IGNORED

Neil Peart

JR356

• 1 month later...

I just finished listening to "Ghost Rider". When I first heard of the book and read a synopsis I was not interested, but after his death I decided to give it a listen. I found it very interesting and entertaining. Maybe I have become a  bit more introspective in my advanced age.

RIP Ghost Rider

My copy of Ghost Rider is worn and frayed. I have read it multiple times and lent it to many friends. It has lifted me up in troubled times. My wife is dyslexic so I’m getting her an audio book version to enjoy. I also own all of his other books. While good, especially Roadshow none of them are on par with Ghost Rider. 

I also read the book recently - bought it for a friend who is a huge Rush fan but not into motorcycles at all. He and I were sitting together when I read of Neil Peart’s death, I told my friend and I thought he was going to cry - not a normal thing for him. 

Anyway, I had a few days between receiving the book and when I’d next see the friend, so I read it. I really enjoyed the first half - probably because I had missed Mr. Peart by days/weeks in a few places that year, and all the western Canada and Northwest locations he visited were places I’d been when I started riding and just road tripping/camping in my adult life. 

I also bought, for myself, his book on his African bicycle tour, but I have not started it yet. 

Masked Rider was a tough read for me. Great story though. Roadshow-Landscape With Drums was much more entertaining.  It covers his rides and situations from show to show on their American/Europe tour. His tales and descriptions are very humorous and colorful. 

The link JR356 provided tends to piss me off. Rolling Stone never gave Rush any kudos until they had to after Rush’s RRHOF Induction. Fawning over Peart after the fact kind of misses the mark IMO. 

• 2 months later...
lawnchairboy
On 2/17/2020 at 9:56 PM, Rinkydink said:

Masked Rider was a tough read for me. Great story though. Roadshow-Landscape With Drums was much more entertaining.  It covers his rides and situations from show to show on their American/Europe tour. His tales and descriptions are very humorous and colorful. 

The link JR356 provided tends to piss me off. Rolling Stone never gave Rush any kudos until they had to after Rush’s RRHOF Induction. Fawning over Peart after the fact kind of misses the mark IMO. 

RS treated rush terribly throughout most of their career.  Which made their induction into the RR hall of fame induction speech by the Foo Fighters and the complete hysteria of the assembled fans in the venue that much better.  Wenner didn't even get the bands name out of his mouth before the assembled masses went totally insane.  Neil was a genius.

for anyone interested you tube "rush rock and roll hall of fame indeuction speech" or something like that.  In and of itself entertaining.   "Rock and roll hall of fame: Jann wenner (2013 clip)"

• Like 1