IGNORED

A rain shadow reprieve

bendbill

In the skyline background is the Cascade Range of Central Oregon, 22 miles away by road, with peaks of 9000-10,000' +

Down here in Bend [ elev  3600’ ]  the temp on my ride yesterday was 58.  Up there a blanket of snow over 100” deep awaits my skis later this week. 

The blessings of a rain shadow.  But Pac NW people hope we don't have a repeat of 2019: after a very mild January last year, Mother Nature dumped  25” of the white stuff in 3 days.

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

• Like 1

I live in the Sacramento area in the Sierra foothills.  I did a rare solo tour of eastern Oregon & Washington last June which included Bend.  After touring through the most interesting basalt geology one could imagine, I came to the conclusion that you live in the best kept secret in motorcycle touring.  Just coming south along Hwy. 97 which I now think of as "volcano alley", would make the trip worthwhile.  I'll be back this spring with my wife.  I can't wait to show her what I found.  I'm glad you found good weather to ride in...it was a balmy 70 degrees here today too as I rode along California Route 49 in the "Gold Country".  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

I live in the Sacramento area in the Sierra foothills.  I did a rare solo tour of eastern Oregon & Washington last June which included Bend.  After touring through the most interesting basalt geology one could imagine, I came to the conclusion that you live in the best kept secret in motorcycle touring.  Just coming south along Hwy. 97 which I now think of as "volcano alley", would make the trip worthwhile.  I'll be back this spring with my wife.  I can't wait to show her what I found.  I'm glad you found good weather to ride in...it was a balmy 70 degrees here today too as I rode along California Route 49 in the "Gold Country".  

You're in great riding country.  I enjoy your Hwy 140, 108, and 4, and I love your Hwy 49, but they've all been by car.  They're on my bucket list to ride.  Next time you do Bend, look me up: there are some beautiful easy loops over our 4-5  mountain passes.  Or you can spend a week in John Day area and take different loops every day

• Like 1
14 hours ago, JamesW said:

Hey, nice going Bill.  Last thing we need is more people up here from you know where.  

Regards,

Disgruntled native Oregonian 

As a matter of fact, James W, I've been showing community college students in little laid-back Prineville that the trickle of folks into their hometown has grown into a stream.  Stats also show that Deschutes county [ Bend ] sent 280+ people there last year.  The commuter way of life caused by rising housing prices is repeating an old pattern from Southern y-k-w.

And to think I once wanted to retire in central Oregon, about 30 years ago:rofl:  Better make that 35 come to think of it.  The influx from CA has changed the face of this region to the point I honestly don't recognize it.  A couple years ago we hiked to the top of Mt. McLaughlin in southern OR, which I've been doing since i was in the boy scouts, and we were appalled by the amount of just plain garbage left by hikers at the summit.  Yup, California north.:cry:

Where oh where is Tom McCall when we need him?