IGNORED

NEXX X.VILITUR Latitude Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

NEXX X.VILITUR Latitude Helmet intro

It’s rare to find a motorcycling product that’s both designed and manufactured in Europe, especially when it comes to helmets. The Nexx X.VILITUR Latitude (I have no idea what the name means) hails from Portugal and is a mid-priced lid that comes loaded with features along with a build quality usually found on higher end specimens. The materials and quality used all nicely come together in this well-thought-out package.

When it comes to ventilation, everything from the closable air vents to the exhaust ports are a plus to this DOT-approved helmet. Air intakes are typically placed with one at the muzzle that diverts fresh air into the inside of the face shield, and another just above the forehead that’ll keep your noggin cool on hot days. To ensure the air is flowing, there are two closable exhaust ports on either obliques of the rear helmet section that act as a vacuum to draw out unwanted heat.

Nexx XVILITUR Helmet Sun visor

Inside the faceshield you’ll find the Pinlock-ready anti-fogging system that does the job and is also standard equipment on the higher end helmets.

The latch to unlock the faceshield is easy to find and manipulate as well as articulate the shield upwards. It has a positive locking end position to ensure the faceshield won’t shift when it’s left open. And when open, it didn’t obstruct my field of view.

Nexx XVILITUR Helmet buckleThe chin strap is the easy-to-use ratchet type. Either you like this style or you don’t. I prefer it because it works particularly well with gloved hands.

Another useful feature is the internal drop-down sun visor. It’s easy to deploy and retract and the tint seems to be perfect for even the sunniest days.

The X-MATRIX shell (multi-axial fiberglass, 3D organic fibers, special aramid fibers and carbon reinforcement) comes in three shell size ranges: XS-S, M-L and XL-XXXL, so finding one that fits your head shouldn’t be a problem. The internal padding is comfortable to wear all day and is easily removable when it’s time to give it a washing. And the helmet has a design feature that I’ve never seen before: loop straps that aid in pulling on this 3.9 lb. helmet.

As far as helmet noise, Nexx uses a specially developed rubber seal around the mask and the shield to obtain optimum acoustic Isolation. The result is a pretty quiet internal atmosphere while riding at typical speeds.

As an option, a “plug ’n play” comm system is available that “hides” in the helmet. I believe is compatible with SENA’s comm systems.

Overall, you get a quality European modular helmet with many features you’d only find on more expensive helmets—but for an affordable price.

Be sure to check out the various graphics they offer as well as the lighter Carbon Fiber version that comes in at about another $180 more but weighs only 3.4 lb.

NEXXNorthAmerica.com

MSRP: $549.95

PROS:

• High quality components
• High end features at a reasonable price
• Stylish yet DOT and ECE/22-05 compliant

CONS:

• This modular helmet Is not offered with a peak visorbDZ1lOwfan0

View the full article