IGNORED

New K1200GT- Thoughts?

Flash1034

Im really liking the looks of the new K1200GT. 45 more horsepower, etc. Is there some reason I shouldnt think about trading in my 2005 RT and getting the new GT? Does the RT have any advantages over the GT Im not aware of?

Some people myight prefer the 'character' of the boxer vs. an inline motor. But the new GT does sure look like a winner.

If I did not know my 100,000 plus mile R1100RT inside out, have it set up the way I like it, I would be looking very hard at that bike.

I was wondering the same thing...so I ask my friends at Rhinewest...I was told...if your in Alaska on the side of the road and have a problem on the RT call me ...tell what happen and I can send you a package with tools you'll need and any parts that are necessary....and then he said he could talk me through the repairs process........With the GT I'm on my own...it's too complicated to fix on the side of the road...without a lot of tools and experience...

Whip

BTW.....I still may buy the GT.....I love HP's

It looks like a great bike. If you want it and can afford it go for it. I would suggest waiting until you can get a test ride to see if the bike suits you.

Im really liking the looks of the new K1200GT. 45 more horsepower, etc. Is there some reason I shouldnt think about trading in my 2005 RT and getting the new GT? Does the RT have any advantages over the GT Im not aware of?

The bikes are hitting the dealers as we speak... clap.gif

Many prospective owners across the country, myself included, have recieved calls indicating the invoices are in and bikes should arrive within 2-3 days.

Ride reports should appear soon. Mine, unfortunately, will be tied up for at least a week - its the first one at my dealer and it will be on display for a few days before it goes home.

Ride reports should appear soon. Mine, unfortunately, will be tied up for at least a week - its the first one at my dealer and it will be on display for a few days before it goes home.
Just curious, did you test ride a GT before you bought it?

did you test ride a GT before you bought
Nope ... totally on faith blush.gif But then, what's life without calculated risk?

There were only a few selected events around the country that the pre-production bikes were offered for demo's and those were overwhelmed with response - many gave up on the long lines and few actually had an opportunity to ride.

From what I've read, but can't confirm, is most dealers are only getting 1- 3 bikes now with an uncertain time frame of replacement stock.

Consequently since most of these are spoken for, I don't think there will be any available to test ride for a while.

Does the RT have any advantages over the GT Im not aware of?
Well, in my opinion here is what I think the RT's advantages are. The RT list is $1,750 cheaper than the GT. According to BMW's own claims the RT is 40 pounds lighter. The RT carries more fuel, 7.1 vs. 6.3 gallons. I routinely go over 300 miles on a tank of fuel. For me the biggie is maintenance. I can adjust the valves on my RT without special tools and I can do it easily. With the GT the vast majority of riders will have to take their GT to a dealer for service. The last time my RT saw a dealer it was for the 600 miles service 16,000 miles and one year ago. So I guess the real question you have to ask yourself is how much 42 more horsepower is worth. Given the fact that speed limits in the US are still no higher than 75 mph I don't see a real need for a motorcycle that will do more than 140 let alone the 150+ of the GT. But that's just me. grin.gif

So I guess the real question you have to ask yourself is how much 42 more horsepower is worth
Sounds like something Dirty Harry would say grin.gif

Sometimes its not about the money... But, for the record, more HP sure was a major factor in my decision.

Just curious, did you test ride a GT before you bought it?

At Lonestar BMW in Austin it really isn't much of a risk....$100 refundable deposit will put your name on one....if you don't like it don't take it home.....

BTW..my $100 is on a Blue one with light grey panels...

Whip

It looks like a great bike. If you want it and can afford it go for it. I would suggest waiting until you can get a test ride to see if the bike suits you.

...which (lucky me!) I will be doing tomorrow afternoon at 16:00h.

BMW test ride days! Hope it doesn't rain!!

Bob.

Flash

I too have an '05 RT and I'm faced with the same dilemma. My thoughts....

