IGNORED

BMW maintenance DVD question

Rockosmith

I just recently purchased the DVD maintenance manual.  Can I or should I copy it over to my hard drive?  It seems like this is the only way to get revisions and updates.

5 minutes ago, Rockosmith said:

I just recently purchased the DVD maintenance manual.  Can I or should I copy it over to my hard drive?  It seems like this is the only way to get revisions and updates.

Afternoon Rockosmith

If you have the room on your hard drive & can copy it over without errors then that is the best way to have access to it. 

Once you copy it to your HD  make a shortcut to the Executable so you can easily access it.

Not everyone can copy the DVD over to their  HD & get it to work correctly as a lot of newer computer DVD players have ant-pirate firmware built in that prevents copying protected DVD's. 

To piggy-back this question, because I was thinking of ordering one and had the same question but also this one:

Is the DVD just a series of folders/files or is there software that it runs? My house is mac-only (not on purpose - just the way it is) so I was wondering if that would be an issue.

12 hours ago, szurszewski said:

To piggy-back this question, because I was thinking of ordering one and had the same question but also this one:

Is the DVD just a series of folders/files or is there software that it runs? My house is mac-only (not on purpose - just the way it is) so I was wondering if that would be an issue.

You don't have to worry about doing the copying manually.  You will find that there is a feature, I think under "Repair Manual Update" (or something like that) that will do it for you.  The only issue that you needs to be aware of is that it will NOT tell you where on the hard drive it had made that installation, NOR does it create a shortcut for you!  So, you will have to go and look for the folder and then create the shortcut to the executable yourself.

The copy protection of the DVD is controlled online, where the activation is done.  Nowadays, the copy protection have been changed from the earlier limit of installation on just 6 computers to the present unlimited.

It's handy to be able to run the program off your hard drive as well as from the DVD, since when you run from the DVD you will get the data as released when the DVD was made, while running off your hard drive (assuming that you have done the updates on regular basis) you will be able to compare the changes that BMW have made to their requirements.  FD oil is one example that I can think of.  The one called out on the DVD is the one that had been called out for many years, while the latest FD call out is very much more generic.

Not sure that it will run on IOS!

Thanks for the responses.  I saw the “Repair Manual Update” and thought it might copy over to the hard drive.  Will try later today.

I bought the DVD through a dealer, and installed it on my Win10 PC.  Then, I ran the update procedure.  The result is a nested set of folders on my PC having multiple executable applications.  It is not clear which of them actually starts the updated application.  So, I usually end up fussing with it for a few minutes to get it to start.

The manual has a wealth of useful information and good diagrams.  But in my opinion, it is maddeningly difficult to find what you want.  There is a search feature that will either produce zero results or too many.  And the search results are not presented with text labels of their content, but rather as chapter and page numbers.  I discovered that if I dwell the cursor on the search results, there is a pop-up label with a brief description of what is covered on that page.

Each time I use the digital manual, I come away cursing it, and only sometimes satisfied that I eventually found what I was looking for.  For example, I was recently searching for the procedures and torque specs for replacing my front brake rotors.  Nothing found searching on "rotor."  Searching on "Brake" or "disc" produces a huge list of results.  Combining search terms produces zero results.  Arrghh.  

Each time I use it, I decide that I need to systematically go through each chapter and make a manual index of the titles and content of the chapters.  But I never do that, because of the time involved.  And then the next time I use it, I curse again because I didn't create the index!

I am amused that the digital BMW service manual is just like our motorcycles themselves: complex, challenging, and usually but not always rewarding of dedicated effort.

Cap

Cap - the executable to run is the Repair_Manuals.exe in the top most folder.  When you run it, it will run as if you were running from the DVD, but you don't need to have the DVD in the drive.  Go to the Repair Manual Update section, and now you will be able to select and do the update(s).

My bike is due for a 24,000 Miles service.  Can someone here tell me what is involved with this service and usually how much would cost me?  I do my brake flush myself and that saves me 100 bucks. 

Thanks,

Alex