IGNORED

A Member Recommended I Join! (Hey Stir) + Question

Husky701

Hey BMWST,  

A few weeks ago I met one of your members, Stir, while out exploring on my new bike. We got to chatting, and I mentioned receiving a speeding ticket on my old bike a few weeks prior. First ticket after 5 years of riding, so it was bound to happen at some point. I was going with the flow of traffic down a big hill on the freeway, and got snagged being the last in the row. Wasn't paying attention to speed, just going with the flow! 

Anyways, Stir recommended I sign up here to check out some info on doing a Trial by Written Declaration in California. I tried using the search function but was unable to find the thread I think he was talking about. 

Could anyone point me to it? 

BTW, incase Stir sees this, thanks for the recommendation on where to ride - had a blast! 

Welcome Husky, :wave: sucks about the ticket. :dontknow: l look back at the one I got years ago, didn't deserve it in that instance but I sure did fifty times before that. :classic_biggrin:

If you want to get his attention, you can send him a private message or you can “tag” him here like this: @Stir and see if he responds to the notification. 

In any case, welcome to the board and good luck with the ticket!

Thanks for the welcome guys. My parents raised me with the saying "don't do the crime if you can't do the crime." That being said, I'd feel like a chump if I didn't at least TRY to do a trial by written declaration :) 

@Stir mentioned there being some info on what specifically to include in the declaration, or at least I thought he did! Other than seeing to write "not guilty", I didn't see anything specific in the above thread linked. Am I missing something here?

Thanks again!

I have uploaded a zip file that contains TBDs that were successful.

The trailer document occurred when Sean Cavanaugh and I were returning from the Cody Unrally.  Sean had driven from Salt Lake and pulled over in Baker to let me take over.  I had slept that entire distance.  In this situation, the freeway went from two lanes, opened up to 4 lanes where the 91 onramp enters and then eventually returned to two lanes.  This is a case where I thought I was unfairly cited.  The judge agreed.  The officer also stated that I looked tired and demanded that I go to the next off ramp and get a cup of coffee.  He followed us there and waited until I exited with my cup.  I took great pleasure in beating this meat head in court.  Coffee is not a substitute for sleep.

There was another instance where I was pulled over for using the HOV lane on ramp.  I have an EV with a sticker so I was permitted to do so.  I explained to the officer that the sticker permitted me to enter the HOV lane.  He said, "You can drive in the HOV lane, but you aren't permitted to use the HOV ramps."  "Huh? Then how do I get in the HOV lane?"  He explained that if I wanted to argue, he would cite me.  I said, "No officer, you are right...."  When I got to work, I called the department and asked for the motor supervisor.  I explained the issue and he said, "(sigh) I'll talk to him". I never saw that motor sitting on that access lane again.  :-)

The point is, officers are people too.  They have bad days like the rest of us.  But we have the means to correct these issues, relatively easy in California.