IGNORED

Out And About

Rinkydink

12 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

WTH and why? We don’t need no stinking Earles forks!!

B7C2DDDC-4992-4D04-9B38-80C89E687E9E.jpeg

Pray tell, what do you think the two chrome tubes are for that come off the right tank?

RandyShields

Oh that is funny.  Just letting her accomplish something!  Glad by HS driving instructor showed us the magic 3 point step for successful parallel parking!

The first time I ever parallel parked a car was on my driver's license test.   I performed the manuver perfectly, except the part about not using my turn signal - point deducted for that.   Oh, well.  It was a parking lot with cones, so no traffic approaching from the rear like real-world city driving, which would have made me think to use the indicator.   I think I turned out alright.  :revit:

I've not talked to this many people since the last time I stopped taking my schizophrenic pills!!

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

Hybrid locomotives are of interest for switching duty (assembling/disassembling trains) because they do a lot of starts, stops, and idling.   I recently learned about a Russian diesel/battery hybrid locomotive concept, the TEM5X, with a full-scale mock-up shown here:

image.png.51521c666322969d8f1638b6c31c7275.png

The front of the train was bugging me, and I couldn't figure out why at first:  

image.png.6e5fcccc25544c7cb310890f579a5385.png

Finally I remembered the 2013 Tom Cruise sci-fi movie Oblivion, which featured these murderous flying drones:

image.png.fac638bbd363a011e856aa2b6b23d6e0.png 

It gets even freakier because they are planning to explore the use of machine vision to allow this locomotive to operate semi-autonomously.  Eek.

Joe Frickin' Friday
21 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Weirdly, that video (and this pic) didn't happen during the current gas shortage.  The video happened in Houston in late 2019, and the pic is from an early 2019 incident in which some guys were stealing gasoline in Mexico.  

But it totally would not surprise me if someone was taking bags of gasoline home during the current shortage.  People are getting crazy.

I saw some photos of folks filling whatever they could, but what is really puzzling is what to do with a 300 gallon tote full of regular?  Must be driving a lot of miles to need that much.  I mean, the shortage will only last a few days and a full tank can last me the rest of the week.  Maybe the dude might be selling the gasoline out of his tote for a hefty little profit.  It seems to me that he would be safer slinging drugs; that much gas and somobody is going to want it more that him.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Article:

https://jalopnik.com/florida-driver-packs-hummer-with-gas-cans-and-also-fire-1846887831

TL,DR: guy in a Hummer in Florida fills four 5-gallon cans of gas, puts them in the back of his hummer, and then somehow starts a fire destroying his vehicle and burning himself pretty badly.  

Interestingly, the gas cans themselves didn’t rupture/burn, despite having their exteriors melted.  I guess it was just residual vapors that lit off, and then started the Hummer’s interior burning.

Comically, there was no shortage of gasoline in Florida, so this was an absolutely pointless exercise in self-immolation.

• Like 1