IGNORED

Bike didn't start this AM

Riderdrumr

I pushed the Keyless button. Nothing. I had the fob with me. Tried the locking and unlocking the bike with the fob. Nothing. Changed the fob battery as I had an extra one. Nothing. Tried the emergency key. Wedging it between the gauges and it's housing as it indicates in the manual and tried starting the bike. Nothing. When I rode the bike this past Monday there was no indication of a low battery. Heated gear only works when the bike is on, so even if I did leave the heat controller on (I didn't) it wouldn't have drained the battery. Bro-in-law who has a K1600GT said to disconnect and reconnect the battery. If the battery is still good, it should "reset the system." Is that correct? I bought the bike in Nov from the 1st owner. It didn't get much usage; only 8400 miles since early '15. I've already put on another 2k miles. Could the battery be toast already?

Dave

Yes, the battery could be bad, age doesn't matter, and being 5 years old, it is suspect. Get a volt meter and test it, a decent cheap meter will work fine for that.

The meter can be used for troubleshooting other systems as well.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Riderdrumr said:

...Could the battery be toast already?

Yes.  Sounds like you are on the right track in your troubleshooting.  Do you know how to access the battery?  

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Cap said:

Yes.  Sounds like you are on the right track in your troubleshooting.  Do you know how to access the battery?  

Yup. I got to it to run the lines for the heated gear.

When replacing the battery, it might have some interference on top, and be difficult to slide out.  It helps if you give it some persuasion by prying gently on the top.  If your dealer's price seems high, you might try using BatteriesPlus -- I found that if I need a battery right away, that I can buy online from BatteriesPlus and get a small discount and then pick it up at a local store.  

• Like 2

If you get a new battery and need a tender, make sure the battery and tender are compatible,.......the Odessy PC680 is a finicky thing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Riderdrumr said:

It was the battery. :4315:

Something simple is always a good thing. 

At 8400 miles on a 15 it was a good bet.  Battery's liked to be used and that mileage shows the PO did not run her.

Sounds like your gonna take care of "charging" the new battery just fine :classic_biggrin:

With the current state of battery construction, 5 years use is the high end of average. It is not unusual to replace one every three years, and it is not uncommon for relatively new ones to fail. When chasing electrical or running issues, the first thing to suspect is the battery, even if new.

37 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

With the current state of battery construction, 5 years use is the high end of average. It is not unusual to replace one every three years, and it is not uncommon for relatively new ones to fail. When chasing electrical or running issues, the first thing to suspect is the battery, even if new.

Couldn't agree more.  My previous bike (an ST1300) that I had for 11 years had it's first battery go by simply shorting out.  Literally a day after i had ridden it a couple of hundred miles.  Hit the starter button in the garage and everything went out........it couldn't even be charged.  I always kept/keep it on a Tender.

My standard operating procedure has become a new battery every three years whether it "needs" it or not.  With my luck I'd be three states away when it called it a day......  Glad to hear it solved the OP's issue.