IGNORED

The Cousin Jeremy Story

TEWKS

My Roadcrafter is about to give up the ghost after 24 years of fine service. :thumbsup: Now Klim has no doubt temped me but sometimes, staying with what you know is ok too.

My question, "waxed cotton" is old-school and a bit before my time. The Cousin Jeremy is a waxed cotton Roadcrafter which looks very nice to my eyes. Is it a safe bet?

Or would you stay with the conventional Cordura?

The Cousin Jeremy Story

Aerostitch-Cousin-Jeremy-Suit-CityBike-A

I had (and still have some) a bunch of waxed cotton stuff in college - Filson mostly - and it's very "cool" but it's also way more of a pain in the ass than cordura. To maintain the finish you'll need to rewax it periodically, and, because it's covered with wax, stuff will stick to and it will get grimy way faster than regular riding gear does. If you want that sort of patina, then you'll get it!

There's not really any way to "wash" waxed cotton other than wiping it down - I suppose you could run it through a washing machine, but I think the results would not be very good.

I just took a quick glance at their website but didn't see if it's got a bonded waterproof layer - does it? If not, I'd class it as highly water resistant if properly cared for and waxed, but not waterproof... Should be a good bit more breathable than their regular suit fabric though....

• Like 1

I have read a similar review of the Cousin Jeremy, forget where it was posted might have been in the Aerostich catalog, but the short answer is as noted above it is very cool but is not as waterproof as cordura, requires more maintenance, attracts dirt easier and just does not see as good of an all around choice.  If you are looking for a "cool" sunny day riding jacket it may fit the bill.  But for an all around riding tool I would go cordura for sure. 

• Like 2

Thanks for your thoughts guys! Sounds like you'll have to give up the big benefit of the Roadcrafter coining the phrase, "ride hard & put away wet" over and over again. Hmm, style over function and longevity. :dontknow: 

You can get some comparable feedback by doing some research on Barbour coats.  As folks have said, they are warm, fairly waterproof and breathable, but need to be re-waxed regularly.  (You can do it yourself or send it back to Barbour for a fee.)  Stuff also sticks to the wax, notably animal fur and hair.  Very hard to get it off, as you can't dry clean it or use a washing machine.  While I wear one out when it is cold and damp, I would not consider wearing that material on a motorcycle ride -- particularly if there was a heavy rain in the forecast.  I would not expect it to be as waterproof as Gore Tex.  

Good luck with your choice.

• Thanks 1

I have a new (about 18 months old now) Klim Latitude that I can wear all year in the Memphis area (very hot in the summers) and is completely waterproof. Under it I wear a Warm & Safe heated liner and with this combo I am good to ride in weather from the 20's all the way to the low hundreds. I'm a big Aerostitch fan but this Latitude is simply amazing.

Waxed cotton is going to get grimy fast and will be a pain to wash. My Latitude after 18 months of almost daily commuting still looks clean. 

• Like 1

I just called, they're going to send me out a sample of the waxed cotton and the tan cordura also. After 24 years, still very nice people to chat with! :grin: :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

I had a very pleasant tour of the facility a couple of years ago - everyone was quite nice. Almost like we were in Minnesota or some such place ;)

When I rode to Glacier and then on to the Salida UN I was within a few mile of the place. I was alone and on a mission so I didn’t stop. Regret # 9063. :grin:

Only if your shift is on the right, 1 up and 3 down...

:old:

Why would be my question.

Too much work, too much downside.

You want to look cool, get leather.

Modern stuff is so much better.

Only way would be for a vintage event, concours, Riding into History.

Even then, I'd try to get authentic vintage.

• Like 2

I don’t know if this came up in conversation but the lady at stich told me you can not wash it, ever. :dontknow: Can you say “stinky” after three years of use. :eek:

Plus...if I tipped the GS on a gravel road and took a tumble, I’d look like a French Vanilla ice cream cone covered in jimmies! :D

Lots of bad but it still looks 😎 

5 hours ago, TEWKS said:

I don’t know if this came up in conversation but the lady at stich told me you can not wash it, ever. :dontknow: Can you say “stinky” after three years of use. :eek:

Plus...if I tipped the GS on a gravel road and took a tumble, I’d look like a French Vanilla ice cream cone covered in jimmies:D

Lots of bad but it still looks 😎 

We call that "patina" HA!!   Like I said ... the waxed cotton really looks cool!   That is what the Australian dusters were made of .... maybe that's why they call them dusters! 

