IGNORED

Oil quantity in Owners Manual

Bill Whorley

Bill - if you were lucky, you got BOTH of the manuals for your bike.  The Rider's Manual (Owners manual) and the Service and Technical Booklet, which is where the page pictured above is found.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I finally found it under “Technical data” and it says 4L with a filter change or 1.1 gallons.  Finished the job, went well but the sight glass is completely covered???  I drained the crankcase hot but don’t know how much trapped oil, if any, remained.  Will check again after short ride.

Ride it till you get 3 or more bars on the oil temp gauge, then let it set on the center stand for about 5 mins or so then take a gander at the sight glass.

12 minutes ago, Joe Coastie said:

Ride it till you get 3 or more bars on the oil temp gauge, then let it set on the center stand for about 5 mins or so then take a gander at the sight glass.

Here we go... ride it until at operating temperature, let it sit on the side stand for about 5 minutes and then put it on the center stand and check the sight glass. I would follow the page pictured here and fill with no more than 3.75 liters.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Michaelr11 said:

Here we go... ride it until at operating temperature, let it sit on the side stand for about 5 minutes and then put it on the center stand and check the sight glass. I would follow the page pictured here and fill with no more than 3.75 liters.

Michael is correct. Another way is if on the side stand you see oil in the sight glass...go ride. 

12 hours ago, Bill Whorley said:

Thanks guys, I finally found it under “Technical data” and it says 4L with a filter change or 1.1 gallons.  Finished the job, went well but the sight glass is completely covered???  I drained the crankcase hot but don’t know how much trapped oil, if any, remained.  Will check again after short ride.

Morning Bill 

What are you working on?  You are posting in the oilhead forum here. (we need to know what motorcycle  you are working with to give you credible info)

Most oilhead engines (1100/1150) hold 3.75 liters with filter. 

If your manual says 4 liters then it sounds more like you are working with a 1200 bike. 

• Like 2

There is a difference between "capacity", and recommended amount of oil to add.

Much easier to add and top off than to remove, IMO.

Best wishes.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:27 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning Bill 

What are you working on?  You are posting in the oilhead forum here. (we need to know what motorcycle  you are working with to give you credible info)

If your manual says 4 liters then it sounds more like you are working with a 1200 bike. 

On 2/8/2020 at 7:13 PM, Bill Whorley said:

On 2/9/2020 at 7:27 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning Bill 

absolutely right!  My bike is a 1200. R1200RT to be exact.  Sorry for the confusion but appreciate the input.