IGNORED

Temecula Days- Relocated to Ramona March 21st 2020

graydude

On 3/4/2020 at 6:04 AM, hedstrom said:

Due to unimaginable tragedy I will not be able to participate this time. My 11 year old grandson fell 300 feet to his death in the Catskills mountains this past weekend. I will attend to his family 

Hedstrom

Very sad to hear of your loss Hakan.  My condolences to you and your family.  

2 hours ago, longjohn said:

Rain for Ramona that fri and Saturday 

GAAH!

The event is still over a week away.  Lots will change.  The market will be back.  A vacccine will be at have and we will have no rain.

2 hours ago, MikeRC said:

Well, after due consideration and contemplation I have flown home and will be missing the event.  

The rapid increase in COVID-19 cases in California soured my enthusiasm and brought up the potential for mandatory 14d isolation/quarantine either in California or on my return home.  Where would I stay in California?  At least at home I can sit in my den and keep busy.   

Hope everyone has a good time.  Maybe things will settle down by November, and I can come back for DVD.  

Mike C

Sorry to miss you Mike.  Maybe see you at the Un?

Not to downplay the need to prevent the spread of the current Corona virus outbreak, but have a look at this to put things in perspective. There is no similar reaction to the yearly influenza outbreak. I know there is no vaccine (yet), but does this not seem to be an unjustified panic? 

1 hour ago, AZgman said:

Not to downplay the need to prevent the spread of the current Corona virus outbreak, but have a look at this to put things in perspective. There is no similar reaction to the yearly influenza outbreak. I know there is no vaccine (yet), but does this not seem to be an unjustified panic? 

If I was a US citizen and lived in California/Arizona/Nevada/Oregon, I would still be going. 

But employers are increasingly putting 14 day international travel bans on employees returning to work.  At least here in Canada (and Europe).  Although semi-retired, I have a commitment to work for someone else 9 days after the event, so I wouldn't be able to keep up my side of the agreement.  

My few days riding in Southern California were great and I'm looking forward to coming back.  

Mike C 

2 hours ago, graydude said:

Sorry to miss you Mike.  Maybe see you at the Un?

Wish I could, Todd.  But I my wife has me busy for the summer. 

Considering how much I've been away riding (November & December last year & March this year), I think I better do as she says to avoid having the locks changed on the house.  

Mike C

• Like 1

Mike, I did not mean to single you out with my comment. It was meant more as a comment on the overall national reaction to the COVID-19 virus. You need to do what is best for you.

• Thanks 1
szurszewski
1 hour ago, MikeRC said:

Wish I could, Todd.  But I my wife has me busy for the summer. 

Considering how much I've been away riding (November & December last year & March this year), I think I better do as she says to avoid having the locks changed on the house.  

Mike C

But then you *could* ride all the time....

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, graydude said:

The event is still over a week away.  Lots will change.  The market will be back.  A vacccine will be at have and we will have no rain.

Yep, lots can change, wx wise. Now about that market:  :rofl:

I have minimal exposure to the market:  no SS. 2 annuities tied to CPI, and small rental income. 

I'm sorry folks, but I'm out.  Jamie's company was exposed to cerveza virus yesterday.  She's pretty spooked.  She's not keen on me bringing over a bunch of viral hoons .  Of course, the ones who do come out, I have a trailer and will support the group in the event of break downs, etc.

• Thanks 1
Bill_Walker
On 3/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, AZgman said:

The case fatality rate for COVID-19 is from 10-70 times that of the flu, depending on whose stats you look at and what location.  It's 0.1% for flu, and the lowest number I've seen for COVID-19 is 1%, from Dr. Fauci.  China says 2%, WHO says 3.4%, and in Italy it's currently 7.2%!  The US is currently about where Italy was on March 1, in terms of number of cases (but we've severely under-tested).  And the fatality rates are higher for older people.

Not only is there no vaccine, there's also no treatment, other than palliative care for the symptoms.  People with bad cases need oxygen or ventilators, equipment that soon be in short supply.  In Italy, they've reached the point where doctors are having to decide not to treat patients based on remaining years of life, because there isn't enough equipment to go around.  That could be us in a couple of weeks.

Don't panic, but do be prepared, take precautions, and do what you can to maintain social distance to prevent spreading the disease, so we don't overhwelm our medical system.

There's a good data source here:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Scroll down to the national table, and you can see that Italy added more cases TODAY than the total number of cases in the US.  Once today's newly-announced testing initiative gets going, our numbers will spike.

Here's a good article on why the published numbers lag behind reality, and what we have to do to avoid overwhelming the health system: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I don't want to minimize how serious this situation is, but I don't think we should let this become another Covid-19 thread.

We have one of those.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Groanup said:

I don't want to minimize how serious this situation is, but I don't think we should let this become another Covid-19 thread.

We have one of those.

So are expecting rain next weekend?

Don J

14 hours ago, Groanup said:

We have one of those.

On 3/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, MikeRC said:

If I was a US citizen and lived in California/Arizona/Nevada/Oregon, I would still be going. 

My few days riding in Southern California were great and I'm looking forward to coming back.  

Mike C 

I still believe in what I stated above.   I only came home due to a requirement by my employer (now a provincial edict) to self-isolate for 14 days after any international travel.  

Public health officials only want to avoid large group gatherings (the cut-off here has been placed at 250).  They also caution people with an unexplained fever or cough + fever to stay at home for 10-14 days and get tested at some point.  

