IGNORED

Oil filter?

camo4stealth

As the owner of a new 1250 RS, I am going to need an oil change in the relatively near future. Rather than pay the dealer for a filter, (I can imagine they want $30 for one), does anyone know of a filter from an aftermarket source? Thanks if you know.   

Hi camo4stealth.

Not sure what you mean. If you look online you will find many aftermarket oil filters ranging from less than £5 upwards. Around £15 for the genuine BMW oil filter.

Beemer Boneyard sells the same brand your dealer is likely using.  Mahle.  Might as well pick up a jug of Liquid Molly oil as well from BB.  Put in your BMWST coupon code too.

I get mine (Mahle) off Amazon

Note: This the one I use for my Camhead. Yours might be a different part number. The link is just to show that their price is very reasonable.

I too get mine from Beemer Boneyard.  $43.95 for 4 OC619 filters then I get a nice discount being an MOA member, see BMW ON for details.  They offer crash washers at good prices too (4/$2.50). 

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a friend who's working on his camhead, next to a wethead. LOL They're the same size approximately but the pattern is different. 

I use a pair of filter pliers from CT to remove mine. It's easily accessed on the left hand side of the engine.

1165655293_WhatsAppImage2020-01-26at15_27_08.thumb.jpeg.495fa43aea42f7f9cd5d9fae068e4f58.jpeg346632324_WhatsAppImage2020-01-26at15_26_55.thumb.jpeg.b2bca65f62a818104637f469778248bd.jpeg

17 hours ago, PatM said:

I asked a friend who's working on his camhead, next to a wethead. LOL They're the same size approximately but the pattern is different. 

I use a pair of filter pliers from CT to remove mine. It's easily accessed on the left hand side of the engine.

They may look the same but they have different part numbers. 

They are different.

18 hours ago, Dann said:

Will the oil filter wrench for my Hexhead work for the R1250RT filter?

No.  When I went from the hexhead to wethead, I bought the 4 filters plus wrench kit from BBY.

14 hours ago, AndyS said:

They may look the same but they have different part numbers. 

They are different.

Of course they're different. If you look at the pics, you can clearly see the different part numbers.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:23 AM, PadG said:

No.  When I went from the hexhead to wethead, I bought the 4 filters plus wrench kit from BBY.

That's what I'll do when the time comes.

• 1 year later...