IGNORED

Annual Registration Fees

Miguel!

Are you talking about yearly license tabs? Minnesota went up to $19 this year, from $16.50 last year. Getting a little out of control here...

Yeah, exactly. I fixed the thread title to reflect that. Our fees go down as the vehicle ages. $19 probably doesn't cover the record keeping costs!!

Miguel

20 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Are you talking about yearly license tabs? Minnesota went up to $19 this year, from $16.50 last year. Getting a little out of control here...

At least he can ride his bike year round 😎

cheers

Tush

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
40 minutes ago, Tush said:

cheers

Tush

Indeed! 59F and sunny skies with scattered clouds. I'll be out riding in about an hour. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mike1997 RT said:

1997 RT........$153.00

2019 Harley........$505.00

Guess which state I live in!

😡

I presume CA but I'm surprised you are I are paying the same rate as me but for the same bike but your's 4 years older. Miguel

I think that may be close to the minimum .

everything has a plus and a minus . 

I refuse to get into a political thing but, we have roads in decent shape , weather allowing us to ride year round , freeways allowing motorcycles to ride in the car pool lanes, legal lane splitting for those who care to, some of the best fruit and vegetables at the lowest prices in the country , and depending on where you live, one can both water and snow ski in the same day. 

I have lived in Calif all my life and I love it here . 

you couldn’t pay me to live in the L.A. or S.F. areas but I know people who live there and have adapted and are happy in that world as well. 

I live in the center of Calif , 160 miles from the ocean, about an hour from Yosemite about the same from the Sequoias. 

Our “rush hour”adds about 15 minutes to a cross town trip and lasts about 90

minutes .  big city visitors find our complaining about the traffic comical . 

My oldest bike now, 1965 H-D was $161.00 in 2017 when I put it in “non-op”.

When gov Brown raised the gas tax he also raised dmv fees. My budget won’t allow the increase in percentage over the past few years.

I’ll sit on them until I sell them or relocate somewhere else. The RT I’ll give to my son in Tennessee.

Even my 1997 Chevy van was $153 this year!

8 minutes ago, Tri750 said:

I think that may be close to the minimum .

everything has a plus and a minus . 

I refuse to get into a political thing but, we have roads in decent shape , weather allowing us to ride year round , freeways allowing motorcycles to ride in the car pool lanes, legal lane splitting for those who care to, some of the best fruit and vegetables at the lowest prices in the country , and depending on where you live, one can both water and snow ski in the same day. 

I have lived in Calif all my life and I love it here . 

you couldn’t pay me to live in the L.A. or S.F. areas but I know people who live there and have adapted and are happy in that world as well. 

I live in the center of Calif , 160 miles from the ocean, about an hour from Yosemite about the same from the Sequoias. 

Our “rush hour”adds about 15 minutes to a cross town trip and lasts about 90

minutes .  big city visitors find our complaining about the traffic comical . 

I have also lived here all my life, was born here.

Yes, we pay a high “sunshine” tax, but enjoy all the pluses you mentioned.

15 minutes ago, Mike1997 RT said:

I have also lived here all my life, was born here.

Yes, we pay a high “sunshine” tax, but enjoy all the pluses you mentioned.

I didn't realize there was a floor to the fees. I just looked at my 2019 registration which list the fees paid: It was $151. I thought they just kept dropping as the vehicle gets older. 

I'm another huge California advocate. I LOVE it here. There is something we don't have tho: Mosquitos. Most of us don't anyway  unless you live to close stagnant fresh water. Hey, I'm just bragging. 

Miguel😎

In North Carolina the inspection, registration and property taxes are all billed together. When a vehicle gets to 35 years old, annual inspections are no longer required. My Airheads were dropping in book value as they got to age 35, and then when they no longer needed inspection they suddenly increased in book value and the property tax assessment increased several fold. The fee is still pretty reasonable so I won’t complain too much.

Surprisingly, California doesn’t have a safety inspection program for either motorcycle or cars. Also, they are not taxed as property but perhaps that’s built into the annual registration fees

Miguel

In Ohio the vehicle registration fee is based solely on vehicle class and usage. Passenger cars are $34.50. Non-commercial trucks and vans up to 3/4 ton (like my Nissan Frontier pickup truck) are $49.50. Motorcycles, regardless of size, are $28.50.

The county you live in adds a small fee ($5 per vehicle, I think), and the registrar's office charges a small fee, etc.

And, we have all those great roads in the east and southeast part of the state. It's a motorcycle wonderland! (Except for winter weather.)

