IGNORED

What has happen to us?

Whip

John Ranalletta

I'm on the fence.

Part of my brain can't wait for the next event; yet, part of it wonders if riding continues to make sense.  At FART, I had two experiences that raised some doubts.  The first was following another, very good rider over the Cherahola.  I thought I was riding well and in control, doing the riding smart thing; then, my left boot scraped the pavement!  I was leaned too far at speed with Ruth on the back.  Later in the day (or maybe the next day), I was riding last with a group over Wolf Pen Gap when my concentration just failed; so, I slowed to the point where the group slowed, worried we had crashed.  Simple fact was my mind wasn't into riding well and I wasn't enjoying the experience.

Yesterday, we drove to Madison, IN and retraced some of the twisties in the area.  A past favorite is N. Greenbriar Rd, north of Brooksburg.  The asphalt road surface is sketchy and deteriorated.  The road has a really tight,180 left-hander into a 15-20% grade followed by a tight right-hander, same grade.  I've been on this road a half dozen times on the GS with Ruth, but as I looked at it yesterday, I wondered if I'd do it again.  That represents a confidence leak.

image.thumb.png.cb3a5874b3b45bdc6248d8bf0b5acb79.png

Not sure where this ends.  We'll see.

• Thinking 1

I have found this discussion quite interesting, a lot of different stories and perspectives that cover one hell of a large range of experience. It helps me appreciate what I have, and maybe help me accept the inevitable when it happens.

Good luck to everyone.

• Like 2
Yeeha Stephen
55 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

:5146: :5147::4322:
porsche-718-boxster-cayman-t-11-15452291

Many of our "Agers" have diversified their diversities! Seems to be a narrowly equal split 'tween Jeeps, Mustang GT/Shelby, and Porsche 911's!

SS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Can't afford Beluga caviar, but, perhaps, some catfish?

image.png.9ee998a2fae8eb3593d72dbc9cea207f.png

Koi maybe?  Laney & Dennis to the courtesy phone, please.   

Linda and I sat in one at the car show last year. We could barely get in & out!  Not for the osteoarthritic of hip and knee :4322:

Mike C

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe I'm just that "lone BMW" rider type. 

I've been a member here since 2002 and put almost 100,000 miles on my RT before selling it and going "bikeless" back in 2012.  Which lasted a total of about 6 months (also known as winter here in Canada), when I bought a  demo 2013 wethead GS on a whim when on holiday in San Diego.  

I joined BMWST for advice on maintenance, farkles, riding tips, trip planning advice, etc.  It was a great place to learn and bounce ideas off people.  But there were no other local BMWST members so continued to ride with friends.  

My first BMWST member I met in person was Marty Hill when he was on his first trip to Alaska in June 2003.  We rode together for about 500km in the Montana/Canadian Rockies before we parted ways near Mt Robson, BC so I could get back home for work. 

That summer was my first really long trip, but due to time constraints I had to ride down to the Oregon/California border by myself and meet my friends coming north from California.  In typical fashion I included a few "must ride" detours that doubled my distance.   

My first BMWST event was spring Torrey 2004.  Gleno was the next BMWST'er I met, followed by many of the usual (at the time) Torrey attendees (Eebee, KMG , Mama Hoon, Brian T,  Laney, Dick, Arizona Al, Efbee ).  Other than riding into Torrey from SLC with Montana Hoon, I actually spent the whole trip riding by myself.  Recognizing a pattern here?  

Next up was my first UnRally in Cody (July 2004).  Most of the ride in was with Don "Smokey" Schmok and the Energizer Bunny.  But again my time in Cody I was focused on different things and went out riding/hiking/taking photographs myself most days.  Same on the trip home.  

I have since attended UnRallys in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014 & 2018.  Torrey in fall 2007 & spring 2019.  Mostly came/went on my own but sometimes with others.  Sometimes my wife has even come with me! 

Some years I have barely done 5,000 miles.  Most years I do about 20,000 miles.  The last 5 years I have been on motorcycle tours in Africa & South America which have really opened my eyes to 2 wheeled travel overseas.  One was even with Lester V!

