IGNORED

Stripped Cylinder Cover Screw

ncsonderman

ncsonderman

Well I've done it. Both my first valve adjustment (went great!), and my first stripped cylinder cover screw smirk.gif.

I know, I know... dopeslap.gifI was warned about overtightening the damn things. I glanced at the wrong torque value in the manual when putting the cover back on and set the wrench at 20Nm. Could have been the liquid refreshments or the lack of sleep getting to me. Probably just haste. Three of the four will still set at 8Nm but the lower front will not.

The questions that I have revolve around fixing the strip. I've run a search on helicoils and come up empty. The screw is not free spinning, but probably will vibrate quite loose when the engine is running.

Can I ride with this problem? How far/hard?

Any estimates on dealer charges frown.gif to fix this?

Is there anyone close enough to Winston-Salem to give me a good smack accross the face? crazy.gif

I've learned enough not to do this again though.

oh, don't worry this is a common mistake grin.gif, don't ask me how I know!

Forget the dealer...just go and get yourself a helicoil kit (Autozone has them...?) If I remember it is the 6.0mm X 1 size. Easy to install, just make sure to shield the area when you drill so you dont get any metal flakes thrown into the works. First measure the depth of the current hole and mark the bit so you dont overdrill. Use lots of oil, it will catch most of the flakes on the drill bit, then use q-tip soaked in oil, dental instrument, etc to clean out the hole.

Then use the tap provided with the kit (slow goes it...)to tap the hole and insert the helicoil with the provided tool. Break off the tang and your good to go! Big things are to go slow, make sure the drill and tap are properly aligned. Good luck!

In the future, just tweak the screw after it bottoms out...

ncsonderman

Thanks for the words of comfort!

I still need slapped since I was using a torque wrench and just looked at the wrong torque value. You know the old saying: "Haste makes a couple trips to Autozone" or something like that tongue.gif.

This isn't as bad as the time that I cracked my oilpan on my CBR600F2 while prepping the night before a couple of track days at Nelson's Ledges. I overtightened the oil drain plug that time. Doh! dopeslap.gif

Juan_in_a_million
oh, don't worry this is a common mistake ... If I remember it is the 6.0mm X 1 size.

That's is correct. 6mm 1mm pitch. Pep Boys also have them.

As said before don't feel too bad. After you install the helicoil you will have a more substantial fastener than before.

Some people systematically replace all aluminum low diameter threads with helicoil directly.

Juan Antonio

some additional items from my experience

the length of the helicoil is different. for example I think the Pep Boys is 6mm long. The NAPA is 9mm, and the best (in my opinion) Mcmasters is 12mm long. If you use either the 9mm or 12mm length helicoil you can just bottom out the helicoil and not worry about breaking off the tang.

As noted above I have replaced all 4 on one side and used the 12mm length items and it has been great.

I have a pep boys kit, a NAPA kit, and the McMasters helicoil items. Overall I have liked the combination of the NAPA kit, with the longer 12mm Mcmaster items. that combination has been the best for me.

DavidEBSmith

The mechanics around here prefer Time-Serts to Heli-Coils for this repair because the Time-Sert is a solid bushing, although they're harder to find than Heli-Coils.

ncsonderman

This is the step that I didn't watch at the Atlanta Tech Day in Chris' building. Just think of the knowledge that I'll be passing on the next time around grin.gif!

Thanks for the advice Randy. wave.gif

ncsonderman

David,

I'll take a look for them. They look like a great option to use. I'll be happy with whatever I get my paws on quickly thumbsup.gif.

Have you ever heard of an Apple pancake from Walkers?

There was a blurb about them in last months Playboy. Tasty! Oh, yes, so are the pancakes grin.gif!

The mechanics around here prefer Time-Serts to Heli-Coils for this repair because the Time-Sert is a solid bushing, although they're harder to find than Heli-Coils.

From experience I would soooooooooo recomend this over helicoils..

They're not hard to find. If you have trouble finding them PM me and I'll help you out.

I did the same thing you did-misread the tourque spec.I would recommend putting grease on the drill bit to catch the metal pieces. Worked great for me. The hardest part is

getting over the uneasiness of actually drilling out the hole.

Don't forget to use a bit of oil on the tap when you are tapping with the Helioil tap.

The procedure is to line the tap up straight, then go in enough to ensure the tap is not wobbly (a couple of turns or so) then after that, back off the tap a half turn to break the chips, for every turn or so that you screw it in. If you don't break the chips in this way, the tap can become progressively harder and harder to turn, and you risk messing up the tapped threads. The tap should go in relatively easy.... remember, broken taps are a real pain to extract!

Also, keep an eye on the thing when you are tapping, to ensure it continues to go in straight.

Bob.

Heli-coils? Dang we're only talking about taking an 8 Nm bite here. Sure you want to risk sending a steel bit into an Al cylinder for 8Nm?

NAPA sells a 3-part "Stripped Bolt Repair Kit" that will give you your threads back and easily take 8Nm of torque.

My two senses...

Bob

ncsonderman

I'm going to try and find the time certs. I was unable to purchase any heli coils at either O'Reilly or Advance auto stores. I guess that I haven't tried autozone yet.

This weekend looked so nice to ride too! bncry.gif

Heli-coils? Dang we're only talking about taking an 8 Nm bite here. Sure you want to risk sending a steel bit into an Al cylinder for 8Nm?

NAPA sells a 3-part "Stripped Bolt Repair Kit" that will give you your threads back and easily take 8Nm of torque.

It's not like tapping a hole in aluminum requires any real talent!

Bob.

If you go to Timesert

Web Site and call them they will sell and ship to you.

DaveMac

Really? I had to go through 3rd party in California...still got the kit in 2 days. You must be more charming grin.gif

ncsonderman

Nothing at the local Harbor Freight store.

Ordered the M6 x 1.0 Kit and Tap Guide from Time Cert just now. Kit includes 5 inserts at 12mm long and all the goodies to put it in. Including UPS 2nd day air I'm only out about $80.

I should be back on the road next Wednesday.

Maybe I should hit the treadmill this weekend so it will feel like I've picked up a couple of horsepower on the RT grin.gif!

Maybe I should hit the treadmill this weekend so it will feel like I've picked up a couple of horsepower on the RT !

LOL

Good job!

And, I second what Beemeroil said, Welcome to the club!! thumbsup.gif

Wanna do a spine lube next? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifgrin.gif

Really? I had to go through 3rd party in California...still got the kit in 2 days. You must be more charming grin.gif

Im a Real Jem You don't even know wink.gifgrin.gif

ncsonderman

I got my time certs on Tuesday and finally got time to do it on Friday (before celebrating cinqo de mayo). The process could not have been easier! thumbsup.gif Just have to make sure that your tap wrench has enough neck to clear the valve cartridge.

The bike is definately smoother than when the dealer took care of it. clap.gif I can't wait to do another adjustment.

Only problem is now I've noticed that I have a small fuel leak from the intake line. It looks to be just a problem with the hose. I'll get it worked out.

Next project please! grin.gif

ncsonderman

Thanks for suggesting the time certs, they are great! I ended up using a bunch of Q-tips to clean out the shavings. I also used a cutting oil which kept the shaving tacky. After the retap, I used compressed air to blow out debris (I held an index card strategically blocking the valves).

Cant't wait to do it again! Wait, what the hell am I thinking dopeslap.gif I'll always remember the torque value now!

psyctrance

Just did mine yesterday as well, piece of cake. Checking the valve adjustment took longer which fortunatley didn't need any adjustment. The bike has 92K on it so things have likely take a set.

Archived