IGNORED

MotoGP, World Superbike TV Coverage

TestPilot

Don’t expect to see either of these series on beIN Sports this year.  According to a report on bizjournals.com (see link below), NBC Sports will host MotoGP for 2020 on the NBC and NBC Sports networks with a mixture of live and tape-delayed broadcasts.  If I read the report correctly, only the MotoGP races will be broadcast.  Moto2 and Moto3 will only be available via MotoGP’s paid VideoPass subscription, so we’re getting significantly less coverage than previously with beIN Sports.  The report goes on to say that NBC will air three races on tape-delay and NBC Sports will show five races live, with the rest available by tape-delay.  The report also says that many of the later season races will be shown immediately following NBC Sports’ coverage of NASCAR, meaning if you plan to record them you will have no idea of the start or end times for the broadcasts.  Really piss-poor coverage!

As for FIM Superbike, there has been no official word on which network will provide coverage.  However, Dorna owns the rights to both series, and my cable provider’s on-screen TV guide shows a 90 minute Superbike broadcast on NBC Sports on Monday, March 2, at 6 PM EST.  I expect this will be coverage of the first round in Australia, scheduled for February 29 and March 1.  If so, I expect abbreviated coverage, not the complete Supersport, Superbike and Superpole race coverage that beIN Sports provided.  Again, really piss-poor!

Here’s the link to the bizjournals.com article:  https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2020/01/28/nbc-lands-rights-to-motorcycle-racing.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Yes read that earlier.  Network coverage of GP sucks.  They cut away for commercials several times and you miss many laps.  I have been subscribing to Video Pass for a few years now.  I rationalize it as about $ 5 bucks per race.  I can watch it live or anytime I want.  You can see any race any time all year long.  It also has many interviews and other info.  I know it's not for everybody but for GP I think it is the best.  NBC will ruin this from a TV perspective...not to mention some idiot like Costas trying to announce it from 8000 miles away.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I have been subscribing to Video Pass for a few years now. 

Same ... . no commercials or untimely interruptions of an important event on track !!

Fairly intelligent commentary and interviews and relevant and timely replay of events during the race.  The actual video (camera placement, direction and shot selection)  is excellent as well.

That coupled with all of moto2 and moto3 and complete access to all the historical races and other video library ...

For MotoGP its the most bang for the buck ..

For those who want to stick with cable, the link below lists the NBC broadcast times for the various MotoGP and Superbike events. The first broadcast for each series is scheduled for 90 minutes, so it will certainly be abbreviated coverage, as expected. The first Superbike time should be 6 PM EST.

Link:  https://www.reddit.com/r/motogp/comments/eurxfy/nbc_sports_motogp_and_wsbk_schedule_for_2020/

On 2/21/2020 at 9:07 AM, Skywagon said:

I have been subscribing to Video Pass for a few years now.

Me too.

Combine that with an Apple TV and through the magic of WiFi it's on your big screen TV.  Not for a nanosecond did I consider subscribing to a package with one channel that broadcast MotoGP every other week and then ~20 other soccer channels.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It's really too bad beIN Sports lost the broadcast rights.  Otherwise you would have seen American Joe Roberts win pole in Moto2 qualifying.

Personally the best way to watch these two series is to sign up with them and pay their yearly cost. This way you get to watch practice, qualifying, and the races either live or on demand. To me it is the best way and overall probably less costly than beSports or NBC and much better coverage. Just watched Moto# and Moto2 qualifying from Qatar and saw Joe Roberts take pole for the Moto2 race. If you are into AMA Superbike then sign up for their subscription also!

Bill_Walker
On 3/7/2020 at 8:32 AM, 041100S said:

Personally the best way to watch these two series is to sign up with them and pay their yearly cost. This way you get to watch practice, qualifying, and the races either live or on demand. To me it is the best way and overall probably less costly than beSports or NBC and much better coverage. Just watched Moto# and Moto2 qualifying from Qatar and saw Joe Roberts take pole for the Moto2 race. If you are into AMA Superbike then sign up for their subscription also!

Yup.  But maybe not this season.  Due to coronavirus, only Moto2 and Moto3 are racing in Qatar (because the teams were already there for testing and didn't have to come from Italy, where many teams are based), Thailand has been rescheduled to the end of the season, and it ain't looking good for COTA, since Austin is currently banning any events that draw more than 2500 people.  Other races may be canceled for the same reason, depending on how long the outbreak lasts.

On 3/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, Bill_Walker said:

Yup.  But maybe not this season.  Due to coronavirus, only Moto2 and Moto3 are racing in Qatar (because the teams were already there for testing and didn't have to come from Italy, where many teams are based), Thailand has been rescheduled to the end of the season, and it ain't looking good for COTA, since Austin is currently banning any events that draw more than 2500 people.  Other races may be canceled for the same reason, depending on how long the outbreak lasts.

