IGNORED

Aftermarket front end for R1250RT.

AviP

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket front end/cowling/dash product out there? I find the stock one looks hellishly ugly. I'm looking for more flowing lines. And before you guys start, I tried, but it's not growing on me. It just looks big, bulky, edgy plastic. :4316:

Go look at some Camheads or Hexheads. 

Then yours will look much better. 

I have never heard of anything like you ask about. It would be so expensive that they couldn't sell them. 

Now there's some ugly in this pic, but it ain't the bike's fault. :classic_biggrin: Yeah, I agree with Terry, you may have to find a new starting point. :dontknow:

image.jpeg

7 hours ago, AviP said:

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket front end/cowling/dash product out there? I find the stock one looks hellishly ugly. I'm looking for more flowing lines. And before you guys start, I tried, but it's not growing on me. It just looks big, bulky, edgy plastic. :4316:

It would be cheaper to sell the bike, take a loss, and buy something else.

The RT isn't for everyone, but I've never thought of them as particularly ugly.

I guess I missed out saying I don't own it yet because the front is fugly. If there was an aftermarket option, I'd be an instant buyer. I prefer my vehicles to exemplify form and function but IMHO, the latest iteration is all function.

I'd also like to add that I'm not trolling this forum or any owners. It's just my personal preference. Right now, I'm still riding my R1100RT but it's getting rather old. Thanks guys!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AviP said:

R1100RT

I'd have to agree ( biased as a former 1100 RT owner also  :grin:) .... the old, flowing lines are  much more appealing than the "insect" styling of the more modern iterations of the RT.

I am at a loss to know why you bought the bike if you didn't like it.

From 2005 to 2013 I refused to by the perfectly good 1200RT Hexhead and Camhead bikes based on how they made me feel when I looked at their form! Thankfully my 1150 always made me feel great when I looked at it.

I now have the same dashboard as you do (1200 RT Wethead, and can't really understand how you find it so offensive. Bland maybe...but "hellishly ugly", no way.

10 hours ago, AviP said:

I guess I missed out saying I don't own it yet because the front is fugly. If there was an aftermarket option, I'd be an instant buyer. I prefer my vehicles to exemplify form and function but IMHO, the latest iteration is all function.

I'd also like to add that I'm not trolling this forum or any owners. It's just my personal preference. Right now, I'm still riding my R1100RT but it's getting rather old. Thanks guys!

Well, there is the problem. I didn't buy the 2005 when it came out due to how it looked. Bought a used 2004 RT. Waited till 2014 to buy a new RT mainly due to looks. 

The R 1100-1150 RT is the best looking bike BMW ever built!   But if I had one in the garage beside the 2014 RT, it would hardly ever be ridden. 

I get that the OP did NOT buy one (yet?) because he doesn't like the looks - but I can maybe answer @AndyS because I bought a *(ducks down to avoid glares and possibly rocks about to come his way)* an R1100RT despite thinking it was maybe the ugliest bike ever built. I wanted a reliable bike capable of doing some really "fun" riding and also very capable of taking me and my wife in comfort on strings of really long riding days. I was totally happy with the purchase and the styling grew on me a bit over time.

I've owned a few bikes that weren't the best looking, but delivered performance and function in spades. 

If I were more into looks, I'd own a piece of that Milwaukee ass jewelry :4316:

51 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Well, there is the problem. I didn't buy the 2005 when it came out due to how it looked. Bought a used 2004 RT. Waited till 2014 to buy a new RT mainly due to looks. 

The R 1100-1150 RT is the best looking bike BMW ever built!   But if I had one in the garage beside the 2014 RT, it would hardly ever be ridden. 

I too think the R1150RT are the best looking but like Realshheby my 02R1150RT did stay parked for a year after I purchased my 14R1200RT before I sold it.  I have a Russel Day Long not an attractive looking seat (ok it's ugly) butt I can ride 100's of sMiles in comfort, you don't see the seat when riding only joy of comfort.  Other then the dash you don't see the bike your ridding only joy it should bring... 

• Like 1

If we all valued form over function, no one would ever buy a Jeep,.....ever, it's a brick you push through the air,........my motto is function OVER form, it ain't a fashion show and when you're passing traffic and leaning curves, it doesn't matter how it looks........but to each their own,.......that's why cruiser people have lots of polish on hand ;)

4 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I think Jeeps look great - really!

Ya, I kinda like 'em too

6353pogostick.jpg.64961ba7cfbac6100e01cc40499ebb9b.jpg

dsc00771y.jpg.68dd79d92356f58851dcbd12495722f1.jpg

Too bad I sold it 'cause I didn't play with it no more........only vehicle I regret selling.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BrianM said:

My camhead RT was superior to my 1100RT in every way except looks.

Agree 100% but that supports what I'm saying, that the looks department has gone downhill. BMW Motorad should take a cue from whoever is designing the R18 concept. Flowing lines, less clutter.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2020 at 3:54 AM, AviP said:

Agree 100% but that supports what I'm saying, that the looks department has gone downhill. BMW Motorad should take a cue from whoever is designing the R18 concept. Flowing lines, less clutter.

So are you going to test ride a more modern RT and decide for yourself whether the engineering advances are enough to offset the styling changes or just sit back and moan?

On 2/4/2020 at 7:17 AM, Pappy35 said:

How about the new R1250RS? That is a killer looking machine. I HATED it's predecessor but the redesign has me lusting after it.

A8D53674-0CC2-4412-834E-BED3356FAB19.thumb.jpeg.d87eb8286d613e3aeb3a4ee5cc514841.jpeg

6667D685-2972-4AE0-9D71-BD0CEEEEF5EC.jpeg

• Like 1
John Bentall

On 3/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, ScottT said:

Here ya go.

BMW-R1800-Tourer-Erlkoenig-169FullWidth-aa57d236-1674225.jpg

If you're saying that this R1200CLC-revisited is continuing the flowing design theme of the R1100RT, then I think we need to have a little talk ....... 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know guys, but the looks across the R-bikes just don't do it for me anymore. Factor in that as I have gained more experience over the years working on my bikes, I've noticed that the maintenance seems to have become more complex over the years. And while I've never had to fix anything more than a flat tire on the road, I've always traveled with the ability to fix more than basic problems. Check out this video. Is it really true that the oil filler cap cannot be opened by hand? 

Is it really true that the oil filler cap cannot be opened by hand? 

Yes, All BMW boxers need the "Special key" For the oil filler cap. It's always been like this at least since the first 1200 in 2005 (Maybe earlier)

You can buy after market caps that uses different locking methods also

First time I see a complaint about this and it looks like people have been traveling around the world on those GSs without any issues.

YMMV