IGNORED

WTB R1150RT/R1200RT (and he found one)

pappavol

I traded my 2017 R1200GSA in August and went to an R9T Scrambler that I love. I recently purchased a 2005 K1200LT that I have determined is bigger than I would like. So now I have turned my focus to an inexpensive R1150RT. Basically I am looking for something for the wife and I to ride and that I would feel comfortable doing some commuting on. I've got a budget of 3k for the 1150. I could up that for the right bike. I live in Middle TN and I am willing to travel as long as I can get there and back in a day. If you know of something or have something let me know. 

Just my opinion - I would try to find the R1200 RT rather than the R1150.  Big improvements and changed the iABS which is a lot of maintenance, aside from the failure issues.  Personally, you could easily find an R1100RT in your price range. If well maintained, the R1100RT will just keep going.

WimbledonRider

I have an 2002 R1150RT White that I converted from a RTP recently. In pretty good shape, some fairing cracks. Runs strong, see my ad on this forum

Wimbledon Rider.

Please call me at 2513915718 to discuss.

1 hour ago, WimbledonRider said:

I have an 2002 R1150RT White that I converted from a RTP recently. In pretty good shape, some fairing cracks. Runs strong, see my ad on this forum

Wimbledon Rider.

Please call me at 2513915718 to discuss.

Sorry not really interested in the police models TY though. 

WimbledonRider

It is not a police model anymore, I converted it to a two seater. You cant tell that it was a police model. plus the police models have a larger alternator.

There are quite a few 1150s out there. I’ve got my eye on two right now. 

2003 49,000 side bags looks clean all original. 

2004 43,000 side bags, top case and Sargent seats from and rear  $3,200.

i also found a 2007 r1200rt in MS for $3900 but the add is saying the ABS light is on, 

ED567195-76A5-4BAA-8804-3998F3C8740F.jpeg

I’m going to drive up and look at the silver 04 tomorrow. Is there anything that I should be looking for outside of the obvious. 

I looked at an 08 today, I know these are supposed to be better. Not this one, it had ABS issues, fuel strip was out, and the plastics on the tank almost looked warped. I wasn’t impressed with it. 

If you're not afraid of a little mileage, this one has been for sale a while now. I realize it's above your stated budget but night & day difference between what you're looking at and this. Offer them $8,000 bucks. :dontknow:

2015 RT

00D0D_2oZlaTM5xMo_600x450.jpg

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

If you're not afraid of a little mileage, this one has been for sale a while now. I realize it's above your stated budget but night & day difference between what you're looking at and this. Offer them $8,000 bucks. :dontknow:

2015 RT

Yea a little to rich for me. This will be a second bike for me. I have the new R9T that hasn’t turned 2k yet as well. Got to keep it cheap. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

2015 RT

Be leery of this one. In the description section it states it’s a single cylinder. Never cared for the old thumper boxer motors, they could never get the “pull to the left” sorted out. Don’t even get me started on the engine balance woes...😳

2 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Be leery of this one. In the description section it states it’s a single cylinder. Never cared for the old thumper boxer motors, they could never get the “pull to the left” sorted out...😳

An Amputee Boxer? :spittake: Missed that but easy enough to figure out, phone number available. ;)

I have a 2004 1150Rt that I am about to put up for sale. It has a lot of miles but has been maintained at BMW of ATL and they have the complete service history.  If anything was ever wrong with it, it was fixed by them.  Bike is silver with a lot of upgrades, looks excellent for a bike with this many miles.  Just had a complete service done by them last week and had the fuel lines and quick disconnects under the tank replace at the same time due to their age.  I will take $2,400 firm for it.  If you are interested I will post or send you some pictures.

3 hours ago, APDDave said:

I have a 2004 1150Rt that I am about to put up for sale. It has a lot of miles but has been maintained at BMW of ATL and they have the complete service history.  If anything was ever wrong with it, it was fixed by them.  Bike is silver with a lot of upgrades, looks excellent for a bike with this many miles.  Just had a complete service done by them last week and had the fuel lines and quick disconnects under the tank replace at the same time due to their age.  I will take $2,400 firm for it.  If you are interested I will post or send you some pictures.

