IGNORED

Rod Anderson

Rod Anderson

:27: Hi People. I have a 1999 K1200LT, with 41,000 Kilometers on it, which for one of these is hardly run in? It's been a great bike in the time I have owned, but now I am having issues with the brakes, diagnosed as the inner front hoses collapsing. Is this a common issue I wonder?  I have decided the best solution is Braided Lines, which are available online made up fro around $500 U.S.  However, as I live in New Zealand, by the time they are imported here, along with the exchange rate, you can pretty much double that figure in New Zealand dollars. It's a far cheaper option to get them made up, and there is a very reputable company where I live that will do it? However, rather than remove all the lines off my bike, then have it sitting around while they are being made up, can anyone tell me what length and circumference they are? 

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

That is a common issue for the original (30+ year old) rubber lines. Braided lines are a great solution - generally cheaper than replacing with the OEM rubber lines, and they'll last longer too. Here (USA) a full set of braided lines for your bike (which I used to have) is about $250 USD, but unfortunately I don't have the specs and can't find them online. 

I will, though, strongly suggest two things: replace the rear as well (there's much less going on back there, so not much more cost or work - and if the front lines are breaking down, the rear line is too - or will be soon), and make sure to flush the calipers out as well - no use putting new lines on if you're still going to have bits of the old ones floating around the system.

(I bought my LT with 70k MILES on it and then put another 45k on it over two years - great bike :) that should have lots of miles left for you to enjoy!)

Rod,

Both Galfer and Speigler offer braided SS brake line sets manufactured specifically for your model.  As szurszewski said, the cost will be around $200.00 US.  Some are less expensive, some more.  I personally have changed out 3 sets of brake lines on RT's and a K75s, using Spiegler lines.  Almost a no-brainer as far as wrenching skills are concerned.  And yes, be sure to flush the fluid thoroughly to get any foreign debris out of the new lines, reservoirs and calipers.