IGNORED

SF Bay Area to “Seattle” this weekend (February 2020)

szurszewski

Hello!

If things go to, or even close to, plan, on Saturday I’ll be riding from the Bay Area back north. I-5 is a possibility - it’s a get-there trip, not a fiddle-around trip - and up the coast on 1/101 is a possibility as I’ve got Saturday and Sunday to play with. 

But, what I’m wondering, is if it would be likely possible to head up I-5 as far as Redding before making a decision about  Siskiyous. I could cut over through Weaver to the coast from there, and the question is: if Siskiyous pass is getting snow, is it likely I’ll also not want to ride over 299 toward Arcata? I’ve been through there in the summer but never in winter or even fall...

thanks!

josh

If I were to do this at this time of the year I would take Hwy 101 north out of San Francisco rather than I-5 and Hwy 299.  If you want to cut over to the coast and enjoy Hwy 1,  you could ride up Hwy 128 through Booneville , or cross over on Hwy 20 at Willits if you want to toss in some twisties.  Here's why I would choose this alternative.  

Once past Santa Rosa you loose a lot of traffic and Highway 101 going up to Willits and beyond is much prettier than the truck laden, ruler straight, 80 mph I-5.  And for you, it's easier to get to. Just north of Garberville you could cruise through the Avenue of the Giants.  There are alternatives to I-505 /  I-5 in the Sacramento Valley though.  You might come into Sacramento on I-80 to I-5 north, take Hwy. 99 through Yuba City and go north into Red Bluff where you can join I-5 about 30 miles south of Redding.  A bit more pastoral, a lot fewer big rigs and a nicer, up close view of the Sutter Buttes.  I like Hwy 70 through Oroville for this too.  Both end up on Hwy 99 in Red Bluff.  

But, there's another reason.  While I don't see precipitation in the forecast for this weekend, the overnight temps in Weaverville are going to be below freezing.  My concern is that any snow runoff on the road will freeze.  In shadowed corners, that sometimes doesn't melt for awhile.  And, if you've been over Hwy 299 before, you know that there are plenty of those.  I bailed on a trip over Hwy. 299 early last April for this same reason.  Maybe I'm too cautious.

Whichever choice you make, have a fun ride up to  Seattle!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the advice - just what I needed. 

Currently fueling up in Eugene heading south (in a car) - going to stop again closer to Medford for dinner and decide then if I go over the pass tonight or tomorrow. 

Sometime between now and Saturday morning (when I plan to, literally, trade this car for “the” bike) I’ll look over your suggestions for the valley :)

Definitely take 101 from the bay area, no question. At least as far as Arcata. Then, if it were me, I'd do the following:

If the Siskiyou pass conditions look good for your projected time of day (could be icy in the evening tonight!),  I'd take 299>96>5.  Note 36>3>5 is also great but has another cold pass to deal with.

Otherwise take 199 from Crescent City to Grants Pass, then up 5 from there.

• Thanks 1

Thank you - that’s pretty much my plan. Currently at in n out in Ukiah having a late lunch or early dinner or something. There’s a milkshake involved and that’s what really matters!

I woke up this morning around 0430 at my friend’s house in Hayward and checked the weather. It looked like I could get over Siskiyou just fine if I arrived before 3-4pm and probably ok a bit later... considered leaving at first light, but decided to stay and hang out with my friend a bit, feed the chickens, BS a bunch, have a late breakfast. Finally got on the bike around one or so. Weather is perfect and traffic is light. Temps are dropping though so I’ll add a layer and plug in the jacket before I roll out of here. 

Here’s two more.

I got it a little dirty in the redwoods AND I just about dropped it stopping for that scenic one. Seriously. To the left. Down the hillside and into the ocean. :eek:

40225CD4-B136-43F7-8BD2-4BD335C7A885.thumb.jpeg.9ba5b43090a17500151708fe299b4d8e.jpeg92149585-7579-496F-ADB1-88D40A559325.thumb.jpeg.9d7f821f9641714cb257e93d7fc895a4.jpeg

Parked!

F088981C-F2FD-4DE3-948C-68A78693361D.thumb.jpeg.9d80011643361e5c0b6abc9244b2666f.jpeg

(taking this pic to post has made me concerned I may have developed some sort of Bavarian affliction - that car is totally not mine though. That’s my wife’s. I swear I had nothing to do with it.)

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Shane J. said:

Great score Josh. Congratulations!

Thanks! It needs new shoes, so I will likely be getting in touch to see if the bike - or at least the wheels - can come over for a visit in the relatively near future. ;)

PS : I may have wound up the throttle just a bit when I went by the end of your street last night just before 8pm. If you heard it and thought, man that sounds nice, it was me; if you heard and thought, damn it I’m trying to relax, then it was one if your neighbor’s Subaru’s...