IGNORED

Right cylinder wont fire after washing - 2006 RT

Aled Williams

Aled Williams

My bad - I washed the bike but didn't dry it sufficiently. Now the right cylinder wont fire - engine runs on one cylinder with a bit of throttle. I've taken the body panels off and WD40'd all the obvious connections around the cylinder (I'm assuming that it's water in the electrics somewhere).

Is there a specific 'culprit' that I should investigate/dry out? I'm new to this bike (2006 RT) so still finding my way around it.

Many thanks, Aled

38 minutes ago, Aled Williams said:

My bad - I washed the bike but didn't dry it sufficiently. Now the right cylinder wont fire - engine runs on one cylinder with a bit of throttle. I've taken the body panels off and WD40'd all the obvious connections around the cylinder (I'm assuming that it's water in the electrics somewhere).

Is there a specific 'culprit' that I should investigate/dry out? I'm new to this bike (2006 RT) so still finding my way around it.

Many thanks, Aled

Afternoon Aled

You definitely got something wet. 

Do both side exhaust pipes get hot, or one side hot & the other side warm,  or one side  completely cold?

It's very unusual to wet out BOTH upper & lower spark plugs on the same cylinder so there might something else  going on.

If you have a gas or electric leaf blower try removing the  plastic upper spark plug cover then blowing the spark plug well out with the high speed air from the leaf blower (that usually dries the spark plug area out).

If you can get it running on both side cylinders then the engine heat from running will usually dry the lower spark plug area out. 

Aled Williams

Thanks for your reply dirtrider, much appreciated - one side hot, the other cold - I'll apply the air/heat treatment as you suggest tomorrow morning. 

2 minutes ago, Aled Williams said:

Thanks for your reply dirtrider, much appreciated - one side hot, the other cold - I'll apply the air/heat treatment as you suggest tomorrow morning. 

Afternoon Aled

If drying the spark plug area out doesn't help then maybe look a your R/H throttle body to make sure that the plastic cable cam hasn't  disintegrated & fallen apart.   

22 hours ago, Aled Williams said:

Many thanks, Aled

See signature

giphy.webp?cid=790b7611fcb0b2a56f4b7c8fb

I used to own a self serve car wash.  I had signs that said don't wash motorcycle engine with the high pressure wand.

Lots of motorcycle wouldn't start afterwards.

They were usually fine after everything dried out.

Aled Williams

Guys, guys, guys! Hold up!

The bike really needed a clean. (Seven and a half hour ride on wintry UK roads)

And the frustrating thing is, I only used a bucket and brush.

Love the bike tho...

2020-01-25 003.JPG

1 hour ago, Aled Williams said:

Guys, guys, guys! Hold up!

The bike really needed a clean. (Seven and a half hour ride on wintry UK roads)

And the frustrating thing is, I only used a bucket and brush.

Love the bike tho...

2020-01-25 003.JPG

The natural rain woulda took care of that,......just give it time :grin:

• Haha 2
Aled Williams

Wahey! Happy days...

The bike started tonight and ran fine - phew!

Thank you all for your support and encouragement, I'm sure I'll be back with more inane questions. I'll never wash the bike again... 

• Like 3

It's ok to wash it, just don't blast it with the hose. I use a gentle flower sprinkler nozzle on the end of the hose that allows the water to cascade over the bike, rather than a pressure washer style of nozzle. Even using a hose with no nozzle works. This method also cuts down on water spots.