Last winter was my first in semi-retirement so I trailered my bikes down to Palm Springs and attended DVD in November.  Great little event!  Hoped for Temecula days last month, but the pandemic shut that down.   

I still try and contribute, but it's mostly with pictures and brief ride tales.  Sometimes it's a month or so between my visits, sometimes a few times a day.  

I still keep in touch with some "retired members" and consider them friends for life.  

As long as my health holds out I will continue to ride, but I certainly see the end of that coming as well. 

Mike Cassidy

• Like 5

Life got in the way.

My daughter followed my same footsteps athletically and she demanded I coach her. So the last decade has been consumed by coaching, track meets, and working overseas from time to time.  We did a good job, she's now running in college and I'm coaching the distance runners at the local high school 😂.  As a coach all of March through the Memorial Day weekend is spoken for. 

With my recent retirement I had hoped this would be the year to return to touring, we know how that is going.

Also, I have always been a solitary traveler. I prefer to have spontaneity rule my travel with a destination loosely planned. The one rider I really enjoyed riding with at distance has hung up his tires.

• Like 1

Mike and Wade, if either of you ever gets near Atlanta please let me know.  Plenty of room at my place and my daughter is a great cook.  Glad to have spent time with both of you!  I'm still riding a little bit, mostly to filter thru traffic on the way to coffee every morning.  No, it isn't legal in ga. but what the hell.

Marty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wade, congratulations on retirement.  The early morning ferry run to Edmonds would seem strange without seeing you. If you visit Marty swing on down to Savannah and we’ll go for a ride and distance run. 

• Like 1
On 4/27/2020 at 5:56 PM, John Ranalletta said:

I'm on the fence.

Part of my brain can't wait for the next event; yet, part of it wonders if riding continues to make sense.  At FART, I had two experiences that raised some doubts.  The first was following another, very good rider over the Cherahola.  I thought I was riding well and in control, doing the riding smart thing; then, my left boot scraped the pavement!  I was leaned too far at speed with Ruth on the back.  Later in the day (or maybe the next day), I was riding last with a group over Wolf Pen Gap when my concentration just failed; so, I slowed to the point where the group slowed, worried we had crashed.  Simple fact was my mind wasn't into riding well and I wasn't enjoying the experience.

Yesterday, we drove to Madison, IN and retraced some of the twisties in the area.  A past favorite is N. Greenbriar Rd, north of Brooksburg.  The asphalt road surface is sketchy and deteriorated.  The road has a really tight,180 left-hander into a 15-20% grade followed by a tight right-hander, same grade.  I've been on this road a half dozen times on the GS with Ruth, but as I looked at it yesterday, I wondered if I'd do it again.  That represents a confidence leak.

John:  Thanks for sharing some very deep and personal thoughts.  I suspect that all riders, as we age, have had the same thoughts...I know I have, and there are some things that I just don't do anymore...and not all are related to riding!  

• Like 1
Colorado Jeff
On 2/18/2020 at 6:13 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Maybe make more of an effort to be welcoming toward the few new folks who do come to such events, so they are motivated to return in the future.

This is an interesting thread.  I have two points to make (for whatever they're worth):

1) to use a quote from Harry Callahan; "A man/woman has to know his/her limitations".  When it's time to hang it up, you'll know.

2) I think Joe Frickin' Friday has a good point, we need to bring new people into this sport, give them good new, fun, exciting and exhilarating experiences so they are motivated. 