Dang just saw this. on my way home with one now. Just curious what’s a lot of miles. 

Thinks for the input from everyone. I decided to take a chance on a 2004 R1150RT from MO. I drove up today and spent quite a bit of time going over it. I rode it for about 45 min. I would have went longer but didn’t have the gear for the frigid temperatures. I checked the rear wheel, oil site glass, battery, compression, the owner had service records that included a service in the last six months. The most recent service included a valve adjustment, brake flush, and fluid change. ABS seems to work good.The tires have a lot of left. It also has a Sergant front and rear seat.  The body and plastics look almost like new. Prettying amazing for a bike with 43,000 on it. I ended up bringing it home for $2800. I think I did ok. 

23B1F422-B079-4B08-81E8-4AE2EC7F16B1.jpeg

• Like 1

you didn't do OK...you did great!.  Careful with those front brakes while going slow and turning..  It is easy for them to assist you in dropping the bike.

By the way....I can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks like that lower panel below the engine is not on correctly.  There is a tab that looks like it is sticking out.  I can't remember exactly as has been a few years but I believe that tab is recessed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

you didn't do OK...you did great!.  Careful with those front brakes while going slow and turning..  It is easy for them to assist you in dropping the bike.

By the way....I can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks like that lower panel below the engine is not on correctly.  There is a tab that looks like it is sticking out.  I can't remember exactly as has been a few years but I believe that tab is recessed.

Good eye Skywagon I thought something looked amiss. 

19 hours ago, pappavol said:

i will check it out, thanks guys 

I wonder if I can find OEM stickers or it, I look the clean look but I like OEM better,

You can find the stickers (not from BMW) through some Ebay vendors for much cheaper unless you want to go the OEM route.   Congrats on the purchase.  Looks great. 

Cheers

Tush

Papoval, Nice bike and a great deal. You the guy with the sunglasses or the cap?If you do your own maintenance, in addition to the excellent and helpful advice you will get on this forum, I have found the Chris Harris and IllinoisBMWriders on YouTube have a lot of relevant maintenance videos.  Best Miguel

4 minutes ago, Miguel! said:

Papoval, Nice bike and a great deal. You the guy with the sunglasses or the cap?If you do your own maintenance, in addition to the excellent and helpful advice you will get on this forum, I have found the Chris Harris and IllinoisBMWriders on YouTube have a lot of relevant maintenance videos.  Best Miguel

The hat, thanks for the info, I’m going to start with the obvious alternator belt check, change all fluids, bleed brakes, cam chain tensioner upgrade, air filter, etc. It’s cold and wet so nothing else to do. Piece of mind when it’s time. 

That's a killer deal. The 1150's in my opinion are the apex of body design for the RT's. My wife has one, I have a 1200, and the transformer look of the 1200 will always pale in comparison.

If you have verified service records of all fluids changed within the last six months, I wouldn't do that over until next fall.

I so agree with Shane J. and Rinkydink on the beauty of the 1150.  It is a gorgeous sculpture. 

The performance of my 2018 RT is so much better than the 1150 in most every way.  However, my wife has reminded me, "At least you don't go sit next to the motorcycle in the garage at night with a glass of wine and a candle like you did with the pretty silver one" :-).  Our pup likes both, even at 14 years apart.

IMG_4406.thumb.JPG.c3586ee2c8eddafbf5cd2aa209bc5358.JPG

I

1IMG_3919.thumb.JPG.4c92d0357c8c5923d8e58b2e5e96e181.JPG

4 hours ago, BendBill said:

I so agree with Shane J. and Rinkydink on the beauty of the 1150.  It is a gorgeous sculpture. 

The performance of my 2018 RT is so much better than the 1150 in most every way.  However, my wife has reminded me, "At least you don't go sit next to the motorcycle in the garage at night with a glass of wine and a candle like you did with the pretty silver one" :-).  Our pup likes both, even at 14 years apart.

