IGNORED

?PAINTING BODY PARTS?

BamaJohn

I'm posting this in hopes that it helps someone who is considering having body parts painted.  Disclaimer:  I'm not associated with Rozar's nor Pates in any way other than passing along good sources if needed).

I needed to repaint the right side case painted part (#2 in parts photo) due to some nicks in the paint that were bugging me.  So, after removing the part and filling/sanding/priming it I went searching for OEM paint.  www.colorrite.com has almost every color code EXCEPT MINE! (N1K, "carbonschwartz").  

So here's the helpful part:  I took the other side case painted part to Rozar's Paint in Birmingham AL and, using the German word for the paint color "carbonschwartz", they found the code and mixed 1/2 pint... and that got me to Pates auto body shop in Talladega for the actual painting. 

Rozar's has locations in Birmingham, Anniston, Cullman, Rainbow City, Tuscaloosa, and Jasper Alabama.  

Now for the tough-to-swallow part:  The 1/2pint of color cost $95!  That doesn't include the Reducer, the Clear Cote, and painting labor...Pate's is furnishing that.  So the cost to repaint one Wethead side case painted part will run about $200!  But the cost of buying a new one is over $500, which is just beyond words.

What's in MY wallet???   Emptiness!

Is it worth it?  only YOU can decide! :5146:

B0007059.jpg

Ya, when this little nick in the paint starts affecting the drive train,......I'll get it fixed.

image.png.9cb5be997c22d5360465ae49771bb5d1.png

Good on ya for getting yours squared away!!!

• Like 1

Both of mine are scratched pretty badly, mostly by the previous owner(s). For $400  for both sides I might be tempted do it. What did you use to sand and fill? How hard was it to do your end of the job? I a fair bit of experience with fiberglassing and epoxy on model airplanes but never tried automotive bodywork before.

3 hours ago, Pappy35 said:

Both of mine are scratched pretty badly, mostly by the previous owner(s). For $400  for both sides I might be tempted do it. What did you use to sand and fill? How hard was it to do your end of the job? I a fair bit of experience with fiberglassing and epoxy on model airplanes but never tried automotive bodywork before.

Note that the cases and parts are not fiberglass, but plastic, and fiberglass work is different.  Also note that some body shops will not paint anything they haven't prepped (for obvious reasons), but Pate's has done work for me on my bikes and truck, and I was very clear with them on exactly what I'd done and what primer I'd used.  We both want a quality finish in the end.  

My nicks were fairly minor but visible and I used Bondo "Glazing and Spot Putty" on them.

31 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Thank You...I have not tried those...please note that the OEM paint is NOT a lacquer paint, but a catalized paint.  The first thing Pate's asked was if the primer I used was a lacquer...if so, they'd have to sand it all off and start over.  (my primer was not lacquer, so all is good).

I was looking for paint code for the Blue Planet metallic, and an inmate of the other forum posted the following site, which was new to me!  It did provide me with the code that I was looking for, but for the benefit of this thread, it seems that they have touch-up paint for any color that you might want:  https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-paint/bmw-motorcycle?year=2019&baseColor=

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Can I clarify, are you saying that your sprayer does not use a clear lacquer over the top of the colour paint?

He will clear coat it, just not sure what he uses...sorry.

19 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

I'm posting this in hopes that it helps someone who is considering having body parts painted.  ...

Thanks.  I have been mulling over the idea of having some of my black plastic pieces painted to match my Alpine White pieces.  For example, parts 7, 8, and 9 in your picture.  Clearly an indulgence for aesthetic reasons only.  Now I have a sense of what it will cost.

Remember the paint scheme of the Boxer Cup racers?  I think a red/blue graphic would look great on our RT's with a white background.  

Cap

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PadG said:

I was looking for paint code for the Blue Planet metallic, and an inmate of the other forum posted the following site, which was new to me!  It did provide me with the code that I was looking for, but for the benefit of this thread, it seems that they have touch-up paint for any color that you might want:  https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-paint/bmw-motorcycle?year=2019&baseColor=

I bought their kit and gave it a try, but my skills at touchup produced less results than their marketing indicates.  (and I'm not being coy...I'm just no good at touchup). :4617:

I have to get mine repainted after an altercation with our camper trailer. Mine has decals under the clear, so it's gonna cost a bomb in Pacific Pe$o$...

• 2 weeks later...
Corazon de Pollo

Just my past experience: in the past I had several Hexhead panels repainted by an ordinary car bodywork shop.

Just be sure to pick one accustomed at dealing with present BMW cars so they have all recent colors saved in their database. Carbonschwarz was used (and may still be used) on the present 5-series sedan.

Car shops don't like doing whole bikes, but are very happy to deal with detached panels, so happy in fact they may even throw you a discount because they don't have to take off and reassemble anything. Just be sure to talk with the owner/manager as detached panels are considered "special jobs" so the cost needs to be negotiated on a per case basis. Just be sure to shop around because prices are all over the place for exactly the same job.