• Like 1

I seem to recall the catalog saying that waxed cotton has poorer abrasion resistance than Cordura (which, in turn, is poorer than leather).  Seeing as how abrasion resistance is the whole reason we wear this stuff, the choice seems pretty obvious.

• Like 1

This ain't a freakin' fashion show and you're already married with children,........function over form,.....say it with me, function-over-form!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For an even more unique old timey look you could try waxing or better, tarring a normal garage overall, or an army surplus tank combo. Instant street cred & patina!

• Haha 1
On 2/26/2020 at 6:38 PM, Rougarou said:

This ain't a freakin' fashion show 

D2A48FEA-6414-4AF3-93F0-263D8302291C.jpeg
:whistle:
 :D

Now my thought may be to ship my stich back and have them replace the broken

zippers and an overall refresh. But we’ll see.

1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

D2A48FEA-6414-4AF3-93F0-263D8302291C.jpeg
:whistle:
 :D

Now my thought may be to ship my stich back and have them replace the broken

zippers and an overall refresh. But we’ll see.

Geesh,....are you a metrosexual or what?:grin:  If alls the old suit needs is a tech-refresh, save the dough,.....I'm frugal cheeeep that way.......afterall, mine came from goodwill, not alot of color choice when you be shopping second-third hand and find the right deal ;)  I don't think the maroon in mine matches/coordinates with any bike,.....it especially looked funny riding the beautiful blue/white HP4.....but my Arai did match the HP4;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A new jacket only, :5147:my pants are in much better shape than the jacket so a fix of the broken zip and a pocket rip stitched might get me to the finish line. 

I almost sure, I could beat you with cheap! :rofl:

On 2/26/2020 at 5:38 PM, Rougarou said:

This ain't a freakin' fashion show and you're already married with children,........function over form,.....say it with me, function-over-form!!!

You've obviously never owned a Harley Davidson! 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hosstage said:

You've obviously never owned a Harley Davidson! 

Now, I have a better time showing up wearing my Roadcrafter. It utterly confuses the shit out of the HD crowd, which is fun. :grin:

• Like 1

Richard, you reinvigorated my cheap. :grin: A wash, a couple zipper tabs and a quick Scotch-Guard spray should get me 27 yrs. That tan and black is handsome though.:rofl:

0AE2892F-9499-40B3-804E-EC44CC781BE4.jpeg

88C9F6C1-F6AF-443A-B408-325B8C6A6F3E.jpeg

Yep, another slow day in old Tewksbury. :D

• Like 1

Funny what some frugalness will do.  If the abrasion resistance ain't worn out, the coat is still good to go.

This stuff is AWESOME!!!!  But you'll need to re-apply once you notice seep-through.  I use it on my crotch,......don't know if I should be spraying it on the inside sometimes too;)

https://www.neverwet.com/assets/images/consumer/NEVERWET-FABRIC.png

As a recruiter, to keep the uniform looking sharp even in the hottest, most humid of days in Louisiana, I'd scotch guard the "inside" of my shirts,.......never let them see you sweat!!!!

• Like 2

This is what I just used on my bike rain suit and 1/2 of my work rain suit.  Apparently, one bottle of waterproofing only works for 3 items in the wash.  Another order is on the way so I can waterproof the work rain pants and Laura's bike rain suit.  Rain is expected for the commute home, so I got that going for me.  Which is nice.

• Like 1
szurszewski

I have used Scotchgard, lots of Nikwax products and the pictured NeverWet. The Neverwet is the best spray on product I've found. I made a convertible top for our sidecar out of cordura - spraying it with Neverwet even kept water from coming through the seams. As stated, reapply when water stops beading and you'll be good to go.

• Like 1