IMG_4406.thumb.JPG.c3586ee2c8eddafbf5cd2aa209bc5358.JPG

I

1IMG_3919.thumb.JPG.4c92d0357c8c5923d8e58b2e5e96e181.JPG

You gotta be careful with those mistresses!  LOL

On 1/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, Rinkydink said:

So I took the bottom Tupperware off all the tabs appear to be in the right place. 

1 hour ago, pappavol said:

So I took the bottom Tupperware off all the tabs appear to be in the right place. 

It’s been 11 years since I had my 1150 RT but I thought the tab shown goes on the inside. And you have my dog, Brady. 

2C9E6D8E-DCAF-404A-90C5-C51B6DF5B911.jpeg

A02CF3DF-8CBD-4381-BC28-39760DD4BD9A.jpeg

986596B5-F6E5-4992-BE83-84F62C82870C.jpeg

Well I spent most of the evening going through the bike. I pulled all the Tupperware  off, and was pleasantly surprised at what I found. Alternator belt looks new, new K&N air filter, what appeared to be fresh spark plugs. Ohlins front and rear shocks, what looks to be fresh fork seals, not a scratch on the wheels, brand new front tire. I would say 75% rear tire, the cleanest fuse box I’ve ever seen on a bike this age. Brake pads look great, 6 month old battery, upgraded cam tensioner, bearings on both wheels have no play, both wheels turn freely with no friction or grinding, the center stand looks brand new. New windshield, new headlight cover, very clean exhaust with no signs of rust. I think this might be the cleanest 44,000 mile RT in America, The dude that owned this before me may be more anal than I am, I didn’t think that was possible.

i guess I will order braided brake lines, and go ahead a dump all the fluids and put fresh in tomorrow. 

I plan to run 20/50 non synthetic Motul, 

I will Probably  run Motul in the final drive and gear box as well. I have had good luck with it. Thoughts? 

755154F4-C55B-496A-983C-09DC801421E8.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Ok, I stand corrected...but it still doesn’t look right. 

BDDDE413-E655-4496-AD01-A271DE88AC35.jpeg

I agree I played with it forever trying to make it look better, I did not prevail. God thing it’s only really noticeable on the side stand. 

I never noticed those tabs on my 03 Biarritz Blue RT. :dontknow: Oh yeah, I was told that they (BMW) cleaned up the lines on the faster color RTs'. Now there's an old BMWST joke for ya! :D 

• Like 1

THere's another tab that looks like the fit and finish could be a bit tighter on my R1100RT between the side fairing and front fairing - about 1 o'clock from the BMW emblem below. Its not too obvious in the whole view of the bike but I notice it. 

Interestingly, the tab you are talking about on the 1150 bottom fairing is pretty much invisible on the (my) 1100. 

Best

Miguel

Screen Shot 2020-01-25 at 10.01.59 AM.png

I've discovered that I can make the fit a little bit better by doing these two things:

1. When installing the side panels push them up at the front end so that tab goes completely into its slot and closes up that seam, then hold it in place while tightening down the screw inside the nose of the fairing
  2. When installing the very bottom piece (not sure if it has a proper name) start all four screws then push the piece up to close up the seam and hold it there while tightening the screws

On 1/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, Rinkydink said:

I replaced the two Allen screws with Phillips head screws, it makes so much easier to tighten while applying upward pressure to the fairing. 

Well it’s official, l love it. Ran a tank of fuel through it today, it was 42 and damp but I enjoyed it so much I didn’t realize I was cold until I got home. Idling and surging had me worried at first but the more I rode it the better it ran. It’s super comfortable and much smoother than what I’m used to. Now I just need a sunny day above 69 so the wife can try it out. 

• Like 1

It leveled out after the ride yesterday, I did a valve adjustment. I may just need to idle it slightly. 

I started It twice yesterday after it cooled down. Both times was much better. Idling about 900 RPM. 

1 hour ago, AndyS said:

Have you done a throttle body balance now that the valves have been set?

So it looks simple enough, I am going to order a tool and do it this weekend.