I can only speak to my own experience, but my wife and I had been looking forward to attending the "Top O'Rockies Rally" in Paonia, CO that is put together by the "BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado" for years.  We finally attended in 2018.  We parked the bike and headed to the beer tent eagerly looking forward to drinking a few with our fellow beemer riders, to talk about bikes, rides, and tell other lies.  We grabbed a big empty picnic table and waited for someone to join us.  No one did.  I feel like people thought we "owned" the table, so we invited folks to join us.  They did, but also did not.  There was no conversation despite sitting at the same table or our outreach to them.  This happened again and again and again throughout the weekend.  My wife made the observation that; "that there's a lot of people here with a common love, but not a commonality"  

On other notes on the event, there were few vendors attending, so not much to look at or consider buying.  The food on the Saturday night was odd in that the BBQ vendor was giving HUGE plates of meat to start, but then ran out of food with still an hour left for dinner.  His helpers ran out to the store and came back and just started to open packages of food and throwing it on the tables for the attendees.  This included bags of salad that was not washed, just thrown into big bowls (local news has always shown a large percentage of these salad bags contain contagions that are very detrimental to our health like e coli.  Can you imagine riding home on Sunday with that issue?) and the guys taking the meal tickets were talking loudly in a very sexist and Un-PC manner.  This made my wife and I uncomfortable.  I thought it was just three guys being themselves, but later in the evening during the "awards" section, it turns out those guys were the leaders of the club!!! 

Finally, and sorry for the long rant, but there was no outreach after the event.  No polls to collect data on what went well, what went poorly, what needs to be improved next year, no "thanks for attending, hope you attend next year!", no invites for the 2019 event, nothing. Nada.  Zilch.  Not a word from them.  No outreach whatsoever.  We were considering joining the club too, but not now.  Why would we want to join?

• Sad 3

Being retired and getting older by the day, this subject on riding is like the wolf knocking on the door in some ways.  Those loss of concentration moments have happened all my riding years, but kept to a minimum.  You can't afford too many or they will bite you for sure.  I still enjoy riding with the knowledge that it is more dangerous than my younger years due to all the distracted & impaired drivers on the roads.  Hypothetical as my trusty 2006 BMW is still performing like a champ, if I was to purchase a new bike now lower weight might trump more HP in my buying decision.

Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for the motel. My Aerostich didn't come back from the cleaners. Marty came in from out of town. Someone stole my bike. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locus. It wasn't my fault. I swear to god!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
John Ranalletta
7 hours ago, Colorado Jeff said:

This is an interesting thread.  I have two points to make (for whatever they're worth):

1) to use a quote from Harry Callahan; "A man/woman has to know his/her limitations".  When it's time to hang it up, you'll know.

2) I think Joe Frickin' Friday has a good point, we need to bring new people into this sport, give them good new, fun, exciting and exhilarating experiences so they are motivated. 

I can only speak to my own experience, but my wife and I had been looking forward to attending the "Top O'Rockies Rally" in Paonia, CO that is put together by the "BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado" for years.  We finally attended in 2018.  We parked the bike and headed to the beer tent eagerly looking forward to drinking a few with our fellow beemer riders, to talk about bikes, rides, and tell other lies.  We grabbed a big empty picnic table and waited for someone to join us.  No one did.  I feel like people thought we "owned" the table, so we invited folks to join us.  They did, but also did not.  There was no conversation despite sitting at the same table or our outreach to them.  This happened again and again and again throughout the weekend.  My wife made the observation that; "that there's a lot of people here with a common love, but not a commonality"  

On other notes on the event, there were few vendors attending, so not much to look at or consider buying.  The food on the Saturday night was odd in that the BBQ vendor was giving HUGE plates of meat to start, but then ran out of food with still an hour left for dinner.  His helpers ran out to the store and came back and just started to open packages of food and throwing it on the tables for the attendees.  This included bags of salad that was not washed, just thrown into big bowls (local news has always shown a large percentage of these salad bags contain contagions that are very detrimental to our health like e coli.  Can you imagine riding home on Sunday with that issue?) and the guys taking the meal tickets were talking loudly in a very sexist and Un-PC manner.  This made my wife and I uncomfortable.  I thought it was just three guys being themselves, but later in the evening during the "awards" section, it turns out those guys were the leaders of the club!!! 

Finally, and sorry for the long rant, but there was no outreach after the event.  No polls to collect data on what went well, what went poorly, what needs to be improved next year, no "thanks for attending, hope you attend next year!", no invites for the 2019 event, nothing. Nada.  Zilch.  Not a word from them.  No outreach whatsoever.  We were considering joining the club too, but not now.  Why would we want to join?

