IGNORED

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Indy Dave

Digital or analog, streaming or your own, audio or video (concert/performance) - share what's grooving you. Photo/screenshot  is preferred, not mandatory. A link so others can listen to what you're sharing is nice as well.

I'll start with: Stevie Ray Vaughan's Live Alive album, and the song  "Life Without You" -one of my favorite SRV songs. I had the double album, and at some point I decided to get the double CD from the local record store. When I got home and went to play Life Without You . . . it wasn't on the CD! WTF! I went right back to return it, and the local owner - who was always a tool and was the type that felt he was doing you a favor by letting you buy his stuff, would not refund the money.

1178243281_SRVLiveAlive.thumb.jpg.2d46bdee7c728ac1749217ec0f2612ef.jpg

1122295355_SRVLiveAlive2.thumb.jpg.cad5622df0c45344672c6e42da738680.jpg

Edited by Indy Dave
  • Like 1

I am more into Audible.com than music these days. Current choice...Mark Dawson’s “Bright Lights”  book #15 in the John Milton series. 

John Ranalletta
40 minutes ago, Whip said:

I am more into Audible.com than music these days. Current choice...Mark Dawson’s “Bright Lights”  book #15 in the John Milton series. 

Disappointed our library doesn't stock Dawson's books in audible form.  My stack is full of un-listened books as I mostly listen while driving and ain't been driving much.  Watched Tana French's "Dublin Murders" and enjoyed so have her other novels on the shelf.  Musically, listening to Maria Callas operas occasionally.  Yes. Because opera and Maria Callas.

Enjoy the Keys.

AZgman - Thanks. The Mrs and I were in Encinitas visiting my sister in 2017. A childhood friend of my sisters was also visiting, and at her suggestion, we all headed off to The Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach to see The Bright Social Hour and Galactic. What a show - I had no idea what to expect and none of us had heard of either band, excerpt for the visiting friend  - but I left The Belly Up wanting more and having to settle for a cd from the merch table. The opening track to Space is Still The Place, Sweet Madeline is on a few of my 'ride mixes'. I find when it's playing, I need to be mindful of my pace, because starting at 1:10 the strangely subtle drums begin to build and at 1:15 that subtle yet driving drum beat tries as hard as it can to influence me to twist ....and..... twist the wrist. The first time that happened, it caught me off guard, because this isn't the normal type of tune to can drive my riding.

I'd not heard of SUN RA - thanks for the reference. Pretty interesting indeed. I got about 1/3 of the way through the song before duties beckoned. My initial impression was uncertain. Now with headphones and listening again while I work on my helmet, I like it. I've actually listened to it twice, hearing more with each listen. It's not something I could listen to when I ride, but it's kind cool to have in my head while I'm tasking away at the usual nothingness.

@Living the Dream - The Planets is an interesting piece. Obviously, the first piece feels a little ominous and Star Wars-like, and I had trouble shaking that feeling I was going to see a Battle Cruiser fly by at any moment. One of the wonderful things about music is how it can stimulate the brain is so many ways and be so emotive. I liked the middles pieces best and felt more free of SiFi vibe - although that lingers somewhat throughout. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The middle bits just didn't feel so ominous. A nice piece, and one that I'll no doubt visit again.

@AZgman Whoa! Dude! Ripplegroove's Dance Bit*hes has a awesome...... wait for it .. .. groove! Hints of Booker T came to mind as I listened, I really like this tune. I see the band is now called Redux.

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

@Living the Dream - The Planets is an interesting piece. Obviously, the first piece feels a little ominous and Star Wars-like, and I had trouble shaking that feeling I was going to see a Battle Cruiser fly by at any moment. One of the wonderful things about music is how it can stimulate the brain is so many ways and be so emotive. I liked the middles pieces best and felt more free of SiFi vibe - although that lingers somewhat throughout. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The middle bits just didn't feel so ominous. A nice piece, and one that I'll no doubt visit again.

