IGNORED

Ebony Metallic Paint Code and Availability

Veefore

So I'm at a bit of a loss.  After inquiring about touch up paint at my dealer for my 15' Ebony metallic RT they told me BMW doesn't offer touch up and pointed me towards Color Rite....no dice, they don't offer it either.  I thought I saw the code was NC9 and found a company called paint scratch that had it......it came today and no dice, this is dark grey metallic. Any thoughts?

It might not hurt to put a small streak on some plastic, just to see what color it actually dries out to.  I've put some paint on the walls before, and what it actually dried out to didn't like like the same color I put on the wall wet.

My bike is the same color.  I've talked to a couple of the paint suppliers above.  They told me this color is not a single color but rather 3 colors that are a compound application and that is why there isn't a touch up paint for it.  BMW dealer told me the same thing.  I just wanted to touch up the side case tiny bit but so far no luck.  One of the members here took his top case to an automotive paint shop and they painted to match.  It looked good, but that is far more paint work than I need...just a chip or two.  If you figure it out post back here please.

17 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

My bike is the same color.  I've talked to a couple of the paint suppliers above.  They told me this color is not a single color but rather 3 colors that are a compound application and that is why there isn't a touch up paint for it.  BMW dealer told me the same thing.  I just wanted to touch up the side case tiny bit but so far no luck.  One of the members here took his top case to an automotive paint shop and they painted to match.  It looked good, but that is far more paint work than I need...just a chip or two.  If you figure it out post back here please.

Will do, as i said NC9 showed up as what I assume is Callisto Grey.  Same issue here,  one small stone chip above my headlight - not looking to "Earl Schieb" the whole bike, lol.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for a source for specific BMW paint colors.  I have tried the ones linked in this thread and other recent threads, with no luck so far.  Any advice would be appreciated.  the colors are:

Pazifikblau 441 (Pacific Blue 2)

Marrakeschrot 392 (Marrakesh Red 2)

2 hours ago, Cap said:

I've been looking for a source for specific BMW paint colors.  I have tried the ones linked in this thread and other recent threads, with no luck so far.  Any advice would be appreciated.  the colors are:

Pazifikblau 441 (Pacific Blue 2)

Marrakeschrot 392 (Marrakesh Red 2)

Here you go: https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-paint/bmw-motorcycle-pazifikblau-2-met-441,12939/details

and the red: https://colorndrive.com/en/touch-up-paint/bmw-motorcycle-marakeschrot-2-392,13159/details

19 hours ago, realshelby said:

Jeeeees, they want as much for a bottle of that as I paid to have my top case painted!!!!!!

44 bucks to my house.........:27:.......that said, it's a perfect match.

• 2 months later...

I need the same color for

my 2014 RT.  Do they provide clear coat as well, or does that need to be purchased separately?

Motorhead1977

Great you found the touch up paint to match your color. I checked all the suppliers linked here. Unfortunately seems no one makes a touch up paint for my 2018 Mars Red. :-(  I had a body shop paint my top box and they mixed a perfect match but didn't end up with any useful volume for me to keep as a touch up paint.

20 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Great you found the touch up paint to match your color. I checked all the suppliers linked here. Unfortunately seems no one makes a touch up paint for my 2018 Mars Red. :-(  I had a body shop paint my top box and they mixed a perfect match but didn't end up with any useful volume for me to keep as a touch up paint.

If you haven't I'd look for it by paint code vs name.  To find out the code you can use this vin decoder https://www.mdecoder.com/

realoem.com shows BMW's code as M4R  for Mars Red Metallic.  Using that code, Google came up with some companies offering paint, like thetouchuppaint.com

I recently had my best-ever touch-up results using paint from scratcheshappen.com on our silver Toyota. In some spots, I had trouble finding the scratch to apply a second coat of clear.  They also offer Mars Red, though they seem to use a different code.