This is going to be a very tough time for businesses.  If I could still be there I would happily continue to support the local businesses by attending.  

But unlike most of you California creampuffs I have a Euro style single piece BMW rainsuit that has proved impermeable to all-day Patagonia rain :4322: 

Mike C

• Like 2
15 hours ago, mrduck said:

So are expecting rain next weekend?

Don J

As of just now, they are saying there is "a possibility" for rain Friday through Sunday, so I'm expecting it to be dry... :dontknow:

Bill_Walker
22 hours ago, Groanup said:

We have one of those.

Sorry.  I get a little incensed by the continuing stream of folks making invalid comparisons to the flu.

9 hours ago, MikeRC said:

I still believe in what I stated above.   I only came home due to a requirement by my employer (now a provincial edict) to self-isolate for 14 days after any international travel.  

Public health officials only want to avoid large group gatherings (the cut-off here has been placed at 250).  They also caution people with an unexplained fever or cough + fever to stay at home for 10-14 days and get tested at some point.  

This is going to be a very tough time for businesses.  If I could still be there I would happily continue to support the local businesses by attending.  

But unlike most of you California creampuffs I have a Euro style single piece BMW rainsuit that has proved impermeable to all-day Patagonia rain :4322: 

Mike C

Kinda hard to realize Canada is considered “international travel” with you Canucks right next door .....and you guys send us some mighty fine beer too.....come back and visit us when ya can.

Now you have to understand, those of us that reside out here in the vast Mojave desert find that water falling outta the sky is rather peculiar, and we’re not real sure how to function when this happens......so we’ll just go hang out in the nearest Starbux till that wet stuff goes away!

See ya on the next one 

Don J 😎

49319B06-836A-4C51-BF87-8DBCE93E3AE7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, mrduck said:

Kinda hard to realize Canada is considered “international travel” with you Canucks right next door .....and you guys send us some mighty fine beer too.....come back and visit us when ya can.

Now you have to understand, those of us that reside out here in the vast Mojave desert find that water falling outta the sky is rather peculiar, and we’re not real sure how to function when this happens......so we’ll just go hang out in the nearest Starbux till that wet stuff goes away!

See ya on the next one 

Don J 😎

49319B06-836A-4C51-BF87-8DBCE93E3AE7.jpeg

So Duck... does this mean you're not showing up??  :hide

Bill_Walker
4 hours ago, mrduck said:

so we’ll just go hang out in the nearest Starbux till that wet stuff goes away!

Lucky for you, Ramona has a Starbucks!

• Haha 1
On 3/14/2020 at 10:04 AM, Groanup said:

As of just now, they are saying there is "a possibility" for rain Friday through Sunday, so I'm expecting it to be dry... :dontknow:

Like Don said, I am also expecting it to be dry.

Well at least, Friday & Saturday,

On 3/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, mrduck said:

See ya on the next one 

Don J 😎

Thanks Don. 

Best guess is closure of our border to returning Canadians by the end of this week.  Lots of Snowbirds may be looking at extended stays.  

Gotta retrieve my bikes at some point, but when is anybody's guess.  

Mike C

Bill_Walker

Boys, I think we've got a real problem.

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Sunday significantly ramped up California’s response to the coronavirus, calling for the closure of all bars, nightclubs, wineries and brewpubs, and urging people 65 and older and those with chronic health conditions to stay indoors in an effort to slow the virus’ spread.

The governor also called on much greater social distancing measures for restaurants. They will be directed to reduce their occupancy by roughly half and ensure that tables are at least 6 feet apart, he said.

and (especially for Don)

Starbucks also announced new efforts to limit the number of people gathering there. All of its stores in the U.S. and Canada will move to a “to go” model for at least two weeks, removing all seating in cafe and patio areas, the company announced Sunday. Some stores in high-traffic locations such as malls and college campuses will be temporarily closed, and others in communities with high concentrations of the virus will be either closed or their operating hours reduced.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/california/story/2020-03-15/la-me-coronavirus-california-news

21 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

Boys, I think we've got a real problem.

Looks like we'll have to bring the bar with us.  At least you can get the Starbucks to go.  Too bad it's not Vegas with open carry of alcohol.  To go bars would be awesome right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, BrianT said:

Looks like we'll have to bring the bar with us.  At least you can get the Starbucks to go.  Too bad it's not Vegas with open carry of alcohol.  To go bars would be awesome right now.

I’m guessing Bill has some samples from his last euro trip. :rofl:

• Haha 1
Bill_Walker
On 3/15/2020 at 6:15 PM, longjohn said:

I’m guessing Bill has some samples from his last euro trip. :rofl:

That's long gone.

On 3/15/2020 at 4:37 PM, MikeRC said:

Thanks Don. 

Best guess is closure of our border to returning Canadians by the end of this week.  Lots of Snowbirds may be looking at extended stays.  

Gotta retrieve my bikes at some point, but when is anybody's guess.  

Mike C

Didn't even make it to the end of the week:  White House holds briefing as Trump shuts border with Canada  

This was a mutual decision by the US and Canadian governments, BTW.    And commercial trade isn't affected (for now).  Although Canada relies on train & truck traffic from & through the US for about 70% of our fresh produce at this time of year, alternate supply chains are being examined.  

If this carries on into the summer I may be looking at someone to rescue my bikes & trailer from Palm Springs.  Although, if we look at the China experience, 8 to 12 weeks of cooperative (or enforced) people movement restriction should "flatten the curve" and lead to relaxation of that closure.   

Mike C