It's called the planets, of course it's gonna feel star wars/sci-fi like.  If I recall correctly, the first time I heard any of this composer, was in one of the Conan movies. 

If you like sci-fi feeling music, check out Oblivion by M83

1 hour ago, Living the Dream said:

One big crescendo.

That is a fact! That song was written as a bet between two friends, that a song couldn't be written that was just crescendo with no bridge. Guess who won?

I hope the original Star Trek paid him royalties for using his song often in the series, usually during fight scenes.

And Bo Derek in her braids pop right into my head. Unfortunately, so does Dudley Moore...

54 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

That is a fact! That song was written as a bet between two friends, that a song couldn't be written that was just crescendo with no bridge. Guess who won?

I hope the original Star Trek paid him royalties for using his song often in the series, usually during fight scenes.

And Bo Derek in her braids pop right into my head. Unfortunately, so does Dudley Moore...

Ya, and uh, I dig this too

58 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I just happened on to that last night (Disturbed) but seems I remember somebody posting something from them here. You?

Maybe, maybe not, my taste in music is extremely wiiiiiiiiiiiiide........nearly every genre I have. 

If you recall a few years ago, Lorde had a pop hit of "Royals",.......I kinda like the remake by Otep better.

• Like 1

I’ve been hooked on a “lost” album by Gene Clark, one of the founding members of the Byrds called “No Other”, especially great lyrics.  It was released in 74 to no fanfare but is now getting its due. I don’t know how I missed it back then but it’s great. This is a tribute show to the album, not Gene’s voice but a great representation of the record. 

• Like 1

I stumbled on this one a couple months ago, and it has stuck with me. One of my new favorite best lines on a song, " My life's ok, just when you're not around me." Not everyone's cup of tea, but that's what makes music.

3 hours ago, TEWKS said:

A tribute to our military with a Five Finger Death Punch cover! :thumbsup:

edit...oops, just realized I’m not following directions. Please forgive. :grin:

they are a band that cares, not for just military but law enforcement and fire suppression technicians too. Ima big fan of them.   And the founder is an immigrant and all around badass!!

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Living the Dream said:

fire suppression technicians 

Like that, mind if we use that in wage negotiations? ;) Gotta have a little smarts if you’re a F.S. technician! :D

Never knew they existed until I ventured down that Disturbed rabbit hole. :) Yep, they seem like a badass band! :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Like that, mind if we use that in wage negotiations? ;) Gotta have a little smarts if you’re a F.S. technician! :D

Never knew they existed until I ventured down that Disturbed rabbit hole. :) Yep, they seem like a badass band! :thumbsup:

Check out Zoltan's  biography, pay attention to the "personal life",......like I said, all around badass.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
John Ranalletta

My son turned me on to WFMU , a collection of streams from an independent station in NJ.  Hard to describe.  Very eclectic like just this morning one of the streams was early rock 'n roll with radio ads and promos from the 60's (Ford 1960 pickup).

wfmu.org

image.thumb.png.61c1d3da99eecba85f979175ed98d8db.png

The app

image.thumb.png.4e16c1803ea143186af5f87ecabc058e.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a jazz enthusiast and at the moment I'm streaming KMHD a Portland, OR jazz station.  I also like WBGO from Newark, NJ and KEWU from Eastern Washington University in Cheney, WA.  KCSM in the San Francisco bay area isn't bad either.  Kind of hate to admit that I listen to a CA radio station me being an old narrow minded card carrying Oregonian but it's not a bad jazz station with a great music library.

I use a Grace internet radio tuner with the analog output connected to a Marantz analog amp which drives a pair of 12" three way KLH speakers.  I also have an Ocean Digital portable internet radio in my shop.  One of the few things I really like about the internet that and occasionally this and one other forum.  Oh, and Weather Underground.  Also Amazon although I don't at all like what Amazon has done to the bricks and mortar retail industry.

My story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1