Your experience echoes ours when attending the first Indianapolis BMW club at the local dealer.  We entered not knowing anyone.  We left after an hour in which no one greeted or talked to us.  We tried to spark conversations to no avail.  Our board events can be the same.  We tend to have cliques (SEC, midwest, etc.) and not intermingle much.  I invited a friend to FART and made sure to introduce him to as many riders as I know.

My first m/c was a 650 metric cruiser.  We attended a rally in AR.  It was lots more social.  Less real riding, but more social.

lawnchairboy

I really enjoy meeting all you folks.  There are many I have not met outside of virtually.   Let’s see:  Marty has slept here (far from an exclusive club :) ), EL P’s UNs all over, BRR’s and ARTs RCRs, RideSmart, CSS with proprietor emeritus, and many individual rides with Bill Ferran, Matt and Steve, Bernie, Ken, Whip,  Eddd, Tewks, Big-T, Shawn, Chris K, Alan, my clampett family.   I will be eternally in Bill F,s debt for showing me colorado, I will retire there.  Watching a camel being mouth fed carrots by Calvin was a highlight at one of the couple of Torreys I managed to get to.  Chasing AZAL and a line of 8 RTs from Torrey to Hanksville is particularly vivid, as is riding with Richard at fish lake one spring and coming around a hot corner to a 2 foot corner snowbank.  Jaime and mamma Hoon  cooking a post 50cc breakfast for me in SD.  Ken I. is a huge loss to this group in the ‘Southeast division’I got to ride with OLDFRT one time, used to visit him at the dealer in MD while I was in grad school.  i could fill pages.  

time is my biggest rate limiting factor Presently.  I also just have a hard time ripping off the 500-700 mile days I once did.   I hope to go and keep meeting you folks wherever and whenever possible.  more than a few of The people I have met here are in my life on a daily basis to the present.  I am supremely grateful.  

see you soon I hope. Whenever the current madness passes and I can get out there.  

32F9ECE4-6748-4F22-942E-931C5EF69FB3.jpeg

• Like 6
Yeeha Stephen
On 2/18/2020 at 7:13 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

...it wasn't just a particular brand, or a particular model, it was the '96-'01 BMW R1100RT that got this place rolling.  Tech Daze events sprung up to teach people how to work on these bikes, we talked on the site about how to deal with common and uncommon mechanical problems.  And we all had the exact same bike, so we all could help and be helped with the same information.  I think that commonality helped to bind us a lot.  

These days, we're dealing with several different models of BMW bikes from many different generations.  It's sort of like a foodie website that used to be dominated by members who were brought together by an extreme passion for spaghetti bolognese, but now it's populated by people who just like Italian food a lot....

If the above article is right, then there are fewer new sport-touring riders than there were 20 years ago, which means if we want to keep the fires stoked around here, we have to find a way to attract a larger share of them.... Maybe make more of an effort to be welcoming toward the few new folks who do come to such events, so they are motivated to return in the future.

One of the main goals of our local club is to attract newer,  younger folks to the fold. We have a local dealer that's younger and is a bike enthusiast. His help is bringing in new people and in return we sing his praises to help his business. 

Something usually unheard of, this dealer has opened up his service dept. once a year to host our club's Tech Day. Yes we are allowed to use all the lifts and tire machines, etc...

One odd thing is the younger crowds growing fascination with the Air-Head BMWs. Not to let an opportunity get away, we have welcomed them with open arms and our tech days include Air-Heads now. The younger guys are dumbfounded by some of the older guys knowledge of the Air-Heads.

Another one of the attractions for the younger riders joining our ranks is the splinter group we have within. We have a fairly good dirt/dual sport contingent in our "BMW" club. Mostly Yamaha WR250 and KTM650 riders, but a few new riders have come around to the GS and have started joining in our pavement and overnighter rides.

There is hope.... I hope!

SS 

• Like 3
Yeeha Stephen
On 2/18/2020 at 7:13 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Edited by Yeeha Stephen
hANNAbONE
On 4/27/2020 at 6:56 PM, John Ranalletta said:

I'm on the fence.

