IGNORED

Klim Airbag Vest

MikeB60

Klim is in the process of releasing an airbag vest.  No tethering, has a magic box on the back of the vest for deployment. Its also designed for wear under the riding jacket.  Looks like the price will be around 400 dollars. 

I've worn a Helite for close to three years definitely like the concept of a under the jacket vest but not sure how comfortable it would be once the furnace kicks on in the southeast. Here is a link

I just got a flyer from RevZilla for one from Dainese.  It's sounds similar...no tether, computer sensed...It's $700 and to have it recharged is $300.... I'm not sure if you actually had a crash if you would want to recharge or not, but $300 seems really hefty.  It's battery driven so you have to keep it charged.  It can't be charged while riding.

If Klim vest is of Klim quality and $499 that will be really interesting.

Thanks for sharing Mike.   The "quick start" guide seems to imply that the vest is activated via bluetooth pairing with a cell phone app.....hmmmmm  If that's the case, although I don't have an inflating vest, I'd prefer the tether.  And based on the number of times I get off the bike without unplugging my heated vest pigtail, I'd be inflating the tethered vest a lot!  :3:

There have been not tether air bags out for a while. Racers use them most I think. Complicated. Recharging/filling after a crash means sending them back from what I have read. Convenient yes. Complicated yes. KISS is for me as the tethers battery doesn't run out. As long as you remember to connect it!

I would think an under jacket style would be compromised at how much area it can cover and protect. The biggest selling point for me on the Helite is how it could protect the neck area. That might be less doable with the under jacket style. Or not, I am speaking from ignorance about that point with them.

• Like 1
On 1/20/2020 at 7:03 AM, bimmer2 said:

Thanks for sharing Mike.   The "quick start" guide seems to imply that the vest is activated via bluetooth pairing with a cell phone app.....hmmmmm  If that's the case, although I don't have an inflating vest, I'd prefer the tether.  And based on the number of times I get off the bike without unplugging my heated vest pigtail, I'd be inflating the tethered vest a lot!  :3:

I've forgotten the odd time to disconnect the tether and I have to admit to a tip over in a parking lot and the Helite has yet to inflate.

I've forgotten the odd time to disconnect the tether and I have to admit to once a tip over in a parking lot and the Helite has yet to inflate. It requires quite a force to activate the vest.

Alpinestars has their airbag vest system for $800. No leash. Rechargeable battery with 25 hours life before recharging. Must use with specific Alpinestars jackets. I didn’t see information regarding cost of new cartridges or if you can self service it or have to send in. Also it has “wings” that cover the tops of the shoulders. Being attached to the inside of the jacket, it doesn’t seem to provide neck stability/protection like a Helite vest can. It says it has mesh in its construction but I would imagine it limits ventilation. 

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-street-airbag-system

I wear a Motoport mesh jacket and pants with the Helite vest. I took out the Motoport chest and back protector pads since the Helite vest provides protection in those areas and ventilation is about the same as before I got the Helite vest. Since I also use a Warm n Safe electric shirt, I’m comfortable clipping in and out when I get on and off my bike. It’s just part of my routine. 

But it’s always nice to have options so I thought I’d let people know about the Alpinestars system. 

I’m glad to see the development of competition in these products. Personally, I’m still sold on Helite, after my son was rear- ended by a Harley, thrown forward, doing a face and chest plant onto the pavement, and escaped completely uninjured

On 1/26/2020 at 11:36 PM, Paul4450 said:

Alpinestars has their airbag vest system for $800. No leash. Rechargeable battery with 25 hours life before recharging. Must use with specific Alpinestars jackets. I didn’t see information regarding cost of new cartridges or if you can self service it or have to send in. Also it has “wings” that cover the tops of the shoulders. Being attached to the inside of the jacket, it doesn’t seem to provide neck stability/protection like a Helite vest can. It says it has mesh in its construction but I would imagine it limits ventilation. 

https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air-street-airbag-system

I wear a Motoport mesh jacket and pants with the Helite vest. I took out the Motoport chest and back protector pads since the Helite vest provides protection in those areas and ventilation is about the same as before I got the Helite vest. Since I also use a Warm n Safe electric shirt, I’m comfortable clipping in and out when I get on and off my bike. It’s just part of my routine. 

But it’s always nice to have options so I thought I’d let people know about the Alpinestars system. 

I watched a dealer video on the Alpinestars vest, and there was a manufacturer's rep on that video.  He said that the vest had to be sent back to Alpinestars (in California) to be re-furbished, after it's been inflated.  The cost was $300, and turn-around was about one week after they receive it from the owner.