IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

• 2 weeks later...
AnotherLee

Cookin---

A little hard to understand the words. If you right click on the image,  "Copy video url", go there  and scroll down to Reina's comments and click on "More".  You see the lyrics. This  puts a whole new meaning to this happy melody - it's about infidelity. Maybe this explains the sorrow on Andrew's face from time to time. But when he looks at Toni's whole body jumping with the rhythm he can't help but smile.

I have tried to decide who's mainly driving this. Toni's rhythm guitar is so good, Andrew is on time and in tune and  so is Reina who wrote it. I think they are working together and when that happens it's something special. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Just my opinion as a non-musician.

Edited by AnotherLee
I needed the words - maybe you do too.
  • Like 1
AnotherLee

Anybody remember "shoobie doobie do doobie do wop bop"? Younger riders may marvel that anyone would sing such a thing, but we did!

• Like 1

Bill McClintock makes these crazy mashups of Metal and Soul.  He also matches up the video pretty well too.

• Haha 2
chrisolson

Still stuck in the late 60's in San Francisco

Its really hard to make out but on the opening track,  Bill Graham introduces them as "Four gentlemen and one great, great broad ... Big Brother & the Holding Company"

Its amazing the raw power and honesty of  Janis' early  vocals ... the backing band was derided later on as not really being very good musicians ... but in reality they were on par with most of their contemporaries. 

And of course, most of the music of this time was enjoyed along with certain botanical enhancements.

1291582368_ScreenShot2020-05-20at6_41_35PM.thumb.png.6b09dfbee8924d5d94fefa175bfedc0f.png

• Like 1
Warren Dean

The Hu. Mongolian Hunnu rock. Awesome stuff.  Morin Khuur,  Tovshuur and throat singing...unbelieveable.....

4 hours ago, brianh70 said:

Bill McClintock makes these crazy mashups of Metal and Soul.  He also matches up the video pretty well too.

Those are well done and pretty entertaining!

roadscholar
On 5/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, chrisolson said:

1287043415_ScreenShot2020-05-18at8_40_45PM.thumb.png.1af613315a50a402d97170f6c8e1c32c.png

1 hour ago, chrisolson said:

Still stuck in the late 60's in San Francisco  

It made me think of Country Joe and the Fish, Canned Heat, Iron Butterfly, and more.. good stuff. Some of us are older than others : )

chrisolson
2 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

Country Joe and the Fish

"

And it's one, two, three,
What are we fighting for ?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam;
And it's five, six, seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die."

Different times for sure.

• Like 1

The. Country Joe albums still hold up pretty well I think, as does Janis.  They’re both part of my core playlist. 

9 hours ago, roadscholar said:

It made me think of Country Joe and the Fish, Canned Heat, Iron Butterfly, and more.. good stuff. Some of us are older than others : )

How about Fever Tree and Blue Cheer?  I would grab records out of my older brother's collection and play them on my little orange Snoopy record player.  Good times!  :classic_biggrin:

10 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Those are well done and pretty entertaining!

I know, right?  You could kill a couple of hours on Youtube going through his work.  Who would've thought to mix Motorhead and James Brown?

When Powerslave came out in '84, listening to "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner", I just had to go back and actually read Coleridges epic.  In 9th grade English, we were forced to read it, which means for me, I skimmed and paid attention none to the words on the paper, but after Maiden pushed it out,......and after the re-read,......it is a grand work!!!  The song mimics the poem in being "long".  Maiden's song chimes in at over 13 minutes.  The above mash up is video taken from their "Flight 666" world tour, which covered 23 shows in 13 countries in 45 days,..........with the lead singer, Bruce Dickinson being the pilot for the 757 "Ed Force One", which carried everything needed for the show.

One of my all time favorite bands.

This is always blasting outside my office door:

Contrary to the title of this youtube vid, it does not make me want to sleep, it does not reduce stress, it does not calm my mind and it does not improve focus,......it is, quite irritating.

RandyShields

Love the Pretenders and Chrissy Hynde.  Fantastic and creative music.  Many think she is British, but she graduated with friends of mine down the street at Firestone HS in Akron, OH.  Immediately bolted to London where she made a name for herself in the band scene.  She has done pretty well.  The song "A O, way to go Ohio" --- all about Akron.  Or as we like to call it -- the planet ARKON.  

• Like 1
Sandlapper
On 5/14/2020 at 11:01 PM, Whip said:

D5D954FB-D047-4CF9-A3F0-A8C4417C5D8D.jpeg

Hey Whip I too like to listen to a audio book while riding....It's a nice change up from music all the time....Clive Cussler, Celtic Empire is on my phone but I do like my music as well

A little Sturgill Simpson

• Like 1

I'm a guitar fanatic, don't play a lick but love to sit down and listen to almost any guitar.  I remember seeing this entire show on ACL , alate 80s perhaps, and was knocked out by "Cliffs of Dover" so I purchased his CD,"Ah visa Musicom", and played it over and over for all my friends on a ski trip from Dallas to Taos until they beat me to stop:5590:.  Later acquired the dvd of the show.

• Like 1

One thing this thread has done is open my mind to "other stuff". Looking across the Pond, and elsewhere for eclectic performances. Is it my go-to music? No, but who can deny the quality of the performance!

6 hours ago, realshelby said:

One thing this thread has done is open my mind to "other stuff". Looking across the Pond, and elsewhere for eclectic performances. Is it my go-to music? No, but who can deny the quality of the performance!

A band that since it's formation in 1994 has remained the same, no members have left.

Listen to Deutschland from the 2019 album and Pussy from "Liebe ist für alle da".  Additionally, Till Lindeman has a side gig simply called Lindeman.  You can watch the concert video for Buch Dich, pretty entertaining.  The stuff they get away with on youtube is amazing (Auslander, Pussy).

If'n you like the German stuff, you might want to check out Eisbrecher as well.

I asked Mr. Peabody to set the wabac machine to waaaaaay back.  And here's what we found.

A true all time classic from 1959.  I had the privilege to see them live in '66  or '67 at the University of Arizona Auditorium.  Wow... time flies ....

They did a lot of stuff made famous from this album ... including Blue Rondo A La Turk and Take Five.  I can still remember Joe Morello's solo being so understated but so right with Brubeck's piano and Eugene Wright's bass to riff against.

2041426635_ScreenShot2020-06-23at1_39_01PM.thumb.png.aae4e7d8025cad57128e83400bc7c19e.png

• Like 3
lawnchairboy
47 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

I asked Mr. Peabody to set the wabac machine to waaaaaay back.  And here's what we found.

A true all time classic from 1959.  I had the privilege to see them live in '66  or '67 at the University of Arizona Auditorium.  Wow... time flies ....

They did a lot of stuff made famous from this album ... including Blue Rondo A La Turk and Take Five.  I can still remember Joe Morello's solo being so understated but so right with Brubeck's piano and Eugene Wright's bass to riff against.

2041426635_ScreenShot2020-06-23at1_39_01PM.thumb.png.aae4e7d8025cad57128e83400bc7c19e.png

Wow.  What a treat it must have been to see.

13 minutes ago, lawnchairboy said:

Wow.  What a treat it must have been to see.

It's funny how music affects the human brain ... listening to it again has brought back all sorts of  memories  from around that time ... and obviously the concert itself was a special event. 

Even though the album had been released years earlier, Brubeck's popularity was still on the upswing.  Things moved a bit slower back then.

If I remember, the auditorium was packed as the concert was open to the public, not just the university.  

• 4 weeks later...