Still have WorldSBK  even if MotoGP is down a little, but still get to watch more through the Video Pass with these and Motoamerica Superbike than any TV coverage and you can watch it on demand and you do not have to take a bunch of channels that you have no interest in. 

Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, 041100S said:

Still have WorldSBK  even if MotoGP is down a little, but still get to watch more through the Video Pass with these and Motoamerica Superbike than any TV coverage and you can watch it on demand and you do not have to take a bunch of channels that you have no interest in. 

No question it's the best way to watch, IF there are races happening.  COTA has now been rescheduled to November.  I'd be willing to bet a bunch of WSBK races will be rescheduled or canceled, too (Qatar already has been).  I think the novel coronavirus outbreak is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

13 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

No question it's the best way to watch, IF there are races happening.  COTA has now been rescheduled to November.  I'd be willing to bet a bunch of WSBK races will be rescheduled or canceled, too (Qatar already has been).  I think the novel coronavirus outbreak is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Looks like it will be a really screwed up season as it all depends on how this virus goes and what all the countries do. Really screws up my enjoyment this year, but is also a bigger pain for all the people it really impacts.

38 minutes ago, 041100S said:

Looks like it will be a really screwed up season as it all depends on how this virus goes and what all the countries do. Really screws up my enjoyment this year, but is also a bigger pain for all the people it really impacts.

One thing Dorna is focused on is to hold races wherever and whenever possible to make sure there is a championship season with at least a minimum of 13 races.   Two of the original 19 have been rescheduled , only one (Losail)  lost .

Doesn't appear that Argentina is a hotbed of coronavirus activity, so the chances of that race being held looks good ... so far.  

But April 19 seems a long way off ... :(

8 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

One thing Dorna is focused on is to hold races wherever and whenever possible to make sure there is a championship season with at least a minimum of 13 races.   Two of the original 19 have been rescheduled , only one (Losail)  lost .

Doesn't appear that Argentina is a hotbed of coronavirus activity, so the chances of that race being held looks good ... so far.  

But April 19 seems a long way off ... :(

Probably depends on where the teams are coming from and several are based in Italy which is now totally quarantined, so who knows how this all turns out. May be that the only races that occur are in Europe. 

20 hours ago, 041100S said:

May be that the only races that occur are in Europe. 

You may be closer to being correct  .... Argentina has now been postponed .... so as of now here is the schedule...but I'd think Mugello and even San Marino would be suspect

1298664370_ScreenShot2020-03-11at2_24_56PM.thumb.png.c900ec33c183c250b509e6053ebf6a1c.png

654542678_ScreenShot2020-03-11at2_25_10PM.thumb.png.86574079758d8afb461bf5687d325f6e.png

1271056553_ScreenShot2020-03-11at2_25_43PM.thumb.png.18edaab0f94084e3d1e86fc74c567919.png

Bill_Walker
1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

so as of now here is the schedule

I'd say this schedule is "aspirational".  They're hoping the pandemic (WHO declared it a pandemic today) will be over with by May.  Hard to say, since we know so little about this virus.  Is it seasonal?  We don't know, as far as I'm aware.  If not, at the rate it's growing, we may be locked down worldwide for months.  

Bill_Walker

Go here https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries and scroll down to the table by country.  Italy added 2313 cases TODAY, Spain added 567, France added 497.  Those are increases in their total number of cases of 20-30% in a single day (and pity poor Qatar, which went from 24 cases to 262 in a single day.  I wonder if they just started testing).  Europe is going to be locked down, and none of the teams will be able to go anywhere, I'd bet.  :cry:

There might not be any season of racing since the number of cases continues to grow and Italy may be the first country to have a full quarantine. Here is the John Hopkins interactive map: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html. Number of cases has increased over 2000 in about 12 hours.

3 hours ago, 041100S said:

Italy may be the first country to have a full quarantine.

US closes closes borders to travel from Europe for 30 days ... appropriately starting Friday the 13th !!

I’m watching good old American flat track (AFT) live on NBC Sports Gold this season. It is PPV but I got in cheap at the end of last season via Fanschoice. So far no races cancelled/rescheduled. 

4 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I’m watching good old American flat track (AFT) live on NBC Sports Gold this season. It is PPV but I got in cheap at the end of last season via Fanschoice. So far no races cancelled/rescheduled. 

Maybe and maybe not as I would hope these events would attract a lot of fans and the local government may take the same stance as Austin, Travis County Texas, did and limit the size of the event. I hope you do get to watch it as I hope I get to watch at least the Motoamerica Superbike racing, but who knows???

The first race is the Daytona TT and Daytona 200 this Saturday. Everyone is pretty much already there for bike week. We’ll see. 

• 3 months later...