On 1/11/2020 at 12:29 PM, Tush said:

cheers

Tush

I joined this site not long ago, and already I don't like you guys!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, catskill said:

NY annual registration fee is $17.50

Yearly insurance (liability only) $109

Yearly inspection: $6

Enjoying the ride after all that is paid .......................................................... priceless.

2017 Tahoe...$53

2018 Lexus $53

2014 Motorcycle $53

Gasoline here is $2.09

State Income Tax $0....but wait

Real Estate Tax $19500....one way or the other you get to pay.

My house in California was worth nearly twice what my house in Texas is and the real estate tax in CA was half....however....

Income tax 11 ish ( don't remember exactly)

Regristrations in the 100's...when we first moved there car's were much higher but I believe Arnold ratcheted it back...or Moonbeam did not sure which.

Tax on Boat because it was self contained...considered 2nd home ( not by me)

Everything else especially insurance 2-3 times.

Gasoline very high due to tax and tax went to general fund...not roads.

That said...CA is a beautiful state with tons of good riding especially the coast and Sierra's..  Weather is fantastic…..the rest of it is just weird. I lived in San Francisco for 20 years.

My riding in Texas....flat...hot....but I get to go really fast and I love the coast here.  Water is warm and fishing is awesome.

My motorcycles in Oregon are $78 for two years.  We register cars and motorcycles for two years.

Hey, Montana motorcycle registration renewal is never.  The plate has PERMANENT printed on it.  Pretty good but they make up for it on car registration big time.

13 hours ago, catskill said:

NY annual registration fee is $17.50

Yearly insurance (liability only) $109

Yearly inspection: $6

Liability Insurance is a function of coverage, the more coverage from exposure, the higher the premium.  The point being that without knowing coverage it can't be a benchmark of either expensive or inexpensive.

$54 here in the great Republic of Texas (south Texas specifically). Year round ridin' as well.  The high cost of living in California (including taxes) is why I left.

Here's how it works in Montana.  The following does not include any county or city "add-ons" which can significantly increase the fees.  This is directly from the Montana Department of Justice website. 

Motorcycle and Quadricycle Registration and Fees

Permanent registration – Under MCA 61-3-321, all street-legal motorcycles and quadricycles must be registered permanently. You may register a motorcycle or quadricycle for both highway and off-highway use by paying the fees for both uses.

Street-legal Motorcycle and Quadricycle One-time Fees

Fees below will include the 3% Administrative Fee when transaction is conducted.

Fee Amount
Flat fee – street-legal only, or $53.25
Flat fee – street-legal/off-highway combination use $114.50
Motorcycle/Quadricycle Safety Fee $16.00
Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fee $10.00
Chrome for Kids plate See Service Organizations Plate Designs  
Plate Manufacturing Fee $10.00
Off-highway Motorcycle and Quadricycle One-time Fees
Fee Amount
Flat fee $61.25
Montana Highway Patrol Salary and Retention Fee $10.00

The single permanent decal for off-highway vehicles is white and includes the abbreviation “PERM”.

I live in Southern Ontario, Canada. Our yearly registration is $42.  I’m happy with that...what I’m not happy with are our insurance rates...

Cheers

Tush

Registration here in MD is $104 on my bike for two years. I have another bike registered in Florida and it is around $30 a year. The savings in Florida is that you are not required to have insurance if the bike is paid for. I still have insurance on it though.

Wisconsin plate renewal is $23 biennial, so $11.50 per year.  $3 is earmarked for rider education.  Used to be the Gubment would steal that rider education money and put into the general fund for other nonsense spending, but a law suite brought mainly by  ABATE of Wisconsin won the restoration of stolen funds and forced the state to spend it as defined by the law stating that it was a tack on fee for rider education.  

Here is NW Arkansas yearly registration is $9.50, but then they get you with a personal property tax, 20% of their value for the bike x the millage rate. For last year mine was $145  for two bikes, 04 1100S and 16 1200RS, however personal property goes down every year. 2020 looks like it will only be $102. 

In CT, every 2 years:

$38 - Registration Fee

$10 - Clean Air Act Fee

$10 - Passport to Parks Fee

$4 - Driver Education Fee

$62 - Total every 2 years

Additionally, we also pay motor vehicles tax annually that is based on our town's mill rate and the current estimated value of the vehicle. If you live in a town with a low mill rate, you will pay less than in a neighboring town with a high mill rate.

$31 - Annual MV Tax

48 states, not counting the other two, and all of them think they can re-invent the wheel.  How dufus is that really?  I think pretty inefficient.  Canada maybe had the right idea.

2008 1200RT in Iowa, $10 per year.  I license a car, a pick up truck, and the 1200RT for less than just the car when I lived in Illinois.  My property tax is 27% of what I paid in Illinois.