RT Advantages:

1. More comfortable ergos

2. Better wind/weather protection

3. Boxer twin is better suited to touring (less "buzzy" vibration than in-line four)

4. Shorter wheelbase = more flickable handling

5. More accessories (i.e. radio/CD)

6. Better fuel economy

7. Longer list of aftermarket goodies

8. Better low and mid-range torque

9. You already OWN it!!

There is another thing which may be more psychological. Every now and then, someone will post a message talking about the RT's surprising speed in the twisties/how they smoked some squid on their rice rocket/how a Duc pilot high-fived them for speed thru the mountain pass/etc. No-one expects the RT to be a road burner, but it's a dark horse: while the guy on his CBR1000RR is struggling and worrying (knowing that people EXPECT him to be fast), you're chillin', listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons while you calmly overtake him on the inside! Exaggerations aside; you can ride the RT quickly with raising a sweat.

Having said all that, there's someting pretty intoxicating about a super-revvy four that pumps out 150 bhp. Vroom! grin.gif

Hey Paul

1.We don't know about the ergos

2.We don't know about the wind protection and there's always Cee Bailey's.

3.The RT is more buzzy than any in line 4 I've ever ridden.

4.The GT may be more stable at high speed(The euro Mags say so)

5.The radio on the RT is junk.

6.How much better??????

7.I need some example of something I may want that I can put on a GT.

8.45 horsepower will make up for any shortage in torque...and you wouldn't have to downshift to pass...or use fifth gear under 70 mph because the RT feels lugged in sixth gear below 70mph.

9.Ya got me there

It will be tough to trade the RT for a GT...18,000 miles in

8 months and no trouble...just fun and travels...

Whip

RE: RT advantages

1. Possibly - but most likely can be adapted

2. Maybe

3. Ditto Whip's comment

4. Didn't have too much problem keeping up at THC on an LT = 2.3" longer than the GT!

5. Don't need

6. Maybe but by how much? Most likely depends on the right wrist!

7. For now

8. Haven't seen the curves but Max torque LT = 86 @ 5250, RT = 85 @ 6000 GT = 96 @ 7750

9. So I have equity grin.gif

All in fun ... its a gamble yet to be confirmed.

Haven't test ridden it yet, but (personally) on aesthetics alone the RT is a better looking bike and I can't imgaine having to use the extra hp.

Whip and Chris

I'm not suggesting you missed the point of my post, but the point I was trying to make was this: even if you can come up with a long list of logical and rational reasons to keep the RT, there's something about having 150 horsepower that kills any other argument! Nuff said. thumbsup.gif

This is the first bike to distract me from wanting the Duc ST. However, much like the Duc I wouldn't give up my RT for it. I just want 'em both. grin.gif

Well I have gone from a 1200RT to a new 1200GT(two weeks ago).

1. The GT is more comfortable for me. I run the bars at the lowest setting, lean forward and take the weight off the base of my spine. Did my first 300 mile run yesterday and came off feeling far better than I did on the RT.

2. My arms are more exposed but with the higher screen there is less buffeting than the RT. The screen does not wobble about either.

3. The GT is very smooth(much smoother than my RT) but I have only run up to 6000RPM so far as it is new. That is still well over 100MPH.

4. The hossack front end makes it feel much more plantable in a corner, just aim and go for it. I feel more in control than on the RT.

5. I don't do accessories, I prefer to be plain but there seems to be plenty of factory options.

6. I am getting 50 miles per British gallon but I am still breaking in. Got about 230 miles before the low fuel warning light came on which should be good for another 40 or so.

7. Aftermarket stuff is already appearing. Some from other Ks can be used.

8. The GT has more torque low down and elsewhere than the RT. Seriously more. You can run all day in top and you only need to change down under 15MPH. It will still take off faster in top than the RT did mixing it through the gears.

9. I owned the RT and it is a fine bike. It was just a bit breathless and always felt strained and slightly agricultural to me. I have had four boxers in the past (R100RT, R850RT, R1150RT and R1200RT) and I miss nothing about them now.

As you can see I have paid my money and I am very happy. I thought the RT was good but this is a far better bike for me and it is easier to ride. If the GT was not available I would have stuck with the RT but things change and I would not want to go back now. I am just having so much fun.

Tom

MooreDriven

Tommac,

Congrats on the new GT. Before buying my RT, I test drove an '03 GT. I am sure there are a few differences between the two. Being 6'4", I felt a bit cramped compared to the RT.

I am sure the engine outperforms at all levels. I loved the response of the GT I test drove. But in the end, it came down to comfort on the bike. I would still like to test ride the new GT. It looks awesome.

