IGNORED

A plug for Chris Harris' Patreon channel

Miguel!

I'd imagine every one on this forum is familiar with Chris Harris. He's an independent BMW MC mechanic that has specialized in mostly oilheads. He has a lot of YouTube videos for free. He recently started a paid membership channel for videos on oilhead repair/maintenance on Patreon.com. I think this link will get you to his Patreon channel if you are interested. His next video is about bringing an R1100RT back to life after sitting in a garage for 8 years. 

Best

Miguel

• Like 1

Which sat in the garage for eight years? Chris or the bike?

J/K, I know he's been busy making videos lately :-)  In fact, just the other night I upgraded the left cam chain tensioner on my R1150RT after watching him do it. Piece of cake.

• Haha 1

I just wish he'd stop criticising everything BMW built. A self critique of his filming methods, personal language, and workshop husbandry would be a great place to start...then moan about BMW's designs and manufacturing methods!

• Like 2

Agree Andy. He's no doubt a good mechanic but the "you're stupid for buying a BMW stuff is a turnoff". He's not that blunt about it but it's easy to draw that conclusion. I'm more curious on how he dropped a hundred plus pounds, was he sick or just sick of being overweight? :dontknow:

On 2/20/2020 at 12:37 PM, AndyS said:

My comments in red.

I just wish he'd stop criticising everything BMW built.

Mechanics will have comments/suggestions/complaints for any brand they work on. I think it just goes with the territory. 

A self critique of his filming methods, personal language, and workshop husbandry would be a great place to start...then moan about BMW's designs and manufacturing methods!

Filming methods: I'm just glad he took/takes the time to do it. For the most part, he does do a lot of the filming and work by himself. That makes it hard to optimize camera angles while wrenching and keeping the camera clean.

Personal language: I think you are referring to his swearing. I grew up in New England. Swearing is commonly used to emphasize a point. Its just sounds but I understand if you think it unnecessary. But it doesn't really hurt anyone. 

Workshop husbandry: Personally, it doesn't look that bad to me. Its relatively clean, tools are clean and hanging on the wall and none laying on the floor (that I've spotted), not a lot of junk and other stuff around. We've all seen a lot worse. 

I'm not an apologist for him. Its just my 2 cents. 

Best Miguel

• Like 1

His videos have been greatly appreciated, especially when I did my clutch on my R1100gs.  I'm not sure I would have attempted that in the pre internet days.  He has been a professional BMW mechanic for decades, I'm sure he has to deal with engineering quirks daily that the engineers never have to revisit.  The way a figure it, the man is providing me years of insight free of charge, if I don't like his attitude or language I can move on at any time.                     

• Like 1
On 2/23/2020 at 3:48 AM, SmokinRZ said:

The way a figure it, the man is providing me years of insight free of charge, if I don't like his attitude or language I can move on at any time.                     

True, true.

I did.

On 2/20/2020 at 11:54 AM, TEWKS said:

Agree Andy. He's no doubt a good mechanic but the "you're stupid for buying a BMW stuff is a turnoff". He's not that blunt about it but it's easy to draw that conclusion. I'm more curious on how he dropped a hundred plus pounds, was he sick or just sick of being overweight? :dontknow:

AndyS,

He had health issue's and was off of the grid for about 1 year,  but did not say what it was?  May have been related to being overweight.  

• Like 1

If you compare the 1100/1150 Tupperware with that of the 1200Wethead, you will think it is a dream. I never have issues with the 1150 Tupperware. As for the Battery location, what is the problem with it? How often do you need to get to the battery?

You think a BMW's tupperware is difficult try a '13 and later FJR's tupperware.  I about flipped the time I removed the tupperware on my '10 FJR and then I worked on same on my neighbors '15 FJR.  Grrrrrrr.....  

I agree. The tupperware on an '04 RT is really nice.  It took me about 10 minutes to remove on my '04 RT and maybe 20 minutes to re-install.  I used a Makita.  I kind of miss big blue.  I keep looking at the '99 RT with only 2.6K miles on the MOA flea market.  I think I would like a '99 with its 5 speed trans and non servo ABS and the tupperware wouldn't bother me at all.

• 4 weeks later...

About half the US and many other countries are in lockdown of some sort so most of us are not riding. As such, you may be  looking for something to do. So I thought I'd let you all know what Chris has done so far in restoring the R1100RT on his Patreon channel videos . He shows how to remove the fairing (AKA tupperware), remove the battery, remove the gas tank and the fuel pump and replace the fuel filter. Along the way, he describes how BMW designed subsystems in pretty good detail (like the  fuel system) and built (both the good and bad), disassembly and assembly procedures and his philosophy about replacing some wear items that may be in good shape (such as the o-ring on the fuel pump plate). So far he's produced about 1.5 hours of videos on this bike. Many of the things he shows and describes are likely available other places but the advantage is that you don't have to search for them and his comments are pretty detailed. So far, I'd say his videos are very clear and helpful. If you are familiar with maintaining your own R1100RT, you might know all the things he's shown and talked about so far. But you might learn a few things along the way anyway. These videos are only available to his patrons that subscribe to his channel. He has a few other video as well. I don't know what future videos he has in mind.

While I truly and deeply appreciate the excellent advice offered by so many on this site, Its nice to see videos and hear commentary presented in a tutorial fashion, especially for novices (while I'm pretty handy, I've never been a pro mechanic nor really focused on wrenching as a hobby).  So far, Chris has 63 patrons, including me and at least one other BMWST member, and I'm pretty happy with my choice to be a patron. 

Note: I'm have no association with Chris. I'm just a satisfied patron passing along info to other oilhead owners. 

Cheers and wash your hands!!

Miguel

• Like 2