John :

I've ridden that road many times myself...most recently 1/2 week ago on a (*finally*) non-wet afternoon.

I live right up the road from there in Versailles.

I've never been 2-up on it, as it can be a handful with only the pilot.

There are many roads that lead from 50 southeast towards the river and they seem always chewed up and "multi-level"...

to the tune of staying on or near the double yellow. Holding speed isn't that comfortable when you are trying to simply pick your line and hold it,

let alone oncoming traffic.

I know what you mean.

John Ranalletta
4 hours ago, hANNAbONE said:

I've ridden that road many times myself...most recently 1/2 week ago on a (*finally*) non-wet afternoon.

I live right up the road from there in Versailles.

I've never been 2-up on it, as it can be a handful with only the pilot.

There are many roads that lead from 50 southeast towards the river and they seem always chewed up and "multi-level"...

to the tune of staying on or near the double yellow. Holding speed isn't that comfortable when you are trying to simply pick your line and hold it,

let alone oncoming traffic.

I know what you mean.

Drove through Versailles on the way home.  Thought about you living there.  I"ll shout out the next time.  

I enjoy Cave Hill Road from Versailles to Friendship.  250 from Seymour to 7 can be fun, too.

hANNAbONE
On 5/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Drove through Versailles on the way home.  Thought about you living there.  I"ll shout out the next time.  

I enjoy Cave Hill Road from Versailles to Friendship.  250 from Seymour to 7 can be fun, too.

Yes & Yes.!!

Cave Hill is good along with the roads out of Friendship. Anything near Dillsboro and towards the river is decent, albeit, the roads are in sometimes fair/poor condition.

• 1 year later...

"Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."
~~ Allen Saunders

;-)

Blessings on your path.  <3

• Like 3
17 hours ago, KMG_365 said:

"Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans."
~~ Allen Saunders

;-)

Blessings on your path.  <3

That definitely rings true.  Its also easy to forget that there is a difference between closing a chapter and closing a book. There can be a next thing, a next perspective, a next culture, all adding to the same story. What was was great, but what is is better. 

J

Many good BMWST memories. Perhaps the highlight was when some West Coast pied pipers came east and picked up others along the way and ended up at our house for a couple of nights. Nancy had as much fun as I did. A mini-tech day, home made ice cream, good food and better company.

I feel honored to have had the experience.

I planned to be at Driftless but instead we are going to be in Colorado celebrating our son's 52nd birthday (how that happened I still don't understand).

Ride Well 

• Like 1
chrisolson
42 minutes ago, Bud said:

I planned to be at Driftless but instead we are going to be in Colorado celebrating our son's 52nd birthday (how that happened I still don't understand).

That ought to be in "You know you're getting old when" ..... :5150:

From a perspective where my daughter is also old enough to elicit ... "on your birthday you'll be what ....  ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?    No way ..... "  

But back to thread ... yes many great memories of rides and friendships made over the years specifically because of this place.  :5188:

But times and circumstances (and age) creep up on all of us to change our availability to continue to ride in our best BMWST Sport Touring fashion for long distance gatherings or adventures.

• Like 1
On 5/18/2021 at 10:40 PM, chrisolson said:

Hardly :cool:

Possibly an appropriate quote from Samuel Clemens would be in order ....

Does that mean the that the reports of the death of this site have been greatly exaggerated?

chrisolson
1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Does that mean the that the reports of the death of this site have been greatly exaggerated?

:5188:  exactly !!

In the last 4 and 1/2  months we've grown by almost 400 new members.  For all of 2020 , we averaged around 70 new members each month

I think for a site that does no self promotion anywhere and  supports what has to be  a niche market, even within the motorcycling community ... that's not bad.

• Like 4

Seems like a lot of the BMWST site events are packed with adventure bikes. :dontknow: Maybe, they be here...:5146: :4323:

Francois_Dumas

As a 'dormant' admin, I see the daily new registrations, so no, not dead. 