Tommac

Thanks for info. You've got me salivating now. I'm number 8 on the list at the Las Vegas dealer. It seems one of the GTs will be in this week. All those points I made before, forget 'em!!

MooreDriven

Quint,

Trading in the RT already? Or adding to your collection?

As much as I would like the GT engine, I really like the RT's ergo's and handeling.

Dale

Dale

Thanks for the question. I went for a ride up Mt Charleston today on the RT, and it just amazes me how versatile it is. Very comfortable droning along the freeway at 80mph, and then - BAM - flicks into sports-bike mode when we hit the twisties. I was fanging it today with my buddy, who has an R1150RT, and I doubt many people would have been able to keep up. All this, comfortable ergos, and 44.5mpg mileage averaged over the past 3,000 miles of seriously fast cruising and hard riding.

While I love the power delivery of an in-line four, I rarely use all the power on the RT as it is, and I have certainly overtaken 'Busas, FZ1's, R6's and FJR1300's (and other performance machines) when the road gets curvy.

"While I love the power delivery of an in-line four, I rarely use all the power on the RT as it is, and I have certainly overtaken 'Busas, FZ1's, R6's and FJR1300's (and other performance machines) when the road gets curvy. "

This is so much a statement of your skills as a rider than it is about the bike because everything else being equal, and no offense to the RT, but any one of those bikes would obliterate an RT under any circumstances, including the twisties, except for touring. Not to rain on your parade just trying to shed some perspective. Different machines do different things. I love the Triumph Speed Triple after demo riding one, but it is not near the all arounder that my ST is, and I can afford only one bike.

The power/rate ratio on the Triple is superior in every way to my ST, but the ST is no slouch, in anyway, under any circumstance. Different machines is all.

I just took one out for a 50 km test ride last Saturday. I LOVE it! Turbine-smooth, fast, and lots of real low-end grunt. On the highway it is really solid. I want one!

Bob.

I am sure the new GT is a great bike but it holds very little interest for me at this point. In fact I have basically become addicted to the feel of the boxer twin. When I ride a four cylinder bike it just doesn't feel "right" to me regardless of how smooth or how much power it makes. Maybe in a few years that will change but at this point the RT suits me perfectly.

BamaRider

I want one.

But I also love the 2 bikes I have now. Each do the samething in a distinctly different way, why I enjoy owning and ridding them.

I'd consider adding it to the garage when I get the RT paid for, but I don't see replacing either with the GT.

FWIW, a few of minor comparison points, IMHO, YMMV:

1) I like the KGT bar-mounted mirrors better than the down in the fairing mirrors of the RT.

2) The GT looks like it will be easier, at least somewhat, to clean than the 12RT.

3) I've never been happy with the on-off throttle jerkiness of my RT. You can be smooth with it, but only if you're very careful. Who knows if that has to do with the fuel injection or the driveline, but the K1200R I rode was much easier to ride smoothly. That's a little odd, since several moto publications have been critical of exactly that jerkiness in the new K bikes, but there you go. Maybe the difference was the indivdual bikes, or just my perception of same.

4) Speaking of the K1200R, that motor felt like it had every bit of the RT's power in each gear with about two-thirds throttle. After that, MAMA MIA! While the GT will be tuned differently, it's still the same engine. Of course nobody really NEEDS that power, but a big handful of that throttle is about the biggest thrill you can get. without a bungee cord or taking your pants off.

5) Personally, I really dig the sound of the new K motor. While it sounds like a sewing machine at idle, when you start moving, yummmmmy!

6) Haven't watched the K part of bmwst, but would I be correct to guess that the new K motor doesn't burn oil like the boxers do so commonly?

I love my RT for what it does well - cruise down the road with great range and safety. But the only thing that's keeping me from trading it for the GT is my piggish and extravagant desires to buy a dirt bike and something light and sporty.

Incidentally, yesterday I rode a Ducati ST3s - with the Ohlins shock and the ABS. While a good 12RT rider may be able to keep up with, say, the ST3s ridden by a lesser rider, the ST3s handles way, way, better than the 12RT. It 's so light and flickable, and has that sound that I never thought I'd give a crap about but somehow...I...dooooo. blush.gif

Also, the Duc's tranny was smoother, as were the very powerful brakes - with no hydraulic assist.

One drawback was I don't think I could do an iron butt ride with the low bar ergos.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic.

Archived