IGNORED

Puke tank

Super Sabre

Hey Guy's and Gals. Does anyone know much about the crankcase vent system on these bikes? I know they all smoke if left on side stand but I'm thinking mines excessive. I will tell you it cleared up nicely after riding for awhile so that made me think of my Honda Magna which has a puke tank to collect oil residue from crankcase vent system. Sometimes they would get saturated and need cleaning. Anything like that on k bikes? Thanks.

On top of the engine there is a hose/manifold that connects/vents the crankcase directly into the throttle bodies. 

When I purchase mine I found that the/a previous owner had capped the throttle body ports and instead run a hose from the crank out the back of the bike. I discovered this because, riding the bike from Vegas to Portland, the rear ended was covered in oil spray. I suspect the bike had been serviced and overfilled with oil causing a bunch to blow out. Anyway - to temporarily solve this I added a catch bottle to the hose and collected several tablespoons of oil/evap before putting the correct hose back in place. I had some smoke after that, but not an excessive amount. 

Edit to add:

In googling to try to find you a good thread about this I happened to find

mine, which I’d forgotten about entirely. It has a parts pic of the system in question. I’ll link it below, but try your own search for k1200lt crankcase breather (or vent) and you’ll get lots of good info on options. 

I do now recall that I ended up replacing all the (very short) throttle body tubes and several o-rings as well. 

Thanks', I will check that but I don't think its been modded. My brother had it before me and said it just started getting worse. Maybe the entire vent system needs some TLC. I don't think it's engine related as it only has 34k on it and runs like a top. I highly suspect then pcv system. I need to learn all I can before I tear into it. Maybe a good maintenance manual?

I've had good luck with the Clymer manuals for the boxer bikes, but I never bothered to get one for the LT (I lazily relied on the internet which always seemed to have what I needed - though, other than FD issues likely brought on by the excessive weight of our sidecar rig, I had very few issues in my 40k+ miles of ownership).

Oh, and I wasn't suggesting yours had been modded - I just rambled on into a digression there. I would imagine, unless it was replaced already, the vent hose/manifold on yours is probably due for replacement. It sits atop the engine in a place that doesn't get much airflow, so I'm sure it gets really hot, and it's now twenty years old to boot.

Assuming you’re doing a full service including the air filter, you’re in there most of the way already. I understand it’s possible to replace the vent hose without removing the airbox, but I’d only try that if I didn’t want to wait until I was changing the air filter anyway...

Well one thing became glaringly obvious. The gas is very old stinks like varnish. I've been freshening it up as I burn it. I'm not sure how much smoke that's causing but it sure does stink. I probably ought to purge it but I'm hoping a couple of tanks will clear it up. Anyways it does start and run good.

Well, as long as you’re taking the tank off to get to that vent hose you could replace the in-tank fuel filter and the flexible hoses and such - great fun to be had! ;)