At the same time I wonder what all the new members are doing...... Sadly getting older, getting depressed by the Covid attack, and not riding much anymore, I also am not on most of my favorite forums anymore either. And Rich's Senior Motorcyclists group on Farcebook is somehow more interesting in this phase of my life. 

Must remember to log in a little more often and see what everybody is doing. With all those new members, there must be something of interest!! 😊😊

chrisolson
4 hours ago, Francois_Dumas said:

Must remember to log in a little more often and see what everybody is doing.

:wave:

• Smile 1
Yeeha Stephen
On 4/30/2020 at 9:29 AM, Colorado Jeff said:

no invites for the 2019 event, nothing. Nada.  Zilch.  Not a word...

Sorry you hit the TOR on such a down year. It has made more of a comeback recently.

Give it another try this year!

Look for "Yeeha Stephen"  making another appearance. 

(Kinda with a heavy heart since we lost Arizona Al... used to hook up with him every year at TOR)

SS

• 1 month later...

I had Arizona Al make me three or four pairs of earplugs over a number of years. He had some great stories.  It's true life moves on but I made many lifetime memories with the RT crowd. I was pleased they let a lowly R1150R rider hang out with them all those years.

• 1 month later...

Over the many years, I missed out on so much!  Rides, gatherings, tech daze—FART, SART, North meets South in California, Torrey.  I’d read about the plans and view with envy the ride reports, all while living without my bike.

I was busy being a father during all this time, and as rewarding as that is, it also called for uncompromising sacrifices, especially since I have 3 daughters.  They don’t care about motorcycles and hooning and farkles and…

But, today I celebrate as the happiest father on earth!  All three of my daughters graduated within a month of each other, the two oldest from college and the youngest from high school.

(Right) My oldest is now a part of the Simmons University admissions team

(Left) Middle daughter literally just landed in London, England, this very morning, for graduate school.

(Center) Youngest just started her freshman year at Cornell University.

I couldn’t be more proud of each of them!  So yeah, kinda hurt, but worth the sacrifice.

38F2801B-E1F7-4912-8C10-ED78B05EF282.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

I am a very proud papa!

Strange how it all unfolded, though.  While we often had serious discussions about big issues in life, I mostly made it a point to have fun.  I’d be at all their school and sports events, of course, but I loved taking them on walks and hikes and to parks and we’d stay up late every weekend watching cartoons and so forth.

Next thing I knew, no more school sports or cartoons, and now school awards and honors, then scholarships and acceptance letters and boom!  They’re gone.

07880F2D-5A1A-4060-8C01-74ACBC9C9174.jpeg

• Like 9
13 hours ago, beemerman2k said:

then scholarships and acceptance letters and boom!  They’re gone.

Give them a few years then start hounding them for Grandkids :)

Congrats James, you’ve done well. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1

James, 

A word of warning to you:  You and your wife are NOT, and can NEVER BE ready for the last one to go off to school.  It was the worst day of my life, completely caught me unaware, totally unprepared.

20 something years ago our 2nd and our last, our daughter, my soul mate, my shining star, got herself accepted to Emory at Oxford near Covington, Ga, about an hour east of here.  The wife was teaching school, could not go and asked me if I would take her.  "Sure!!  No problem!!".  The day came, the daughter and I loaded up the car with all her clothes, etc, and set off early. 

The commencement ceremonies lasted all morning and thru lunch.  After that we got everything moved in and set up in her room.  Walking out to the car it hit me:  IT'S OVER.  Then seeing her standing on the curb waving goodby in my rearview mirror was just too much, and the road back was way too short.  Don't even know how I made it.

ENJOY EVERY MINUTE YOU CAN WITH THEM.  And get ready.  Try to.

Download  This Wedding Day by Jerry Jeff Walker and try to keep a dry eye as you do a father daughter dance at her wedding.  Will jerk a tear from a glass eye.  The youtube live version sucks...go ahead and spend the .99 to get a real copy.  You see her slipping away, yet building the life you hope she would.  It reminds me of why we were put on this earth.

Beemer2...Your kids didn't get there all by themselves.  You have obviously been a tremendous inspiration to them.  Good on you!

• Like 2