IGNORED

Fouled spark plugs and air filter smell like gas

greenrider

Hi

2011 R1200rt I bought last year with 6000km. Now it has 15500km. 

Previous post I mentioned that in the fall I found it had poor lugging power when it was cold till the engine warmed up. 

Now this winter I bought a gs911 and it didn't show any fails except twice there was low voltage and that was because I left the key on and drained the battery. 

So I pulled the spark and they are all fouled up.

And I also checked the air breather and it's not very dirty but has a very strong smell of gas. 

Is this normal at 15500km?

IMG_20200127_194451.jpg

1 hour ago, greenrider said:

Hi

2011 R1200rt I bought last year with 6000km. Now it has 15500km. 

Previous post I mentioned that in the fall I found it had poor lugging power when it was cold till the engine warmed up. 

Now this winter I bought a gs911 and it didn't show any fails except twice there was low voltage and that was because I left the key on and drained the battery. 

So I pulled the spark and they are all fouled up.

And I also checked the air breather and it's not very dirty but has a very strong smell of gas. 

Is this normal at 15500km?

Afternoon greenrider

It depends-- If those are upper spark plugs then definitely not normal.

If the lower spark plugs then it c-o-u-l-d be normal IF the bike is cold idled a lot with no high speed riding.

What spark plugs are those (upper or lower?)

How have you been riding or idling that bike? (explain in detail)

What conditions are you riding in?  

Do both side plugs look the very same?

How much oil does your bike use between oil changes?

The first picture was the bottom plug and this picture is the top plug.

I don't know how the previous owners drove the bike but the first owner from 2011 to 2017 put on 5000km. From 2017 to mid 2019 the second owner put on 1100km. I have records that it was was winterized and stored at the BMW dealer every year 

Then from mid 2019 till fall I put on 9000km. 

Generally I turn the key and go. Don't drive hard till the engine is warm. 

Most of the km are at approx 100km per hour.

I don't drive hard but when riding with other people I realize I'm no slouch either.

I the oil light came on at least twice which I thought was odd. Added over a liter in the 9000 km.

I did ride into the fall close to freezing temps.

Let me know if you have more questions

IMG_20200127_194200.jpg

4 minutes ago, greenrider said:

The first picture was the bottom plug and this picture is the top plug.

I don't know how the previous owners drove the bike but the first owner from 2011 to 2017 put on 5000km. From 2017 to mid 2019 the second owner put on 1100km. I have records that it was was winterized and stored at the BMW dealer every year 

Then from mid 2019 till fall I put on 9000km. 

Generally I turn the key and go. Don't drive hard till the engine is warm. 

Most of the km are at approx 100km per hour.

I don't drive hard but when riding with other people I realize I'm no slouch either.

I the oil light came on at least twice which I thought was odd. Added over a liter in the 9000 km.

I did ride into the fall close to freezing temps.

Let me know if you have more questions

IMG_20200127_194200.jpg

Afternoon greenrider

That upper plug that you pictured shows a LOT erosion on it. Looks like it went over the recommended spark plug change interval. 

Personally I would put 4 new  (correct) spark plugs in that bike then  ride it for a couple of thousand KM's then look a the spark plugs again. 

Some of that lower spark plug fouling was more than likely due to some oil burning. (probably will clear up as you get more KM's on the engine). 

I'm baffled a bit. Why do the lower plugs get beat up more than the uppers and why is the left lower worse than the right until they eventually erode the center electrode to almost nothing?

39 minutes ago, 6speedTi said:

I'm baffled a bit. Why do the lower plugs get beat up more than the uppers and why is the left lower worse than the right until they eventually erode the center electrode to almost nothing?

Afternoon 6speedTi

Lower spark plugs are at the bottom of the cylinders so that is where the oily crud, dripping injectors,  runs to when the engine is shut off. Plus that is the leaner part of the combustion chamber so it tends to knock a little earlier in that lower region.

L/H side is usually worse as that is lowest side with bike parked on the side stand so usually gets more oil into the combustion chamber past the piston rings after shutdown.

30 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon 6speedTi

Lower spark plugs are at the bottom of the cylinders so that is where the oily crud, dripping injectors,  runs to when the engine is shut off. Plus that is the leaner part of the combustion chamber so it tends to knock a little earlier in that lower region.

L/H side is usually worse as that is lowest side with bike parked on the side stand so usually gets more oil into the combustion chamber past the piston rings after shutdown.

Thank you for the explanation. I hardly use the side stand. Only when I get ready to put the bike on the center stand. Amazing how only less than one minute sitting on the sidestand adds up.