Motorhead1977

Well, I found that according to mdecoder .com the paint code is N1L so now I have to decipher whether it is in fact M4R or N1L.  Ahhhh, I love BMW, "If there's a way to make it more difficult we haven't found it yet".  LOL  And the search continues.  Thanks guys. :-)

Just ordered an NC9 Ebony Metallic  kit from Dr . Color Chip - made my own custom kit including the additional smoothing liquid and some squeegees to fix scratches on both side cases - $64 delivered.  A little pricey, but if it gets the job done as easily as it looks it will be worth it.

Thanks for the suggestion

4 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Well, I found that according to mdecoder .com the paint code is N1L so now I have to decipher whether it is in fact M4R or N1L.  Ahhhh, I love BMW, "If there's a way to make it more difficult we haven't found it yet".  LOL  And the search continues.  Thanks guys. :-)

The "fiche" info at realoem.com shows this:

Color mixture code
M4R mars red metallic paint
976 dark slate metallic paint matt
M4A jet black solid paint matt
For vehicles with
mars-rot met./schiefer-dunkel met. matt

WN1L=Yes

N1L is the color combination used on your bike, which uses parts with the color codes M4R, 976, and M4A.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:58 PM, 480VAC said:

my 2014 RT.  Do they provide clear coat as well, or does that need to be purchased separately?

Did not come with clear coat the color match is perfect though.

16 minutes ago, Veefore said:

Did not come with clear coat the color match is perfect though.

On 5/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, 480VAC said:

Dr. ColorChip does have the clear sealant, check online.  They run 15% off oftenl, I'm sure they have something working for Memorial Day

Veefore… Im thinking about getting enough to paint the top lids on my panniers.  I'll check in with them and see how much paint they think I would need to do that.  If reasonable I may by the paint and take to a painter to fix my darn boot chip marks.

I got a response back from Dr Chip quickly.  Here is their answer for buying larger quantity.  "The largest bottle is a 1 oz. that we offer for $36 each, so this option may not be the best for you to fully paint the saddle bags."

Any professional painters on here who would take a guess on how much paint needed to paint the top part of the panniers?

This paint is pretty crazy expensive this way.  Gallon...128 oz x $36 =$4608  I know a gallon would paint the whole fleet but I was thinking 1/2 pint 8 oz x $36 = $288.  I might be willing to spend that if I can find someone who could paint as new.  The bags aren't dented in anyway...just scratched from boot marks.  Considering BMW wants nearly$600 per side...might be worth it.  I learned my lesson and if I get them painted they will have some plastic protector next time.

15 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I got a response back from Dr Chip quickly.  Here is their answer for buying larger quantity.  "The largest bottle is a 1 oz. that we offer for $36 each, so this option may not be the best for you to fully paint the saddle bags."

Any professional painters on here who would take a guess on how much paint needed to paint the top part of the panniers?

This paint is pretty crazy expensive this way.  Gallon...128 oz x $36 =$4608  I know a gallon would paint the whole fleet but I was thinking 1/2 pint 8 oz x $36 = $288.  I might be willing to spend that if I can find someone who could paint as new.  The bags aren't dented in anyway...just scratched from boot marks.  Considering BMW wants nearly$600 per side...might be worth it.  I learned my lesson and if I get them painted they will have some plastic protector next time.

My personal experience is that, if you know the paint code AND the BMW name of that paint code, taking that info to a good automotive paint company will allow them to look the color up and match it.  In my case, 1/2 pint of perfectly-matched paint cost $82.  Take that paint to a good automotive paint shop and you'll like the result.  We all know that nothing associated with "messing about with motorcycles" is cheap.  Let's all go riding!  

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

My dealer directed me to a local body/paint shop they use.  I took the plastic from the top case (originally silver) to be painted plus the plastic from one saddle bag for purposes of matching.  I was told they didn't need or care about paint number, they would shoot it with their computer.  $200, perfect match, even the glittery red that only shows in direct sunlight.