IGNORED

seat height, again

Rube

I have a 2011 Camhead. Love the bike almost 100%. The ride height is too much for me as I am inseam challenged even at 5'10". I have a factory low seat but the pegs are too high for me with it on and I get uncomfortable after about an hour. The stock seat is much better and the Corbin I have allows me to ride all day. I am worried about dropping the bike even tho I haven't dropped one in about 50 years. I am seriously thinking of a suspension change. I love the ride now and don't want to lose it. My bike is an SE and i hear a suspension change is expensive. What are my options and what should I stay away from?

If your bike has ESA is it set on the lowest (one rider) setting? I can’t begin to help you on suspension changes but I have heard of people having a shoe repair shop add heels and soles to one’s riding boots. One inch could make a lot of difference. And a lot cheaper. I’m 5-11 with 32” inseam. I had an ‘09 RT with a RDL and tippy toed it but my ‘17 RT with RDL is not as tall. Good luck

7 hours ago, Rube said:

I have a 2011 Camhead. Love the bike almost 100%. The ride height is too much for me as I am inseam challenged even at 5'10". I have a factory low seat but the pegs are too high for me with it on and I get uncomfortable after about an hour. The stock seat is much better and the Corbin I have allows me to ride all day. I am worried about dropping the bike even tho I haven't dropped one in about 50 years. I am seriously thinking of a suspension change. I love the ride now and don't want to lose it. My bike is an SE and i hear a suspension change is expensive. What are my options and what should I stay away from?

First, try foot peg lowering kit to ease pressure on the knees:   https://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.html 

i am also 5"10 , 30" inseam the aftermarket seat my 2008 came with was tall, and I was getting comfortable with " one footing it " did a bit of horse trading and got a stock seat and have it on the low position and I can get the balls of both feet down now and two up I can flat foot. I am going to try getting the front of my aftermarket seat narrowed if I don't love the stock seat after a bit, but compared to the sportbikes I have ridden all my life the stock saddle is great. 

DSC_0217.jpg

7 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

What is your inseam? I presume your bike is not the factory lowered version?

30"... I have a stock low seat and don't like the seat or the position in relation to the pegs. (I am 67) It makes my back hurt which is failing as it is. I've got taller boots with the stock seat and again it is the distance from the seat to the pegs that makes it uncomfortable. Lowering the bike looks like the only option but I don't want to change the ride. ESA is great in my opinion and I can change it on the fly depending on the road.

Evening Rube.
Been there done that on a 2010 and 2013 RT.  Had lowered seat and lowered suspension on the 2010.  Could flat foot the bike with a 30.5” inseam.  Also had on that bike both the Suburban lowered footpegs and later Ilium Sportboards.  Leg comfort was good but bits dragged while chasing Bernie and the bike really didn’t handled as well as my 2005; both having Wilbers shocks.  Just seemed like the COG was wrong on the 2010 with the lowered suspension.  
Was not satisfied so with the 2013 chose a different direction.  Stock height Sargents seat and regular height shocks.  Do have to tiptoe but the bike handles better (even with stock shocks instead of Wilburs) and I have the same butt to sole leg comfort.  This on ESA Comfort, One Rider mode.
Another set of Suburban low pegs and I think it will be as comfortable as I can make it.

You may be a candidate for a Wethead.  They are smaller bikes than Hexhead/Camheads  and feature at least three seat options.  There is not a factory low suspension option.

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:27 PM, lkchris said:

You may be a candidate for a Wethead.  They are smaller bikes than Hexhead/Camheads  and feature at least three seat options.  There is not a factory low suspension option.

too much money for me. I sat on one at the dealership. They asked if I wanted to take it for a ride. I said no. I would never be pleased with my bike afterwards.

Hi Rube

I have an 09RT and have a 29" inseam and have had both the Sargent low and now a Corbin one piece low seat on it.  The Corbin lets me get my feet down far enough that I am on the balls of my feet.  I also have the Illium Footboards on it which drop the foot position down some and it came with some barbacks that set the bars back and up a bit  It is about as comfortable as I can get it without going the route of new lower shocks to bring it down even more.

Fortunately for me, where I live is pretty flat so I don't often have to stop on a grade.  I took this bike to the last FART and while all those hills and slopes are great when you are moving,  they aren't much fun stopped while you are trying to keep the bike upright.   I really like this bike once it gets moving and it is great on the higway, but for intown riding,  I'm starting to wonder if something a bit lower would make more sense.   I could buy something else and sell this one, that would probably cost me a grand or two in lost value or I could swap the shocks out for a lower set, probably non-esa, but I dont mess much with the esa settings anyway.  That change would probably run me about 1500 with me doing all the labor.  It might make the bike harder to sell as well, unless someone else who is inseam challenged wanted it.  I haven't heard about any really negative repercussions from lowering the bike though the side stand would have to be changed or modified and the center stand as well unless you ride it up on a board before you put the stand down.  If you are inclined to really leaning into corners at speed, you might scrape pegs a bit more as well.  I don't have that problem.

beemer chuck

I have hyperpro progressive springs on my 2010 art with ESA. Dropped the bike by about 20 mm.

just enough that I can almost flat foot with the low seat on the high setting. I have a 29” inseam and love this setup. Also added the peg lowering kit. Knees really appreciate that. About $250 for spring. Dealer charged $100 to change the springs after the shocks were out. I have done this to 2 other RT’s. I have the standard side stand an a custom shortened main stand. Same shock travel as stock, just sags more under my weight. 

6 hours ago, beemer chuck said:

I have hyperpro progressive springs on my 2010 art with ESA. Dropped the bike by about 20 mm.

just enough that I can almost flat foot with the low seat on the high setting. I have a 29” inseam and love this setup. Also added the peg lowering kit. Knees really appreciate that. About $250 for spring. Dealer charged $100 to change the springs after the shocks were out. I have done this to 2 other RT’s. I have the standard side stand an a custom shortened main stand. Same shock travel as stock, just sags more under my weight. 

Hi Chuck

Did the springs change the ride all that much?   Where did you get them?  

beemer chuck

Slightly stiffer than stock, otherwise still quite comfortable. I believe I bought them from EPM Performance.