IGNORED

EME 14.5 v Regulator for R1100S

Oldrider51

To Lowndes, back in August, 2019, you stated in a topic that you installed the EME 14.5 v regulator in your 1100S because, if I remember correctly, that you were using an Odyssey PC680 AGM battery. I am in the same position with my 04 1100S with ABS and want to install this unit. So, some questions; 1. does you 1100S have ABS?; 2. how hard was it to install the regulator and specifically what did have to remove once the tank was off; and 3. do you know what the output is after the bike is up to operating temperature, does it put out 14.5v? Thanks is advance

Sorry cant help with the install

Because I have a Non ABS R1159R

But I do know my EME 14.5Volt Reg only puts out about 14.2 when fully warmed up with  the ambient temp  about 70F

Fully cold with the ambient temp around 40F it does put out 14.5

I just checked it last  Sunday when I took it out for the first time after installing it

Thanks for the info. Are you using an AGM battery and if so which one? Did you install the EME regulator and if so how hard was in on yours?

Yes, I did replace the reg without removing the alternator from the bike.  Saved a lot of time.  And, yes, ABS on the bike but that was not involved in any way.

I had to remove the ECU (very simple) to remove the cover on the rear of the alt (two tiny screws).  Once the cover screws are removed, the cover has to be rotated so that the cutout (for the alt terminals) is aligned with the volt reg screws.  The screws and then the volt reg can then be removed and replaced with the higher voltage reg. 

The hard part is rotating the cover.  I actually gave up several times.  It finally happened with some very persistant fiddling.  Interestingly, it was very easy to get it back to the original position after installing the reg.  

Suggestion: take some pics of the process and post them here.  I wish I had done that at the time.

I have not checked the output voltage but the bike has been running very well since then with no issues with the Odyssey PC680 or the alt.

Got all your other information thanks. Will remember to take pictures as the work progresses. Sounds about as hard as I had hoped. Sounds easier than removing the front fascia from my GTI to replace the grill and paint some scrapes on the underside. Sometimes I think I am getting to old to do this.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:51 AM, 041100S said:

Thanks for the info. Are you using an AGM battery and if so which one? Did you install the EME regulator and if so how hard was in on yours?

I am using it with a  Odyssey PC680

My first one is 6 years old and the one in the R1150R is 4 years old

Yes it is a 14,5 volt reg that I got from EME

Changing it was the same as Lowndes describes except i had immediate access to back of the GEN with out removing the ECU and of course I have no ABS pump to deal with

My R1150R may be different from your 1100S

I also drilled a hole in the rear cover to make it easier to get at the lower screw that holds the reg on

Thanks for the info. This is to hear as some have thought that the EME regulator alone may not provide enough voltage for adequate charging and therefore modified the original regulator with a diode. working on getting the ABS pump, not a big deal taking time as to not screw up.