IGNORED

2000 K1200Lt

Super Sabre

Hey all I;m brand new to this forum but not bikes in general. My VERY good brother has offered me his 2000 K1200Lt. I think it has 60,000+ on the clock and needs {minor} repairs. Needless to say I'll probably be buggin you all some as time goes on. I won't be going to Nashville to get it until the 25th. of this month. I'm super stocked and will keep you guy's posted.

That’s a solid bike - good for lots and lots of highway miles when running well :)

My family and I bought one a few years ago for a little trip and put about 40,000 miles on it running around the country. 

What’s wrong with the one you’re picking up? The body work and such can be a hassle when doing repairs and maintenance, but once you’re used to that it’s not so bad. 

ps - you can see some pics of ours here 

Or here

https://advrider.com/f/threads/bakery-quest-a-year-hacking-the-us-with-our-kid-and-dogs.1180951/

Don't know if much is wrong with it. He said it smokes on startup but that they all do that. He also said he's itching for a Triumph rocket and doesn't think it's worth the Hassel of tradiing it in. That suits me just fine and he didn't have to ask me twice. I have a Honda Magna and a Shadow but the long trips really hurt so I'm hoping this will be more comfortable on long rides.

It will smoke less - probably - if you park it on the center stand instead of the side stand, but even then the crankcase is vented into the throttle bodies, so you’ll still get some burning oil that way. 

Post some pics when you get it -

and if you’ve got any questions don’t be afraid to ask. 

Hey guy's i did talk to my brother who is giving me the bike and he says it smokes all the time but did'nt say how badly. I asked if there was any water in oil or any coolant loss. He answered no to both of those questions but did say he thinks he may have overfilled it on oil when doing last oil change. Aside from him possibly (i doubt it) using wrong oil could slightly overfilling it with oil cause continual smoking? I don't think he would overfill it by much as he's a stickler for maintenance. Just trying to do some armchair diagnosis before i actually get the bike. Thanks in advance for replies.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got bike, my brother got sick so we had to postpone it a week. I absolutely love this thing. Took it about 50 miles and everything works except stereo. Or maybe I just don't know how to use it. Gonna have to get some owners/service manuals. Hope pics post well.

IMG_20200203_103307756.jpg

IMG_20200203_103245487_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200203_103258131_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200203_103236919.jpg

• Like 1

If you take the stereo out of the “glove box” area you will have a pretty large storage area there - it’s a bit of a hassle, but not too bad. If you also have the cd changer in the sidecase you can make some good storage room there too - a Bluetooth headset and a cell phone will get you better sound than you’d have from the speakers anyway. 

edit:

you seem to be missing black plastic covers for the tip over bars - I wonder if your bro had some highway pegs or lights mounted there at some point...

Yes I have the covers. We removed them to use additional straps for trailering. I should have put em on but was too anxious to ride. LOL. I also think your dead on about the stereo. I wondered how well you could hear it with all the road and wind noise. The adjustable windscreen helps some. How do you check oil? I forgot to ask my bro.. I did see a sight window. Also the smoking issue cleared totally up after about 5 miles. In think it suffers from low usage.

Oil level should be at the middle of that sight glass - checked on the center stand. A flashlight helps to see in there clearly, and a right angle funnel helps to top off/ fill the oil. If you are going to add oil, be sure to give it time to settle after a ride (ten minutes or so on the center stand) before you decide it’s low. If it is low, add a little at a time - I believe the difference between the bottom and top of that window is about four ounces oil, and if you overfill you’re going to get even more smoke :)

Excuse the rotated images, but this is what comes out of the radio compartment up top, and the space you’re left with when it’s gone. 

5966C059-F62A-495F-BD47-B6E098946AFF.thumb.jpeg.e0904b7bcd92f542a74e4ede1e59b3d0.jpeg2961CFF7-3244-423C-9DC0-16B1C21FE9E2.thumb.jpeg.1956405ddf3df5a0128c888cb96acdbc.jpeg

Holy cow, you weren't kidding. That makes a whole storage area. Man you guy's are great and I'm thrilled to be a BMW rider. I absolutely love the way it runs/ rides.

• Like 1

Many parts for this bike are available from after market sources. A good one is Euromotoelectric. Also beemer boneyard. As you said, pick up a clymer's manual for your bike, it will be a big help. Schedule in a brake line change out at some point.One of the failure points of a bike this old are the rubber brake lines.  They tend to flake off inside and plug the line like a check valve.

https://spieglerusa.com/brakes/brake-lines-accessories-tools/cycle-brake-line-kits.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA-P7xBRAvEiwAow-VaazT3_SLwOXIcC1ZXdo3d7okIVGhK07iL1O1sHUs8m2Q5a3sktxOpRoCPLgQAvD_BwE

Great looking bike. Another source for information is:   https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/

You have entered a whole new world of motorcycling.

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 12:24 AM, szurszewski said:

It will smoke less - probably - if you park it on the center stand instead of the side stand, but even then the crankcase is vented into the throttle bodies, so you’ll still get some burning oil that way. 

Post some pics when you get it -

and if you’ve got any questions don’t be afraid to ask. 

I found that if you don't want to put it on center, after you cut the engine just stand there with the bike upright for about 30-45 sec which lets most of the oil drain back to crankcase smoking is not near as bad, if any....

I learned all I know about the LT here...

https://www.bmwlt.com/

New to this place, ran across it when doing some research for my next buy 2015-18 RT...what I've seen I like. !!!!

Super Sabre

Thank you. I'll definately try that. My Brother gave me this bike and like a idiot i went off and forgot to get the electric hydraulic centerstand unit he bought but he never got around to installing. I guess its a real pain to install but i feel it will be worth it.

szurszewski

Do you have a problem getting the bike onto the manual center stand? I have used both and prefer the manual stand - easy to use, not as much of a hassle to change the trans oil, and generally less weight/less stuff to break. 

But if you do have trouble using the manual stand, the do work well. 

Super Sabre

I had a accident in 2015 that left my right arm partially paralyzed so I can't quite get it on center stand. My brother comes back home usually every summer and promised to bring auto center stand when he does. That should definitely clear the smoking on startup. You know the bike does seem to be getting better with time. It sat so long the fuel turned bad.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:37 PM, Super Sabre said:

One of my major gripes about the LT was the top heavyness, so I removed the top case(think it weights 38lbs) and went with what is call a Ft. Worth rack. With the case removed the center of gravity is lowered ergo handling is so much better plus it's more steady at slow speeds. To me you get more bang for travel stuff with dry bags

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_3226_LI.jpg

DSCF1259_edited.JPG

Super Sabre

Looks great!!! I do use mine as a grocery getter so it has to earn it's keep. Can't haul too much toilet paper though. LOL