IGNORED

Anybody else this Smart?

BamaJohn

I'm so smart that I out-smarted myself yesterday!  Lesson: Warm hands facilitate better clutching and braking......

Yesterday was a planned 200+ mile day ride in central Alabama with 3 riding buddies.  A 7:30am departure in true temp. of 34 degrees F meant full heated gear, but I wanted to try out some BMW winter gloves that had sat in my closet for a year.  And so it was that I left behind my heated gloves...brilliant!   Dense fog prevented the sun from warming us during the first hours of the ride and even the heated grips couldn't fix my mistake of wearing the wrong gloves!  Methinks the heated gloves stay with the bike and the BMW winter gloves go back in the closet.   Should have tried the BMW gloves on a 2 hr ride...not a 6 hr ride! :4607: 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I carry both in my saddlebags. You just never know what the weather will dish up. 

You have work to do, Bernie. Word is Kinsley's right side case contains nothing but gloves.

Lesson learned, John! I also carry multiple pairs of gloves with me. But this was my best example of my Bumbling Backroad Rider™ Pedigree this year (and we're not through January yet). Like your ride, I headed out on a low 30 degree day, with full heated gear interconnected. My dedicated heated plug is currently on my old bike, and I was a SAE converter plug on my 10 for my heated gear, converting my tender pigtail. I get about 4 miles down the road, and I'm not feeling any heat - thinking about it, I realized I didn't remember plunging into the bike. I pull over and . . . .  there's just the tender SAE plug! I'd grabbed the converter plug, and then promptly left it in the garage. I had to get across town, and I did not have time to ride back to get it.

So I feel your numbness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My name is Mike and I'm a glove whore...

Typically have three pairs is the bags (summer, winter, and electric) and a set of aerostitch triple digit over gloves.

Ya just never know!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I keep a set of hand warmers and feet warmers on the bike all the time. They work great in a pinch and usually last ~ 8 hours or so

I also have a couple of packs of hand warmers on the bike, but this was more of a problem than I first mentioned, in that another rider in the group had no heated gear at all and was really having a problem, so we stopped at Jacks to get coffee and warm up before continuing.  Fortunately, the fog lifted and temps began to moderate, so we all continued the ride and even removed layers as the day wore on...life is good!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Typically have three pairs is the bags (summer, winter, and electric) and a set of aerostitch triple digit over gloves.

Ya just never know!

Just so you guys don't actually think I'm all that goofy....I had 3 pair of gloves in the bike yesterday....just not the one pair I needed!  :3:

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

Ya just never know!

Oh, I forgot, I have a pair of AeroStich Triple Digit Over gloves in my RoadCrafter pockets. Some times it rains in the south, without sending a notice to the weather jockey.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Ya just never know!

Your only a glove whore if you carry an extra set of both winter and summer gloves just to wear under the triple digit overgloves in the rain.  Said a glove whore.

• Like 2

I also carry in addition to hand warmers, rubber gloves.  You know the thin ones you put on to work in...I've put those on under regular gloves when I've been caught in the rain or unexpected cold.  They help a great deal.

5 mil Nitrile Powder-Free Gloves, 100 Pc. Large Light Blue 68497 alternate photo #1

• Like 1

Ohhh, a glove thread!  Love it.   I also generally carry 3, plus the triple digits: (1) a pair of Held perforated summer Rodney gloves, (2) midweight Lee Parks deerskins (these are the most comfortable and my favorites, with a wide temperature band; and (3) a 10+ year old pair of Held Hawk gloves.  These are outstanding Gore-Tex winter gloves that fit well, are quite dexterous and keep my hands warm down into the 20s.  When the Velcro started to go last summer I looked at replacements, but didn't really like what was out there, so I had the Velcro repaired at a tailor shop.  They are still going strong.  The Aerostich triple digits are good for (1) and (2), but are not necessary for (3).  Have never needed heated gloves, but I like Skywagon's hand warmer idea.  I buy the 10-pack of those for golf and will now throw a pair into my tankbag.

• Like 1
On 1/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, Bernie said:

Oh, I forgot, I have a pair of AeroStich Triple Digit Over gloves in my RoadCrafter pockets. Some times it rains in the south, without sending a notice to the weather jockey.

This.

And, we carried silk glove liners.

These combined add 15 degrees or more.

We always carried touring (x2), rain (x2,), glove liners, overgloves, for both of us.

Need to stay warm, and dry.

• Like 2