making a smaller bag for shorter trips can that use the same rail system. It's that rail system that makes life so much simpler.

Thank you for your review. I cannot figure out, even from their own literature, how does the bag mount at the rear. I understand the front, but is the 'velcro' at the rear glued to the rail?

• 3 weeks later...
Touratech do a R1200RT-specific tank bag that appears to use up the available space a little better than the BMW bag, has extra compartments, has waterproof inner bag, and optional extras such as a "bumbag" and map pocket. It utilises the tank rail but attached with straps and velcro and hinges up for refuelling. Also expensive, about the same price as BMW. Has anybody got one? Will someone please buy one and tell me if they are any good before I take the plunge!

I have a "Flat Bag" from Touratech ($122.00+) as I didn't want a tall one...Flat Bag is about 4" tall on top of the tank....I really like this bag; It'll pop off in about 5 seconds to carry in the cafe if your valuables are in it and it velcro's down in the back so hinging up to fuel is no problem...Looks good on the bike too...Only thing I didn't like is that the map case is too wide for the bag...I think they use the same one for the big bag.......So, I just velcroed on a narrower map case I had from a Tour Master bag and it works OK....

Price is right too at $122.00.......Big bag from is $308.00+.......You've probably already been here but here's the site:

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/BMW.lasso?SubCat=R1200RT

Phil......Redbrick

Thank you for your review. I cannot figure out, even from their own literature, how does the bag mount at the rear. I understand the front, but is the 'velcro' at the rear glued to the rail?

Assuming you are referring to the Touratech bag here:

No....You take the seat off and the velcro has a kind of sticky tape on the other side that adheres under that shoulder at the back of the tank where the front of the seat fits...The velcro part comes up the back side of the tank to accept the velcro tab on the bag....

Hope I described that OK.......

Phil.......Redbrick

Archived