IGNORED

Drying a Schuberth C4 helmet w/pinlock anti-fog lense

wbw6cos

At the January SECFF lunch, a discussion came up about Schuberth helmets.  I mentioned that I had a C4 and that I had to get a new pinlock antifog lense after I dried the helmet in the dryer.  

One of the issues I have with the C4 is that, after riding in the rain, the liner tends to get wet.  Usually, the padding around the base of the helmet remains damp enough that it will not air dry-out overnight in my garage.  Enter my solution to speed up the process with 20 minutes, or so, in the clothes dryer.

A few days after I dried the helmet for the first time, I had the pinlock antifog lense fall out of place while riding.  Later, I tried with all my might and could not re-insert the pinlock.  It no longer fit properly to stay in place. It is my belief that the heat from the dryer may have affected the pinlock size.  I would highly recommend anyone attempting to dry out their helmet using this method that they remove the face shield prior to puting the helmet in the dryer.  That way the pinlock anti-fog lense will not suffer ill effects from the heat.  

One of the suggestions at the lunch discussion was to just remove the liner to dry it out, but I contend that the helmet will still be damp beyond the liner.  I also do not feel like removing the padding as placing the whole helmet in the dryer is more convenient. That is the reasoning behind my method.  

YMMV!!

Cheers,

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

At the January SECFF lunch, a discussion came up about Schuberth helmets.  I mentioned that I had a C4 and that I had to get a new pinlock antifog lense after I dried the helmet in the dryer.  

One of the issues I have with the C4 is that, after riding in the rain, the liner tends to get wet.  Usually, the padding around the base of the helmet remains damp enough that it will not air dry-out overnight in my garage.  Enter my solution to speed up the process with 20 minutes, or so, in the clothes dryer.

A few days after I dried the helmet for the first time, I had the pinlock antifog lense fall out of place while riding.  Later, I tried with all my might and could not re-insert the pinlock.  It no longer fit properly to stay in place. It is my belief that the heat from the dryer may have affected the pinlock size.  I would highly recommend anyone attempting to dry out their helmet using this method that they remove the face shield prior to puting the helmet in the dryer.  That way the pinlock anti-fog lense will not suffer ill effects from the heat.  

One of the suggestions at the lunch discussion was to just remove the liner to dry it out, but I contend that the helmet will still be damp beyond the liner.  I also do not feel like removing the padding as placing the whole helmet in the dryer is more convenient. That is the reasoning behind my method.  

YMMV!!

Cheers,

I'm still have uncontrollable laughter regarding the tale. Perhaps you should not have used the "tumble dry" mode. 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another tip I can give would be to put the helmet in the carrying bag that originally came with it before you place it in the dryer.  That will protect the outer shell from unnecessary scratches, if you know what I mean.  

• Like 1

There is a small gelatinous gasket that seals the pinlock on the visor. No doubt that was affected somehow.

Maybe you need to change dryer sheets to "unscented'?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I share in everyone's humorous take of this story but...

...is this a story or did the OP actually put the helmet in the dryer. I can't really tell if he's kidding or serious.

When I first mentioned this, I was serious.  I actually did put my helmet in the dryer.   Everybody's first thought was *boom, bang, boom, boom, bang* and they all bust out in laughter.  I was thinking to myself "what is so funny about that?'  Oh, well.   Then it dawned on me that they do not know about the rack.  I use it for my workboots, too.

I was going to run with it a little longer so that Terry can get a chuckle, or two.  Now that I posted a photo of the dryer-set-up, the joke has run its course.

As an aside, I do have to keep it flipped down (modular helmet) so that it will not actually get hit by the baffles.  :dopeslap:

20200113_174142.thumb.jpg.a666ad8dcdc50be6ea8753ef4b6908f5.jpg

• Like 3

I was hoping you where using a drying rack of sorts. 
I have a 6” two speed fan, that I setup to blow air into the large opening, then I close the visor and open all vents. 

• Like 1

You would not believe the SECFF attendees that actually thought..........tumbling around in the dryer.   That, my friend, was hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2